Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Good High School Starter chris2010's Avatar

Default Re: The difference between kobe and other superstars

Quote Originally Posted by bond10
    1. Work ethic? Ray Allen? Lebron? Some guys are blessed with athleticism, Kobe's not which is why he has the strong work ethic. Look at his peers numbers if you want a comparison of production, they're nearly identical..Kobe has to work hard to get those while others don't, and that has no basis for comparing Kobe to his rivals.
    2. Don't get into micro details about what exact year Phil Jackson came in, if you'd like how about I just say "Kobe quickly was under Phil Jackson". Fact is that Kobe was fortunate to have Phil Jackson, Shaq, and Laker organization early in his career.
    3. All that "Kobe's a winner, Kobe's got killer instinct, Kobe's work ethic is out of this world" is overhyped. You think nobody else works hard and wants to win either? He quits when his team was bad a few years ago and demanded a trade. He's not clear-cut better than VC, T-Mac, AI, Lebron, Wade...he's just LUCKY to be a Laker.
    1) yes, better work ethic than those guys. Kobe is not athletic? GFTO w/ that.
    2)Kobe was already getting comparisons to other nba greats in just his first season. yes, he was fortunate to have had Phil Jackson, Shaq. But lets be honest, its not like Kobe was just a side role player. Hes had huge games, come on now dont just ignore that. You really think P-Jax would have came back to that horrible laker team in 06 if Kobe wasnt there? Get real. Think Shaq is solely responsible for all those titles? Get real
    3)Playing last year on a broken finger, swollen knees, sore ankles and backs kill your argument there. He could have easily hung up the season last year to rehabilitate, but he kept playing. No other superstar in the nba would have done that. I didnt say no on else worked hard. But some work harder than others. Can you blame him for wanting to leave? That team was terrible they looked at the time like they werent heading anywhere. 81 pt game, being much higher on the scoring list, all defensive 1st team selections, plus if you actually watch Kobe play and be objective you can see that he is clearly better those other guys. But coming from the guy who said kobe hasnt been blessed w/ athleticism I cant expect much. So being a laker means that you will be a better player? Role players possibly, but the star players will be good regardless. Gasol, Odom, Kobe, etc. would still be just as dominant on other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by StillKill24
    him going 6-24 and lakers still winning the title. what a joke, i guess the lakers do have their own refs.
    how about you rewatch the 4th quarter of the game and you will see that the fouls were actually legit. Watch the replays, you will see actual physical contact when they were attacking the rim. dont sit there behind your computer screen acting like you remember every little drive during a 12 minute stretch 6 months ago. watch it, and you will see clearly the lakers were getting to the rim and getting calls. Idiots like you need to just drop the whole conspiracy theory thing in the nba, come up w/ one about something worthwhile that could actually be true

"The difference between kobe and other superstars"

Kobe goes for the toughest shot possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Indian guy
    There's never been a superstar who stopped being a superstar in his early 30's barring major injury. Every all-time great was still beasting at Kobe's current age.
    This exactly. Its amazing how people feel that once a guy turns 30 hes old. When I get a chance. Im gonna post some numbers of the all-time greats from 30 to 33. You'll be amazed at the fact tht some players were better in their 30s thn in their 20s.

Serious playground baller ATL_Bball_King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bond10
    1. Work ethic? Ray Allen? Lebron? Some guys are blessed with athleticism, Kobe's not which is why he has the strong work ethic. Look at his peers numbers if you want a comparison of production, they're nearly identical..Kobe has to work hard to get those while others don't, and that has no basis for comparing Kobe to his rivals.
    2. Don't get into micro details about what exact year Phil Jackson came in, if you'd like how about I just say "Kobe quickly was under Phil Jackson". Fact is that Kobe was fortunate to have Phil Jackson, Shaq, and Laker organization early in his career.
    3. All that "Kobe's a winner, Kobe's got killer instinct, Kobe's work ethic is out of this world" is overhyped. You think nobody else works hard and wants to win either? He quits when his team was bad a few years ago and demanded a trade. He's not clear-cut better than VC, T-Mac, AI, Lebron, Wade...he's just LUCKY to be a Laker.

Sometimes i wonder if this site just has retard ass holes that do nothing but come on here and post crap...I dont even know if these people even know the game of basketball or they are just dumb fans trying to be heard on a little site like this...I mean i really dont get some of the posts that people write...They are so illogical and so idiotic... Like this post for example...

I mean I really dont feel like goin in on this person...But really talking about the only reason Kobe is Kobe is cause of phil...Yes phil has taught him alot but that doesnt mean he made who kobe is...I guess he made Jordan too...So i guess take away all Jordans accomplishments away by saying he is Lucky to have Phil...SO i guess put anyone in Kobe's place and they would be the all time greatest laker with the highest points in LA...So i guess any player is Lucky to have a good coach...So a coach is not lucky to have a good player...??Do you not watch kobe play...Can you not tell his leadership and determination...Being a basketball player you can tell...

I dont even know what this thread is for...Like are you serious...You are trying to convince the whole world is mad for believing Kobe is the best or second best on this planet...Not only Kobe Fans think kobe is the best...Its jus you kobe haters say some ridiculous shit sometimes that makes utterly no sense...Its like you try and go in the past and try to change shit to justify a case of why kobe shouldnt be great...Thats crazy...SO back when kobe won those championships and even now...Were and are there not other great teams in the NBA...You think Kobe sits here and gets free rides to Championships...Its just Kobe rises his team to that level and he wins the Championship with team effort...Was Pau Gasol the best PF in the game before going to LA...Even the first year when they lost...Ummmm No...Kobe pushes Pau Gasol to never settle and get better every year...

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF THESE DUMB MINDED POST...ITS HURTING MY HEAD!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Bball_King
    Sometimes i wonder if this site just has retard ass holes that do nothing but come on here and post crap...I dont even know if these people even know the game of basketball or they are just dumb fans trying to be heard on a little site like this...I mean i really dont get some of the posts that people write...They are so illogical and so idiotic... Like this post for example...

I mean I really dont feel like goin in on this person...But really talking about the only reason Kobe is Kobe is cause of phil...Yes phil has taught him alot but that doesnt mean he made who kobe is...I guess he made Jordan too...So i guess take away all Jordans accomplishments away by saying he is Lucky to have Phil...SO i guess put anyone in Kobe's place and they would be the all time greatest laker with the highest points in LA...So i guess any player is Lucky to have a good coach...So a coach is not lucky to have a good player...??Do you not watch kobe play...Can you not tell his leadership and determination...Being a basketball player you can tell...

I dont even know what this thread is for...Like are you serious...You are trying to convince the whole world is mad for believing Kobe is the best or second best on this planet...Not only Kobe Fans think kobe is the best...Its jus you kobe haters say some ridiculous shit sometimes that makes utterly no sense...Its like you try and go in the past and try to change shit to justify a case of why kobe shouldnt be great...Thats crazy...SO back when kobe won those championships and even now...Were and are there not other great teams in the NBA...You think Kobe sits here and gets free rides to Championships...Its just Kobe rises his team to that level and he wins the Championship with team effort...Was Pau Gasol the best PF in the game before going to LA...Even the first year when they lost...Ummmm No...Kobe pushes Pau Gasol to never settle and get better every year...

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF THESE DUMB MINDED POST...ITS HURTING MY HEAD!!!!!
    lol you put it much meaner than i did but point all the same

Saw a basketball once VoodooChild1970's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hihater
    at less spell it right.
    At least spell it right.

Saw a basketball once VoodooChild1970's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Bball_King

At least someone makes sense. Just because you're pumped on your respective Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, [Insert Player Name Here] juice doesn't mean that anyone that isn't them sucks. I'm a Lakers fan and a Kobe fan but I recognize that LeBron has taken over as the best player in the game. If you make an argument for one player you're a fan and if you make an argument against them you're a hater. People need to learn to view things outside of their constricted, one player dominated worlds.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    This exactly. Its amazing how people feel that once a guy turns 30 hes old. When I get a chance. Im gonna post some numbers of the all-time greats from 30 to 33. You'll be amazed at the fact tht some players were better in their 30s thn in their 20s.
    I got time to kill and nothing is happening so...

I'll try to give it a shot:
    (age 32 for all)

Kareem- 24.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 4.5 apg, 3.4 blks. .604% FG Won mvp.

Wilt- 20.5 ppg, 21.1 rpg, 4.5 apg. .583% FG

Russell- 13.3 ppg, 21.0 rpg, 5.8 apg, .610% FG third in mvp

Hakeem- 27.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, 3.4 blk .517% FG 5th mvp (but this was the year he had the famous embarrassing David Robinson, the current mvp that year.)

Jordan- 30.4 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 4.3 apg, .495% FG Won mvp

Jerry West - 26.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 9.5 apg, .494% FG second in mvp

Julius Erving- 21.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg, 3.7 apg, .517% FG fifth in mvp

Elgin Baylor- 26.6 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 3.1 apg .429% FG

Oscar Robertson- 19.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 8.2 apg, .496% FG fifth in mvp

Shaq- 22.9 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.3 blks, .601% second in mvp

Barkley- 23.2 ppg, 11.6 rpg, 3.7 apg, .500% FG

Karl Malone- 25.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, .519% FG (got better when he was 33-34, won mvp when he was older)

Dominique Wilkins- 28.1 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, .464% FG (He only played 42 games. However, when he was 33, he had 29 ppg in 71 games)

Alex English- 29.8 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.0 apg, .504% FG

There are more players who played at a elite level at 32. Hardly any of them won MVP though. It's because competition was tough and/or their team sucked. But this isn't a knock on Kobe or anything. Kobe is doing something similar and everything. But this has been done before. Regardless, props to Kobe.

But yeah. The superstars in the past were no joke. They played at high level in their early 30s too. Hakeem hit his prime during his 30s. Shaq was still going strong. Jordan too. Kareem was getting mvps. There are also other players who were not top 5 in MVP, but still played extremely well. Similar stats to Kobe and everything.
    Last edited by Micku; 12-17-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooChild1970

At least someone makes sense. Just because you're pumped on your respective Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, [Insert Player Name Here] juice doesn't mean that anyone that isn't them sucks. I'm a Lakers fan and a Kobe fan but I recognize that LeBron has taken over as the best player in the game. If you make an argument for one player you're a fan and if you make an argument against them you're a hater. People need to learn to view things outside of their constricted, one player dominated worlds.
    Wow, firstly I admit that Kobe has been top 5 in the league for a long time now (and still going). My point is that the difference between Kobe and other superstars is that he's LUCKY TO BE ON THE LAKERS (prime Shaq for first 3 rings, Phil Jackson throughout, Laker management). I'm not trying discount his legacy in anyway, I'm trying to explain to the Kobe homers that his peers were great too, but less fortunate. Get out of your shrines and throw away the Kobe statue.