Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron and the All-Time Scoring Record

Quote Originally Posted by YouCallILose
    He's at 16.6k right now. I say he has about 8 seasons left in the league and will average somewhere around 23 ppg over the course of those 8 seasons. Playing 76~ games per season, he should end up around 30k points disregarding injuries. That will probably be right there with Dirk and Kobe. He has no chance at getting to #1, the only player with a shot is Durant and he would have to play a LONG time
    23 PPG? lmao, gtfo. That means he'd have to have multiple seasons of significantly less than that, like barely 19-20 PPG seasons to balance out the obvious fact that he's average 27 PPG now, with a young Wade who will be moving out of his prime in a few years.

He will get at least 25 PPG. More than likely 26 PPG. Wade is a few years older and will slow down sooner, which is when LeBron's PPG will go up, not down, as LeBron will still be in his prime.

76 games a season sounds about right though, but again, I don't see him retiring at 34 if he's close to any other records or still has a good team. He will keep playing guaranteed.

He will be #3 unless significantly injured.

jordan averaged OVER 30 for 8 years some of the seasons were over 35!! Even if durant gets 30 for the next few seasons... i just don't see anyone breaking malone or kareems record.

Durant seems to pop up in every single thread here. I had no idea he was so popular.

Back on topic...Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Durant seems to pop up in every single thread here. I had no idea he was so popular.

Back on topic...Lebron.
    it was pretty much one guy doing this ------>

I rule the local playground strike's Avatar

If lebron continues scoring 26ppg this season, he will finish the year with around 17300 points by the end of the season.
    He is 26 now.
    If he continues scoring 26 ppg for the next 8 seasons (assuming he plays 80 games a year) he will be on 33940 points. that would put him third, behind Kareem and Malone.

At 34, lets assume he carries on playing till he is 37, with his scoring dipping to just 20ppg for that period. Again assuming he plays 80 games a year that would put him on 38740 points at the age of 37! For FIRST all time.

So its clearly very very difficult to pass Kareem for anyone,

you need to play near 40 and average monster numbers all the way through, and ensure you stay injury free.

the problem for lebron is he needs to develop a better J and a better post game if he wants to score 26ppg in his thirties when his athleticism leaves him.

Kareem also did yoga, for what it's worth. Maybe that helped?

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    23 PPG? lmao, gtfo. That means he'd have to have multiple seasons of significantly less than that, like barely 19-20 PPG seasons to balance out the obvious fact that he's average 27 PPG now, with a young Wade who will be moving out of his prime in a few years.

He will get at least 25 PPG. More than likely 26 PPG. Wade is a few years older and will slow down sooner, which is when LeBron's PPG will go up, not down, as LeBron will still be in his prime.

76 games a season sounds about right though, but again, I don't see him retiring at 34 if he's close to any other records or still has a good team. He will keep playing guaranteed.

He will be #3 unless significantly injured.
    He's saying he'll average 23 ppg over the next 8 or so years. That doesn't seem unlikely, just because he'll probably average 25-28ppg over the next 3 or 4, then dip down to 23, 20, 19, and maybe as low as 17 in the following years. Remember, LeBron seems to care about his assists and rebounds more than his scoring. He'd probably sacrifice his scoring to maintain 7-8 apg just because it's what he cares about.

Great college starter

LeBron has averaged 78 games per season through his 1st 7 years when he was in the best athletic condition he will ever be and he has had no major injuries. Him playing 80 games per season for an entire decade is laughable.

Also you people don't take into account decline. Him averaging 23 ppg for the next 8 seasons could be several seasons at 24-26 ppg and a few season at 20-22 ppg. he's not god people and he will decline, just like kobe. i would be shocked if he was still averaging 25+ ppg in 7-8 years, there is a MUCH better chance he's below 20

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    He's saying he'll average 23 ppg over the next 8 or so years. That doesn't seem unlikely, just because he'll probably average 25-28ppg over the next 3 or 4, then dip down to 23, 20, 19, and maybe as low as 17 in the following years. Remember, LeBron seems to care about his assists and rebounds more than his scoring. He'd probably sacrifice his scoring to maintain 7-8 apg just because it's what he cares about.
    So you seriously think he's going to drop off to basically super roleplayer status as soon as he hits 29-30 years old?

LeBron just turned 26. He is not already almost 30. Wishful thinking there buddy. Poke the voodoo doll all day if you want, he's not slowing down that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    So you seriously think he's going to drop off to basically super roleplayer status as soon as he hits 29-30 years old?

LeBron just turned 26. He is not already almost 30. Wishful thinking there buddy. Poke the voodoo doll all day if you want, he's not slowing down that fast.
    I think about it more in terms of minutes than in terms of age. LeBron has played a total of 24k minutes. Garnett, Duncan, and most of the players slowing down today started slowing down (at least in stats) at about 40k minutes. Considering LeBron's body goes through the same wear and tear as other big men, as he's hacked more than anyone in the league, it's safe to assume by that point, he'll drop to the low 20s in ppg production. He's played 24k so far, so 16k will take him to about 5 more seasons, or until he's 31. At that point he'll start to regress more noticeably. I don't think he'll age like most guards do, because his body is just too big for that kind of durability. And what do you mean wishful thinking? LeBron has been my favourite player for the last 7 years, I just don't want to get unrealistically optimistic.

Only way anyone can break the record is if they average about 25 PPG and do it for at least 20 seasons. LeBron plays an aggressive style, as does Wade. Neither would last 20 seasons.

youngest to get to 15000 at 25 kobe did it at 27 so probably quite high

National High School Star

I think about it more in terms of minutes than in terms of age.
    I read a study conducted by someone some years ago (I'm unsure if I could re-find it since it was a long time ago) that showed that it's the minutes that matter, not the age. It's deceiving to think players will play longer because they start earlier--it just means they'll accumulate minutes at an earlier age because of their earlier start, not that they'll be in the league much longer than past players will.

LeBron has played a total of 24k minutes. Garnett, Duncan, and most of the players slowing down today started slowing down (at least in stats) at about 40k minutes. Considering LeBron's body goes through the same wear and tear as other big men, as he's hacked more than anyone in the league, it's safe to assume by that point, he'll drop to the low 20s in ppg production. He's played 24k so far, so 16k will take him to about 5 more seasons, or until he's 31. At that point he'll start to regress more noticeably. I don't think he'll age like most guards do, because his body is just too big for that kind of durability. And what do you mean wishful thinking? LeBron has been my favourite player for the last 7 years, I just don't want to get unrealistically optimistic.

Banned

Threads like this really make me appreciate KAJ and the Mailman. Their scoring records are practically untouchable.

I think about it more in terms of minutes than in terms of age. LeBron has played a total of 24k minutes. Garnett, Duncan, and most of the players slowing down today started slowing down (at least in stats) at about 40k minutes. Considering LeBron's body goes through the same wear and tear as other big men, as he's hacked more than anyone in the league, it's safe to assume by that point, he'll drop to the low 20s in ppg production. He's played 24k so far, so 16k will take him to about 5 more seasons, or until he's 31. At that point he'll start to regress more noticeably. I don't think he'll age like most guards do, because his body is just too big for that kind of durability. And what do you mean wishful thinking? LeBron has been my favourite player for the last 7 years, I just don't want to get unrealistically optimistic.
    Kobe's still scoring 25 PPG at 32, and he's playing less minutes. Jordan still scored 20+ at 38-40.

I don't see how LeBron is magically going to drop to 20 and LESS PPG when he hits 29-30 when the other great perimeter scorers didn't. Kobe now, is playing less minutes but taking the 3rd most shots of his career, while playing some of the least defense of his career. Older players do that. Less D', more O'.

LeBron's not magically going to drop off by 20-25% once he hits 30. Nor is he going to "steadily decline" after this year. He's 26.

Wishful thinking dude.