Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Defensive Player of The Year 1955-1982

Candidates: Bobby Jones, Caldwell Jones, Dennis Johnson, Michael Cooper
    Winner: Michael Cooper
    Explanation: He was the key defensive player on the leagues best team. He guarded Bird and Erving, the best players on his team’s two greatest rivals. He finished higher in the MVP voting than any other candidate on this list and had the worst stats of anyone.

Candidates: Dennis Johnson, Bobby Jones, Michael Ray Richardson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Winner: Dennis Johnson
    Explanation: In his first season in Phoenix, the Suns already good defensive became the leagues best while finishing with the best record in the west. Johnson was selected to the All-NBA 1st Team and made his third straight all-defensive first team.

Candidates: Dennis Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bobby Jones, Dan Roundfield
    Winner: Bobby Jones
    Explanation: A real toss up between Kareem, Jones and Johnson; each the best at their respective position. The fact that Kareem just got it the year prior and that he had slipped noticeably defensively (though still very good) hurts him. Dennis Johnson is still very young and even coming off the NBA title, I still think this one is more likely to go to Bobby Jones, so I pick him.

Candidates: Bobby Jones, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dennis Johnson, Moses Malone
    Winner: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Explanation: Kareem was still rebounding at a high level (12.8/gm) in 1979 and he led the league four blocks per game. The Lakers played without a true power forward and were still among the top half defensively. Count Moses out because Houston sucked defensively despite his 17+ rpg. Dennis Johnson was just getting established following the 1978 Finals. Bobby Jones is close, making an impact in his first season in Philadelphia, but I’m going with Kareem here.

Candidates: Bobby Jones, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dennis Johnson, Moses Malone
    Winner: Bobby Jones
    Explanation: Jones averages 2 blocks and 2 steals per game playing an NBA career high 33 minutes per game, averages a career best 9 rebounds per game and leads the league in FG% to boot. He could have got it the year before, but Walton’s double up was too significant. His consistency wins out over Walton who would break down late in his MVP season. (Note: the more I look at this year the more I want co-DMVPS, Walton was so good)

Candidates: Bobby Jones, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Bill Walton, Don Buse
    Winner: Bill Walton
    Explanation: They gave Kareem the MVP which almost certainly means Walton gets the defensive player of the year. Walton leads the league in rebounding and blocked shots and Portland eventually wins the NBA title. Bobby Jones averages over 2 blocks and 2 steals per game and somehow probably finishes third this season in the voting.

Candidates:
    Dave Cowens, John Havlicek, Norm Van Lier, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Winner: Dave Cowens
    Explanation:Had originally gone with Kareem here because of the shot blocking prowess and the fact that he hadn't yet developed his slacker reputation in transition. However now I'm going with Cowens. Cowens was not a great on ball defender, but his team defense was way ahead of the times. His rotations are fantastic and he is the ultimate give up the body superstar. The Celtics won with defense and balanced scoring and Cowens was the anchor on both ends.

Candidates: Walt Frazier, Jerry Sloan, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, John Havlicek
    Winner: Jerry Sloan
    Explanation: The Bulls were at the peak and end of their run and Sloan was the foremost defensive star on a great defensive team. He was second on the team averaging seven rebounds per game as a guard and averaged 2.2 steals. Jabbar and Frazier’s teams were not at the same level and their impact was not significantly greater, if greater at all.

Candidates:
    Dave DeBusschere, Norm Van Lier, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, John Havlicek
    Winner: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Explanation: The centerpiece to one of the leagues best defensive teams, Kareem averaged 3.5 blocks and the Bucks advanced to the NBA Finals. The other players on the list had a lot of help with great defensive players around them, Jabbar was the clear leader with a young Dandridge offering some support and an aging Oscar relying on guile.

Candidates: Wilt Chamberlain, Nate Thurmond, Walt Frazier, Dave DeBusschere, John Havlicek
    Winner: Nate Thurmond
    Explanation: As great as Wilt was defensively, even in his final year, Thurmond was a monster and what he did in the playoffs solidifies this as one of his finest seasons.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Dave DeBusschere, John Havlicek, Nate Thurmond
    Winner: Wilt Chamberlain
    Explanation: Wilt plays like Russell for a full season the Lakers break numerous records on their way to the title. And this is when he’s past his prime. A truly great performance from Wilt that season.

Candidates:
    Walt Frazier, Dave DeBusschere, Jerry West, Nate Thurmond, Wilt Chamberlain
    Winner: Dave DeBusschere
    Explanation: He and Frazier are interchangeable in these two seasons. They were the top one-two punch in the league on the top defensive team once again.

Candidates:
    Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere, Jerry West, Nate Thurmond
    Winner: Walt Frazier
    Explanation: Had to be a Knick, they were clearly the best defensive team post Boston and they had a great defensive line-up. DeBusschere and Frazier were the stars covering the opponents best forward and guard respectively. Frazier, the more established player probably gets the nod over New York newcomer DeBusschere.

Candidates:
    Bill Russell, Walt Frazier, Nate Thurmond
    Winner: Bill Russell
    Explanation: Russell actually elevated his defensive play in 1969 from the previous season, focusing more energy on that than he had in a number of years. Boston repeats as Champion as Russell raises his rebound average and overcomes Willis Reed and Wilt en route to the title. Thurmond is a close second and probably wins it if the Warriors are a little better.
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 07-24-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Default Re: Defensive Player of The Year 1955-1982

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Jerry West
    Explanation: Russell’s worst season and one of Wilt’s finest until game five of the Eastern Finals. Still this is Wilt’s award again as he just played at the highest level of anyone in the league on both ends.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Nate Thurmond
    Explanation: Wilt finally wins the award during the Sixers dream season. Wilt posted 24 rebounds per game and a career low for field goal attempts expending more energy than ever on the defensive end.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell
    Explanation: Russell hangs on here over Wilt who is still not quite getting the defensive credit he deserves. Russell’s Celtics are again the leagues top defensive team and the World Champions.

Candidates:
    Bill Russell, KC Jones, Tom Sanders
    Explanation: Really the only candidate is Russell as the Celtics were the leagues premier defensive team. Wilt was traded midseason and the Warriors bombed. The Hawks had a strong defensive frontline with Pettit, Zelmo Beaty and Bill Bridges all averaging double figure rebounds but no stand out. Jerry West, along with KC Jones were the premier defensive guards.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, KC Jones, Tom Sanders
    Explanation: The Celtics continue their monopoly of the leagues best defensive players and continue to have the leagues top rated defense. The Warriors played slow down ball, mimicking the Celtics but without quite as much success. Wilt’s finest defensive season to date, but not enough to unseat Russell.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, KC Jones
    Explanation: KC Jones and Tom Sanders develop their reputations as defensive game changers further, but Wilt and Russell are still way out ahead. Wilt’s team struggles and Russell easily takes another award.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell
    Explanation: There are only two guys that are altering the game so greatly. Wilt and Russell and Russell is wholly focused on defense and winning.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Bob Pettit
    Explanation: The anchors of the top three defenses in the game. Pettit isn’t blocking shots or rebounding like the other two so count him out. Russell takes it by a slightly larger margin than the year before.

Candidates:
    Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Bob Pettit
    Explanation: Rookie Wilt gets a number of votes as people want to see someone else win it and in the media they don’t hate Wilt yet. Russell wins it again though as the Celtics go back-to-back.

Candidates:
    Bill Russell, Bob Pettit, Tom Gola
    Explanation: Pettit’s peak as a defender begins and Tom Gola has his best season as a pro proving the one player capable of contending with Elgin Baylor from the corners. Still Russell is the dynamic force to be reckoned with and gets the third straight award.

Candidates:
    Bill Russell, Maurice Stokes, Slater Martin
    Explanation: By his second season the league had fully come to appreciate and/or fear what Russell brought to the table even if they didn’t understand it. Now teams were trying to figure out what to do next.

Candidates:
    Bill Russell, Maurice Stokes, Slater Martin
    Explanation: Russell enters the league and the game is changed for ever. Defensive reaches a whole new level with Russell blocking shots and starting fast breaks. Stokes and Hwaks guard Slater Martin, the only play who troubled Cousy according to many accounts are the best forward and guard defensively during this season.

Candidates:
    Maurice Stokes, Dolph Schayes, Bob Pettit
    Winner: Maurice Stokes
    Explanation: The Royals were a bead team because they couldn’t shoot, but Stokes and player coach Bobby Wanzer formed a great defensive combo that made life tough on opponents. Stokes pure athleticism shocked the league, some estimate he averaged 5 blocks and 5 steals in his three seasons making athletic plays left and right that while common today, were unheard of then.

Candidates: Earl Lloyd, Paul Seymour, Bob Pettit, Larry Foust, Red Rocha
    Winner: Earl Lloyd
    Explanation: I've changed this one from Dolph Schayes for two reasons, I read a book about the '55 Nationals and I got to see some game footage from the '55 Finals. (Also credit to Will C, for correctly calling this one out) My new choice is his Royals teammate Earl Lloyd who was charged with guarding George Yardley or Mel Hutchins (the Pistons best scores) and has a reputation as a defensive forward and enforcer. The Nationals 4-man front court rotation was, according to Red Kerr, built around he and Schayes on offense and Lloyd and Rocha on defense.
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 07-13-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Bol'd over

Again, great thread and it leads to the question; Do you think it is coincidence or conspriracy that the league started tallying blocks the exact season after Chamberlain retired?

I've never thought it was a conspiracy. Are there those who do?

3-time NBA All-Star

Great list G.O.A.T

The more I study Wilt's career, the more I am inclined to rank his '72 season among not just his best, but among the best ever. IMHO, he played like a more efficient and prime Russell. And he, like Russell was throughout his career, was exceptionally clutch in the post-season.

The rest of your list speaks for itself. The greatest defensive player ever...Russell. And as much as I hate to use this phrase...it does apply here..."and it isn't close."

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    Again, great thread and it leads to the question; Do you think it is coincidence or conspriracy that the league started tallying blocks the exact season after Chamberlain retired?
    They didn't wanna show Wilt's dominance?

College superstar

Great thread! Awesome job. I may have to borrow this for another forum.

I would love to see a similar thread about the Finals MVP from '55-'68.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jlip

I would love to see a similar thread about the Finals MVP from '55-'68.
    Schayes in '55, Arizin in '56, Pettit in '58, Wilt in '67, perhaps Havlicek in '69 (West won it), and probably Russell every other year.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Schayes in '55, Arizin in '56, Pettit in '58, Wilt in '67, perhaps Havlicek in '69 (West won it), and probably Russell every other year.
    Do you think that it was a possibility of Hondo squeaking out the '68 Finals MVP also?

I would love to see a similar thread about the Finals MVP from '55-'68

Here's my analysis on this

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=157369

Excellent thread G.O.A.T.

I think you have done a great job. There might be a few years I disagree with, like Russell in 57, not because of his ability, but injuries, but overall it's a very strong and accurate representation of what would have happen in the NBA if the DPOY award existed. Really would change the perception of some players like Russell and Chamberlain as well on All-Time rankings when people actually realize how great their work has been in the NBA.

In summary, great analysis and accurate conclusions. I hope you will be putting this and your All-Defensive team analysis in your book as well.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    Just read it. Great work, man. I find it amazing how despite his alleged offensive limitations, when it mattered most, Russell would often come up with 20-30 point games often even leading his team in scoring.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    Excellent thread G.O.A.T.

I think you have done a great job. There might be a few years I disagree with, like Russell in 57, not because of his ability, but injuries
    Russell wasn't injured in '57. He was busy leading the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team to the gold medal by the largest margin of victory in Olympic history.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Russell wasn't injured in '57. He was busy leading the U.S. Olympic men's basketball team to the gold medal by the largest margin of victory in Olympic history.
    I'm sorry I said injured. But looking through all the DPOYs, the lowest games a player played while winning DPOY was 68. Bill Russell played just 48. While I agree he was the best defensive player that season, I don't agree that he would actually be voted the winner of the award due to the number of games he played.

3-time NBA All-Star

Just read it. Great work, man. I find it amazing how despite his alleged offensive limitations, when it mattered most, Russell would often come up with 20-30 point games often even leading his team in scoring.
    He had 30-40 and 30-38 playoff games, as well. In fact, Regul8r posted a slew of his great playoff games. He also had a sensational 18 ppg, 29 rpg, .702 FG% (yes, .702) series in the '65 Finals. And in the '66 Finals, he LED Boston in scoring at 23.6 ppg.

Regul8r also posted several links which indicate that Russell's Celtics had multiple teams that were among the best ever in terms of defensive domination. I was very fascinated by one of those team's holding the Royals, who had had averaged 114 ppg, to 93 ppg in a playoff series. His data also indicated that those great Celtic teams were also among the greatest ever in points per 100 possessions.

As more-and-more of these defensive statistical analysis' are released perhaps the Jordan Generation will have a better appreciation of just how great Russell's impact was.