Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Default Re: Dirk Nowitzki vs Dwight Howard

Come on, even Dwight fans have to admit that 8 out of 10 times, Dirk is extremely clutch, one of the top 3 clutch players in the league. I mean, I can live with people choosing Dwight over Dirk in general because of the age discrepancy, but concerning clutchness..
    Last edited by creepingdeath; 07-24-2010 at 06:00 PM.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by creepingdeath
    Come on, even Dwight fans have to admit that 8 out of 10 times, Dirk is extremely clutch, one of the top 3 clutch players in the league. I mean, I can live with people choosing Dwight over Dirk in general because of the age discrepancy, but concerning clutchness..
    Dirk does hit clutch shots, but Dwight can be more dominant than Dirk throughout an entire game and ensure the game's not so close as to require a clutch shot. Dwight can also much more easily prevent clutch baskets against his team. . .Dirk's an unreliable defender.

Dominating a game and winning by 8-9 points is better than winning by a point off of a late game shot when you weren't dominant enough to win by a comfortable margin, forcing the neccessity for clutch shots.

No one is arguing that. But being more clutch doesn't make you the better player.

Fisher is more clutch than over half of the players in the league as well.

With Dwight, you have less of a chance of it getting that close, anyway.

I rule the local playground

You guys are looking at Dwight's stats in a vacuum and making him out to be a better offensive player than he really is. 18-20 points on 60% shooting sounds great, but it comes almost entirely in the flow of the game. Give me the guy who can actually create his own shot at the end of a game (Dirk).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zORi
    No one is arguing that. But being more clutch doesn't make you the better player.

Fisher is more clutch than over half of the players in the league as well.

With Dwight, you have less of a chance of it getting that close, anyway.
    He's more reliable and can help you win games at teh end, Dwight can't do that and is not reliable.

Local High School Star Magic Vinsanity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Dirk is still in his prime and is still better than Dwight right now.
    Dirk will start to decline in the next couple years, Dwight will be approaching his prime.

If you had to take Dwight right now, or Dirk right now, who would you choose? All old guy who's window is closing, or Howard?

Come on, its a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Zephyrs
    You guys are looking at Dwight's stats in a vacuum and making him out to be a better offensive player than he really is. 18-20 points on 60% shooting sounds great, but it comes almost entirely in the flow of the game. Give me the guy who can actually create his own shot at the end of a game (Dirk).
    At the flow of the game?

OK, he's assisted on less than half of his shots (which is low for a big man, this is mostly due to our lack of a true PG, even though I love Jameer).

I love how we are all just completely ignoring defense, as well.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DC Zephyrs
    20 points "in the flow of the game" is not any worse than 20 points out of the flow of the game. 20 points are 20 points. However, 4-5 extra rebounds are 4-5 extra possessions for your team. Not to mention vastly superior defense which means the OTHER team is scoring less.

Dwight is the most efficiant and useful player in the NBA when you factor in both ends of the floor. He doesn't have to have the ability to bang in post shots late in the game when he's such a huge asset to his team all throughout the game. Dwight will ensure your team does not -NEED- to hit lucky shots at the end of the game. Clutch shots are overrated compared to dominating post players who do all the damn work the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    He's more reliable and can help you win games at teh end, Dwight can't do that and is not reliable.
    You ignored my earlier question, you homer (sound familiar).

What do you have to accomplish by devoting so much of your life to hating Dwight? Someone you, in all likelihood, have never met and who could care less about you?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Dirk does hit clutch shots, but Dwight can be more dominant than Dirk throughout an entire game and ensure the game's not so close as to require a clutch shot.
    Got to keep in mind that Dwight only averaged 35 minutes per game in the post season, it's not like he's on the court all the time, which is a big part of the reason I'd choose Dirk right now.

59 fouls... 51 turnovers... in 14 post season games.

Dwight as you can see has much to improve on, lately he's averaged less minutes than his body is probably capable of, for very noticeable reasons.

Against the Bobcats he never logged more than 30 minutes due to foul trouble, yet his Orlando team still swept them. In the first game of the Celtics, he shot 3/10 and finished with 7 turnovers, 4 fouls, etc....

Even if he's a force defensively, his production is not quite as "automatic" as Dirk's is at this time. You won't often see those kinds of games from Dirk where he comes close to fouling out, or takes just 7-10 shots, he's very efficient which tends to go unnoticed because it's what we expect from great players, and he's very much the fire power for Dallas from the first to the last minute.

Banned

You ignored my earlier question, you homer (sound familiar).

What do you have to accomplish by devoting so much of your life to hating Dwight? Someone you, in all likelihood, have never met and who could care less about you?
    Not hating on Dwight, just hating on his game....and his fans. Totally different.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Dwight is the most efficiant and useful player in the NBA when you factor in both ends of the floor.
    He almost lead the league in Turnovers (2nd) and Fouls (1st) last season.

Last year in the playoffs, he lead all players with 67 turnovers and 102 fouls.

Certainly there's more to efficiency than making 50-60% of your shot attempts.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Didn't say that, I'm just referring to the specific question that has been asked - who would you rather take in the 4th quarter of a close game. ;) Didn't knock on Dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3ShowMVP
    Not hating on Dwight, just hating on his game....and his fans. Totally different.
    Not when you go through drastic measures of looking up stats for multiple players to compare him to, creating a bunch of usernames (even though we all usually figure out sooner or later it's you), creating lists to purposefully leave him out of and then laughing at people who say you should include him, and just being an ass in general about all of it.

Seriously, why Dwight? I mean Kobe or LeBron would attract more attention (if that's what you're after), but this seems like a lot, man. It really looks like you have a personal issue with him.

Didn't say that, I'm just referring to the specific question that has been asked - who would you rather take in the 4th quarter of a close game. ;) Didn't knock on Dwight.
    Oh, my bad man.

Yeah, I'd definitely rather Dirk have the last shot, than Dwight.

On the other hand, if it's the other team inbounding in the last 5 seconds of a 1pt game, I'd rather have Dwight out there than Dirk.