Default How good was Chamberlain defensively?

I want to know more about Wilt. Please ISH, teach me!

Default Re: How good was Chamberlain defensively?

He had Mutombo-Eaton level shot blocking and rim protecting . He was as good as Duncan-Kareem on , on ball and help defence . He was one of the greatest man to man defender .

1-1.5 steals , 6-7 blocks level on defence . Probably if he played in 2000-2007 era , he would around between 93-97 drtg in seasons .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk
    I want to know more about Wilt. Please ISH, teach me!
    We don't have enough stats to give us a complete representation, but in what we do have, he was likely the second greatest defensive force of all-time, and at his peak, perhaps the GOAT.

A 38-41 year old Kareem shot .607 against Hakeem in their 23 career H2H's.

A PEAK Kareem shot .464 against an aging Wilt in their 28 career H2H's. In fact, in their last ten H2H's, KAJ shot .434 overall.

Nate Thurmond shot .419 in his NBA career. In the known H2H's with Wilt, which was many of them... .360.

Russell was a career .441 shooter. In his 143 H2H's with Wilt... .382.

We don't have a lot of the Bellamy numbers, but in the one's we do have...just a staggering decline. For instance, in his '68 season, Bellamy shot .541 against the league. In the playoffs against Wilt... .421 (oh and Wilt shot .584 against him.)

In Wilt's LAST season, he held 6-11 HOFer Bob Lanier to a .374 FG% in their five known H2H's (out of six.)

Wilt also has the two highest "non-Russell" DWS seasons in NBA history ('64 and '68), and to be honest, he was FAR more dominant in his '67 season. He held Thurmond to .320 in their regular season H2H's, and .343 in the Finals. He held Bellamy, who had shot .521 against the league, to .450 )oh and he averaged 23 ppg on a .708 against Bellamy). He held Russell to a .358 in the Finals.

BTW, in their very first H2H game, Walt Bellamy came into that game averaging 30 ppg. At the opening center jump, Chamberlain told Bellamy that he wouldn't score a point. And in the first half...he didn't. In fact, and this is documented...Wilt blocked Bellamy's first NINE shots. At the start of the second half jump, Wilt smiled, and told Bellamy, that he would let him play now...and wound up outscoring Walt by a 51-14 margin.

Oh, and Tim Duncan is the all-time "official" blocked shot leader in NBA post-season history at 555 in 241 games. Julizaver's research, with Wilt's 82 known playoff games (out of his 160) has Wilt with with an actual 590.

I could go on, but you get the picture.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 01-23-2016 at 06:32 PM.

College superstar

From what I have read he was, at worst, the 3rd best defender of his era behind Russell and Thurmond. If the award were given in his era, he definitely would have ended with a minimum of two DPOYs. His shot blocking is possibly only rivaled by Russell.

This old thread is somewhat insightful.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=190992

Good stuff guys, thanks

Willis Reed was able to win 2 FMVPs on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Funny but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow

Past prime Ray Ray averaged 20 points with %70 TS against Kobe