Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Re: This is why Pierce is the most underrated SuperStar of this Era

Paul Pierce will end up top 20-25 in career points and morons will still say he wasn't a superstar, and doesn't belong in the HOF...

Welcome to ISH - where a career role player like Dennis Rodman is somehow a HOF player but soemone like PP isn't. You'll find its a quirky alternate reality. Now pass the hemlock.

Last edited by JohnnySic; 03-09-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Pierce one of the top STARS but never a superstar. A guy who has hardly cracked the top 10 each year can't be considered a superstar.

In response to the title of this thread : No Doubt About It

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Pierce one of the top STARS but never a superstar. A guy who has hardly cracked the top 10 each year can't be considered a superstar.
    Yeah over the course of his career, his average ranking is probably around 9th best in the league, but he's never been in the top 5 or 6. Shaq, Duncan, KG, and Kobe were the true superstars. Then Dirk and Nash have to be considered ahead of Pierce.

While others like Iverson, Carter, McGrady, etc have had years where they were ranked ahead of Pierce, their careers are all clearly worse than his, and really Pierce's 3-5 year peak is probably better than all of them as well, if you look past the pure stats.

Among his contemporaries, I'd say Pierce and Kidd are 7/8 in some order. Kidd might have the career advantage right now, and probably the slight peak advantage, so I'd put him 7th for now, but Pierce could pass him with a few more very nice seasons, especially with another championship.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    top 10 most marketed... you know better than that

Saw a basketball once

Paul Pierce is a great player and a future hall of famer. If you score over 20,000 points for the most successful organisation then that alone you should be in the HOF class.

Local High School Star

Paul Pierce has always been underrated and has always been a better player than Vince carter. Pierce before aquiring Ray and KG was one of the league premier scorers, best 4th qtr players and among league leaders in FT attempts per game. He has always been one of teh best rebounders at the 3 and one of the best defenders. He's been one of the better streak 3pt shooters in the league throughout his career and has lead the celtics to the playoffs 4 consecutive seasons with 1 Eastern conference finals appearance(prior to allen and KG). You're right he is not a superstar, just a star because superstardom is more a about media coverage and sports politics than about how good a player really is. I'm a die hard celtic fan and i'd admit that pierce was never the player that bryant is/was but he is/was a darn good player and deserves respect.He will no doubt make ti to the Hall of Fame and will always be the guy that outplayed Kobe bryant on both ends of the floor to win a championship and a Finals MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Dude, you nailed it. Really, what more needs to be said?
    short version, there are a bunch of haters (I myself being one of them)

Although it sickens me to say it, PP is a freaking amazing player. I love his moxy, even though it comes off as arrogant and I hate to see it, but all the good ones have it, heck, even some sorry players have it.

Pierce will go down as one of the greatest Celtics ever, that is all that needs to be said when considering some of the guys who donned that uniform.

I just threw up in my mouth a little

ROSE > THAN YOU IN-PAX-WE-TRUST's Avatar

Pierce has never been a top 10 player in the league. Sure. There are stretches where he can outperform a guy like Kobe, but there isn't a person alive who would start a team with him over Kobe.

Banned

Paul Pierce will end up top 20-25 in career points and morons will still say he wasn't a superstar, and doesn't belong in the HOF...

Welcome to ISH - where a career role player like Dennis Rodman is somehow a HOF player but soemone like PP isn't. You'll find its a quirky alternate reality. Now pass the hemlock.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MayCeltics
    Kobe is the most underrated. 5 rings and idiots are comparing him to AI, T-Mac and one ringed Paul Pierce still

Was Alex English a superstar? No neither is Pierce doesn't mean he's a bad player. English is a hall of famer ...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
    Pierce has never been a top 10 player in the league. Sure. There are stretches where he can outperform a guy like Kobe, but there isn't a person alive who would start a team with him over Kobe.
    I'd say he was top 10 maybe 8-10 years of his career. But never top 5. Kobe was top 5 for probably the entire 2nd half of his career.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
    I love his moxy, even though it comes off as arrogant and I hate to see it, but all the good ones have it, heck, even some sorry players have it.
    summary: some basketball players have attractive "moxy."

Learning to shoot layups brandowas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
    He absolutely has been a top 10 player for many of his seasons. I understand rings matter, but you must not remember how awful the teams he was on were during his prime. He single handedly made those teams overacheive, it's not his fault he was on bad teams most of his career.