Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: I really respect Dirk and Duncan now

That's because they've always had a competent FO who put solid players around them.

Are we forgetting about KG in minny? Now that's a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli2311
    we hold these superstars to a title or bust standard....then we get mad at them when they leave their teams. it makes no sense because often these teams don't give them what they need to win titles.

that was our point.
    I've never seen a more true statement on this forum. Repped.

It's funny, we used to rip these guys for only caring about the money. Now they are showing themselves to be just as interested in winning as dollar signs, and we''re using that to criticize them by saying they are taking shortcuts to titles. It makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    When did either of them have any reason to leave?
    This.

It'll be a snowy day in Los Angeles before Tim Duncan even considers demanding a trade out of a title contending team. As for Dirk, he led his team to the Finals in '06 and they haven't missed the playoffs since. He might be annoyed that the team hasn't won a title yet but the Mavs have been one of the top teams in the league for the past several years.
    Overall, they didn't nor will they ever ask to be traded because they don't need to be.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli2311
    hard to give kobe props for that when he's been on a top 2 team in the league now in 12 of his 15 years in the league.

8 years with prime shaq and having the greatest coach ever at your side for almost your entire prime as well.

sorry, hard to give him props for staying.
    I guess it's hard to give Duncan props too for having such great players and a great coach.

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    Maybe because he wanted out and put a gun to the fo's chest? Has nothing to do with hating.. It's not that I don't get why Kobe wanted out, but the fact still remains.
    Duncan did the same didn't he? Guess the fact still remains.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    Never said otherwise and I hold both these guys to the same standard.

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

I guess it's hard to give Duncan props too for having such great players and a great coach.
    i agree. duncan really never had a reason to leave. there was just this great potential opportunity brewing in orlando that obviously intrigued him.

but please don't compare kobe's supporting casts to duncan's. duncan has won all 4 of his titles as the best player and not one of those title teams had an all-nba player.

kobe played 8 years with prime shaq. was the 2nd best player for three of his titles, and has never won a title without an all-nba teammate.

completely absurd to compare the two.

Let's do a round up shall we?

Kobe played with Shaq and many other great players and had a great coach for many years. He threatened to leave unless the FO built a good team. Therefore Kobe sucks and deserves no respect.

Duncan played with Robinson and many other great players and had a great coach for many years. He threatened to leave unless the FO built a good team. Therefore Duncan sucks and deserves no respect.

Lebron and Bosh left their teams to join a superteam so that they can win. Therefore Lebron and Bosh sucks and deserves no respect.

ISH, where everyone is hated and no one gets any respect

no he didn't.

unless i'm mistaken i never heard duncan demand a trade midseason. duncan entertained the idea of leaving in free agency. completely different.

am i wrong. i dont' remember it the way you do at all.

When did Duncan do this? He never once requested a trade, hell he took less money then he could have when he was a free agent. The worse thing he did was look at all his options when his contract was expired. Your seriously calling that "pointing a gun at his front office's chest"?

Edit - Just re-read the post you quoted and I guess you were trying to say that Duncan, like Kobe was blessed with a great team from jump. If thast what you meant, my bad.

Kobe played with Shaq and many other great players and had a great coach for many years. He threatened to leave unless the FO built a good team. Therefore Kobe sucks and deserves no respect.

Duncan played with Robinson and many other great players and had a great coach for many years. He threatened to leave unless the FO built a good team. Therefore Duncan sucks and deserves no respect.

Lebron and Bosh left their teams to join a superteam so that they can win. Therefore Lebron and Bosh sucks and deserves no respect.

who is blaming kobe? i said earlier i don't blame him for putting pressure on his team. i said i'm not going to give him props for staying when he's had the kind of teams he has.

the duncan situation was different unless i'm missing something. duncan was going to be a free agent. kobe just called up a radio show and demanded to be traded.

completely different unless i'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    When did Duncan do this? He never once requested a trade, hell he took less money then he could have when he was a free agent. The worse thing he did was look at all his options when his contract was expired. Your seriously calling that "pointing a gun at his front office's chest"?

Edit - Just re-read the post you quoted and I guess you were trying to say that Duncan, like Kobe was blessed with a great team from jump. If thast what you meant, my bad.
    Read the thread again. There was an earlier post with a link saying Duncan almost quit the team until the FO managed to convince him to stay.

Read the thread again. There was an earlier post with a link saying Duncan almost quit the team until the FO managed to convince him to stay.
    That was a lie. I posted a response to that about 25 posts ago and the guy who made that statment chose not to respond. Here I'll quote it for you:

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Factually you're right Duncan did consider leaving the Spurs and signing with the Magic, but he did not "threaten to leave." At that time he was a free agent who was evaluating his options, and the chance to play with Grant Hill and T Mac intrigued him.

Quote Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86
    These guys never ask to leave there team or demand anything from there front office when things wheren't going so well, they never threw any of there teammates under the bus and played the game the way it should be played.

Much respect to Dirk and Duncan and also Steve Nash.

Duncan is just classy, and Dirk as a person never has any ill-will towards anyone.

It will be sad when both of these guys are out of the league. We need more guys like this in the NBA where we see character and effort every night.

The less drama, the better.

Talk about twisting words - Kobe's situation was entirely different from the others. Kobe had 4 years left on his contract, wanted to be traded and threw Bynum under a bus. It's one thing to criticize your front office/management but your own team mate (especially one so young) who you supposedly "go to war with?"

Duncan was exploring options at the end of his contract. Lebron and Bosh left at the end of their contracts - all legal under the rules. Now, I strongly disagree with the way Lebron chose to leave, but he was under no contractual agreement with the Cavs.