Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Most boring sport in the face of the planet, nothing happens, played on 10 seconds spurts followed by minutes of nothingness. No skill required whatsoever, absolutely no skill.

Last time i watched someone kicked the ball forward, someone from the other team picked it up, and i was like "wow amazing, about the pass the 10 seconds mark", the guy then kneels, ref whistle, game stops. that was it for me, never watching that crap again.

looking how popular baseball and football is i don't understand how watching paint dry isn't a national hobby in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM

and as someone that watched rugby as a kid rugby >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> american crap football

Default Re: If American Football wasn't called "football", would it be more popular...

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    It'd be more popular if it were a better sport, and not just athletes with no skill to speak of running into each other in between commercial breaks.
    Wow. Another moron who has no knowledge of the sport spouting off.

Keep it tight for me The-Legend-24's Avatar

Shit is boring as fvck. Nothing but fvcking commercials.

Basketball & Soccer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Wow. Another moron who has no knowledge of the sport spouting off.

I think most of people who are "spouting off" obviously dont understand what they are looking at..

because if you know what is happening and you know who the players are and their strengths and weaknesses? then it isnt boring at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    I think most of people who are "spouting off" obviously dont understand what they are looking at..

because if you know what is happening and you know who the players are and their strengths and weaknesses? then it isnt boring at all.
    Exactly. And to claim that the sport requires no skill, that's just pure ignorance. Every position requires an immense amount of skill, quarter backs being the most obvious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    once again you're missing the point.

no one's disputing the sport having a low participation level. but that doesn't necessarily equate to NFL players being "marginal athletes". the way people in this thread, americans i assume, are defining athleticism is by some of measurable abilities i mentioned earlier. if you define how good of an athlete someone is by those measurables, then many nfl players would likely be top notch "athletes"
    No shit. That's essentially saying that NFL players are the best NFL athletes in the world. That's saying nothing.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    No shit. That's essentially saying that NFL players are the best NFL athletes in the world. That's saying nothing.
    lol

Exactly. And to claim that the sport requires no skill, that's just pure ignorance. Every position requires an immense amount of skill, quarter backs being the most obvious one.

ya cant argue about a sport if you have no idea what you are talking about... thats what makes some of these comments hilarious..

If I sit down (totally ignorant of the ins and outs of the sport) and try to watch it?

yeah it will probably seem like people just running into each other/boring..

but it takes some real brass ones to come in the thread make silly arguments to people who do know what they are talking about

*cough LJJ cough*

I read that touch football was the fastest growing sport in my country last year, went from like 500 to 3300 registered players. I live in a small country.

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

LJJ digging a hole

You're coming off as an idiot. Maybe you don't respect the sport, but using the word marginal to describe the athletes just makes you come off as another idiot flinging turds.

We KNOW the athletes are superior to many sports in certain aspects because that is what the sport demands. You can look at physical numbers from the combine if you need further proof that they are top athletes regardless of where they are in the world.

You also overlook a huge factor in your 'logic.' The money. The NFL makes tons of money. Professional athletes tend to go where there is money. The sport doesn't have to be played all over the world if it's the biggest sport in one of the largest markets.

And what skills would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    The fact you even have to ask this question shows you won't accept a logical answer. Being accurate with a football is most definitely a skill.

What I don't understand is why people are discussing topics they have minimal knowledge on. Like I wouldn't argue to death any opinions about soccer because I don't watch enough soccer to know what I'm talking about.

Sometimes it's better to sit back and watch a conversation unfold so you don't look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Seriously? How about... arm strength, accuracy, footwork, field vision, ability to know and execute routes, body control, pass catching, blocking, tackling, punting, kicking, etc.

What a stupid fucking question.

Seriously? How about... arm strength, accuracy, footwork, field vision, ability to know and execute routes, body control, pass catching, blocking, tackling, punting, kicking, etc.

What a stupid fucking question.
    Yes yes, you forgot to mention, time management, teamwork, leadership, self motivation, being able to talk, peripheral vision, having two feet.

My question to you is how ****ing retarded are you? Yes keep spouting generic stuff that all sports require. You raelly gonna win this argument.

Arm strength, really? a skill?
    Body control? not suffering from Parkinson is a skill?
    blocking, tackling? herp derp i can throw myself in front of someone herp derp
    footwork, what footwork? Are you joking or being serious can't tell.
    ability to know and execute routes? fancy word for run forward, lol, yeah not being brain dead and know to run forward where there is less people, amazing skill.
    accuracy, pass catching? wow catching a ball, amazing stuff right there, for 12 year old girls with butter fingers.
    The only thing that resembles a skill is the throwing of the ball, and that is like kindergarten stuff.

Find me a sport less skillful than this crap, i dare you. Ping pong > NFL

Even baseball needs more skill, batting a ball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> anything on american football.

i remember when i was a kidd, our teacher sometimes would make us play "human footbal" basically nfl without a ball, we had to cross over the field without being touch by anybody, and everyone would whine, because it was SO BORING. You would love it, great display of "footwork, field vision, ability to know and execute routes, body control", it was all we had.
    Last edited by Blue&Orange; 04-19-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Football isn't boring. It's just boring compared to basketball.
    It's all preference. I love football, but if it's not your thing I get that. Same with baseball. I played for 15 years so when I watch a game I'm sort of instinctively analyzing every pitch and what is going to happen next. A ton of stuff happens on the baseball and football field that a casual observer won't understand, and in turn that could very well lead them to be disinterested with the sport. And I understand and respect that. I'm the same way with soccer. I know only the rudimentary points, and I'm sure if I committed myself to learning more I might start to enjoy it, but I just don't really want to. Thusly it's boring to me.

I liken it to rodeo, because it's a fringe sport and a great number of people who watch don't really understand it. A lot of people will watch a bareback ride and all they will see is a guy hanging on and wonder how one can possibly be any different than another, or why "hanging on" is so impressive. But the more you watch, the more you realize how huge the difference between hanging on and a 90-point ride is for these guys. If you don't understand it, you won't appreciate it. And we're seeing a lot of it in this thread.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 04-19-2013 at 07:34 PM.