Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314

Default Re: Jordan Vs. Kobe at age 32

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Well I could see 94, but not 95. 95 without Rodman or Grant is just to weak of a roster, both Jordan and Pippen would be extremely worn down with a 6th straight deep playoff run, and having 94 off allowed Jordan to rebuild his game in the summer of 95 to increase his longevity a good bit. In 92 and 93 you could already tell he was declining, and from 96-98 he looked almost exactly the same in the playoffs each year, except maybe the conference finals and finals in 98.
    I don't know...wish I would have seen it. Imagine what kind of epic series Jordan would have had fighting uphill

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    I miscalculated that's 950 games and ~36500 minutes.

That's a gap of 400 games and 10000 minutes. I think that cancels out the age difference between he and Jordan of '98.

Loki can argue about age all he wants but MJ IMO saved himself from a lot of impact by having that retirement and missing most of the '86 and '95 seasons.

True.. But Mj played in a league where real contact was allowed.. Even his haterz,, Isiah Thomas, has spoken about this... Kobe, Wade and Bron have not.. Though at least Kobe played in a league where you could touche them in the early 2000's.. Wade and bron have benefitted even more than Kobe from the new rules..

NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    explain to me how ariza is better?

nothing has shown up in his play in games.

is he better in practice or something? maybe.

but to be perfectly honest, when i watched ariza on the magic in 07...i thought he'd be a better player than what he has become. he was only 21 years old that year and should have naturally progressed more than he has. back then he was a solid role player with a lot of potential that played solid defense.

now? he's less efficient from the field and takes way too many 3 point shots. and what did kobe tell ariza to do? take more threes. so i really think that hampered his game to be honest.

seriously. why was ariza taking 6 threes a game in houston? he came to the lakers and got into the bad habit of taking a lot of threes. and its hurt his impact. he's now a sub 40% shooter overall. he gets to the line much less based on minutes played. his rebounding is worse......and to be honest....he's not as aggressive defensively.

crediting kobe with turning ariza into a good player is laughable. he's regressed if anything.

please respond.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    True.. But Mj played in a league where real contact was allowed.. Even his haterz,, Isiah Thomas, has spoken about this... Kobe, Wade and Bron have not.. Though at least Kobe played in a league where you could touche them in the early 2000's.. Wade and bron have benefitted even more than Kobe from the new rules..
    I understand that. But still, that disparity for a given age is very hard to ignore. It's huge.

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Isiah Thomas said that Larry Bird was overrated.

NBA rookie of the year

Is it really?

I really don't think Grant Hill would be playing in the NBA right now had he not missed so much due to injury.

In Jordan's case, he missed almost almost 3 years before he hit his second retirement. I think that had a lot to do with how well he performed down the later stretches of his career.

You don't have to agree but there are differing opinions on the age vs mileage debate.
    That's an extreme case, since Hill missed a ton of games/seasons. The point is, yes, he's athletic for someone his age, and that's at least partially attributable to the games he missed. However, he's not nearly as athletic as he would be if he were, say, 33 years old with the same number of games under his belt as he has now.

NBA rookie of the year

True. But Loki is trying to totally discredit the mileage argument like it doesn't exist. It does. Otherwise no one would make a big deal out of it.

He says that a 32 year old with 850 games is less athletic than a 28 year old with 850. Fine.

I still say that a 32yo player with close to 1300 games and 47000 minutes isn't the same as a 32yo player with ~950 games and ~38000 minutes. That is a fact.
    I agree with that last paragraph; I just think that actual physical age is the more prominent factor in terms of declining athleticism. Games played certainly has an effect, but not an effect equivalent to 3-4 years of ACTUAL age (which is the case w/MJ and Kobe when they played the same # of games), especially not as one enters their early-mid 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    I agree with that last paragraph; I just think that actual physical age is the more prominent factor in terms of declining athleticism. Games played certainly has an effect, but not an effect equivalent to 3-4 years of ACTUAL age (which is the case w/MJ and Kobe when they played the same # of games), especially not as one enters their early-mid 30's.
    I guess. I just don't see MJ as your typical 34/35 year old NBA player towards the end of his Bulls run. Nevermind that he was athletically superior to everyone but he just hadn't played as much as his contemporaries.

Doesn't really take anything away from him though. He's still numero uno overall.

Not airballing my layups anymore

kobe is overrated by kobe's fans boy

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cp3mvp2011
    kobe is overrated by kobe's fans boy
    lol so?

Quote Originally Posted by YouCallILose
    Average FTA in 1996-26.4 FTA

Average FTA in 2011-24.8 FTA

i just want to clarify, are you suggesting that this some how shows that it isnt easier to get to the line today or that fouls are called more freely for less contact cause LMAO
    classic case of kids expossing themselves as not having watched the nba during the era they are trying to debate- basically what this forum is all about!

College superstar

ROSE > THAN YOU IN-PAX-WE-TRUST's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YouCallILose
    Kobe's playing in his 1067th game

The season Jordan played in his 1067th game his numbers were

20 ppg 44.5 FG% 6.1 rpg 3.8 apg
    That's a reach. Jordan was 38 that season.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKobe
    kobe didnt get playing time his first 2 seasons in the league so this thread is a fail
    You're making an argument that supports Jordan, but the way you wrote that it sounds like an excuse for Kobe.

If Kobe didn't play his as much his first two seasons, you'd think his body would be fresher.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    kobe flies his own helicopter to lakers game.. i think we know who da true pimp bawse is
    He could fly or teleport like the god he is, but he wants to conform to us human beings