Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Why did Jerry Krause destroy the Bulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Because he thought they'd be a younger version of the Spurs twin towers. With Curry being the offensive dynamite, and Chandler being a great low post defender. Great idea! just the wrong players.
    Hmm.... Just seems weird. Trade an established up and coming star for an unknown drafted out of HS rookie. In sports you ALWAYS take the sure thing over the gamble if you're in rebuilding mode. If you already have nice pieces you can afford the gamble.. but if you're young and don't have much talent it's stupid to make a high risk move like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dee-rose
    The draft picks were a huge fail, but it didn't really help us that we had a million picks in probably the worst draft of the decade. One of the huge kickers was that we traded Pipp for a freaking second round pick. Great management right there. Pippen wasn't an all star anymore after that injury but he wasn't some scrub either. The biggest problems we had were patience with rookies, coaching and image. Honestly, if we had stuck with Elton Brand and hired someone, say, not named Tim freaking Floyd, then the bulls could have been a completely different team.
    Well we had a shitload of picks those first two years, Brand/Curry, Tyson, Crawford, Williams(who I think would have been great), Fizer, Some foreign guy that never played, Artest. from like 2000-02 we had like 12. They were just shitty drafts. Agreed about the Floyd thing. Good college coach, turrible NBA coach. Brand+williams would have been ****ing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Hmm.... Just seems weird. Trade an established up and coming star for an unknown drafted out of HS rookie. In sports you ALWAYS take the sure thing over the gamble if you're in rebuilding mode. If you already have nice pieces you can afford the gamble.. but if you're young and don't have much talent it's stupid to make a high risk move like that.
    I think Krause really thought he'd win out on the gamble, and that when he did, people would look at him like he was some basketball genius. It all really comes down to his ego.

EDIT: Gotta love Reinsdorfs comments on how we would have been mediocre if we resigned everyone again? WTF were we doing after all those guys left? Winning championships or something? :

I think at the time, Tyson was compared to KG, which defensively, he arguably is. But offensively.

Unrelated:but IMO the reason why Curry/Chandler/Kwame etc etc were all busts, NONE of them had post games in high school really. Hell Curry just used his brute strength to play even in the NBA. I mean watch footage of their rookie years and compare them to now. Same exact offensive moves.

Well we had a shitload of picks those first two years, Brand/Curry, Tyson, Crawford, Williams(who I think would have been great), Fizer, Some foreign guy that never played, Artest. from like 2000-02 we had like 12. They were just shitty drafts. Agreed about the Floyd thing. Good college coach, turrible NBA coach. Brand+williams would have been ****ing great.
    ****ing motorcycles.

Better coaching could have really developed Chandler, kept Artest and Williams and if we kept Brand, BOOM, good team right there.

I think Krause really thought he'd win out on the gamble, and that when he did, people would look at him like he was some basketball genius. It all really comes down to his ego.

EDIT: Gotta love Reinsdorfs comments on how we would have been mediocre if we resigned everyone again? WTF were we doing after all those guys left? Winning championships or something? :
    Haha yea I noticed those comments and chuckled. Even if your players are in their mid 30's.. they are established 3 time defending champs you don't break it up. Michael was still the best even at 36 years old. Chemistry>talent. Look at the recent Lakers and Celtics? Among oldest teams in the league.. compete for title every year.

****ing motorcycles.

Better coaching could have really developed Chandler, kept Artest and Williams and if we kept Brand, BOOM, good team right there.
    No kidding. We probably could have won a title right there. The Bulls/Pistons rivalry would have been intense as hell again too.

Keep in mind though Brand was trading for Chandler.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Honestly what personnel moves did Krause make that stood out? I always thought Krause was overrated, none of his draft picks really panned out (although they were at the end of the round) and besides dealing Perdue for Rodman I don't remember him making any other big trades.

Well he did draft Pippen and Grant, trade for Cartwright, and surround MJ with clutch shooters like Paxson, Armstrong and Kerr.

I think at the time, Tyson was compared to KG, which defensively, he arguably is. But offensively.

Unrelated:but IMO the reason why Curry/Chandler/Kwame etc etc were all busts, NONE of them had post games in high school really. Hell Curry just used his brute strength to play even in the NBA. I mean watch footage of their rookie years and compare them to now. Same exact offensive moves.
    Yea, but think about Dwight too. Athletic freak with no moves, but it obviously translated into the NBA. For guys like KG though, you could always tell he had grace and offensive ability. His passing ability, even back then, was pretty ridiculous.

****ing motorcycles.

Man... we can't forget Jay Williams. Fu**ing idiot for ruining his own career like that.

Yea, but think about Dwight too. Athletic freak with no moves, but it obviously translated into the NBA. For guys like KG though, you could always tell he had grace and offensive ability. His passing ability, even back then, was pretty ridiculous.
    True. Dwight had a good coach in Ewing though, eventually. Also KG started out as a small forward, and then grew like 5 inches.

No kidding. We probably could have won a title right there. The Bulls/Pistons rivalry would have been intense as hell again too.

Keep in mind though Brand was trading for Chandler.
    Oh yeah my bad. But hey, we got a unicorn now.

Oh yeah my bad. But hey, we got a unicorn now.
    HELL YEAH!

This was actually a pretty intellectual discussion for once.

Haha yea I noticed those comments and chuckled. Even if your players are in their mid 30's.. they are established 3 time defending champs you don't break it up. Michael was still the best even at 36 years old. Chemistry>talent. Look at the recent Lakers and Celtics? Among oldest teams in the league.. compete for title every year.
    I dunno about chemistry > talent, or even talent > chemistry. It's a combination of things. Malone and Stockton had amazing chemistry but couldn't overcome the talent of the bulls, and then there's the opposite with the pistons vs. lakers. Those are the obvious ones, atleast.

God, part 2 is so far off about Pippen being the reason the bulls broke up.

HELL YEAH!

This was actually a pretty intellectual discussion for once.
    Yeah, gotta troll extra hard tonight to make up for it.