Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Default Re: Pau Gasol Is A Superstar?

I think it depends on what your definition of super star is. However I think that taking everything into account he is not a superstar. You cannot underrate his popularity in the league whatsoever, wasn't his shirt the most sold in the nba for a period of time?

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles
    Honestly, is using a dictionary that hard?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/superstar

Random House Dictionary

1. a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.
    2. any very prominent or successful person or thing.

The American Heritage

1. A widely acclaimed star, as in movies or sports, who has great popular appeal.
    2. One that is extremely popular or prominent or that is a major attraction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstar

Superstar is a term used to refer to a celebrity who has great popular appeal and is widely-known, prominent or successful in some field.

thanks for the definition (no irony here). As i only care for talent and performance i dont pay much attention to MVP votes, fame, and that kind of stuff if that doesnt translate into great play on the court. Then, the answer is very clear NO

However, is that a good way to measure a star? i think the term should be redefined. from that point of view Shaq and even Jordan are still supertars no matter the Big Cactus is as slow as a real cactus today and Jordan has been an ex-player for years...

[COLOR=Teal]The last time two superstars were on the same team the Lakers 3peated. I didn't consider, say, AI and Melo superstars when they teamed up in Denver even though both were hugely popular. Gasol? He's popular in certain communities and is widely recognized for what he does, but until he gets some serious # of MVP votes, he's no better than borderline superstar in my book.[/COLOR]

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TROLL_HUNTER
    thanks for the definition (no irony here). As i only care for talent and performance i dont pay much attention to MVP votes, fame, and that kind of stuff if that doesnt translate into great play on the court. Then, the answer is very clear NO

However, is that a good way to measure a star? i think the term should be redefined. from that point of view Shaq and even Jordan are still supertars no matter the Big Cactus is as slow as a real cactus today and Jordan has been an ex-player for years...
    are Jordan @ shaq sought after for there talents? No
    learn how to read breh

Tito Beasly is such a ****ING AWFUL poster. Gasol is not on the same level as Kobe or Wade or Bron. Period! He's a ****ing 2nd option. just cuz Kobe makes him look good doesn't mean he's a superstar. I mean before Gasol came to LA, who was calling him a superstar? ****, even an allstar? NO ONE HOMO BOY, U JUST MAD KOBE BE WINNING W/ GASOL.

Local High School Star

I think Kobe and Gasol compliment each other well. I definitely feel that Kobe's hard-nose nature has toughened up Pau and brought out the best in him. Conversely, after 14 years in the league, having a guy like Gasol is great for Kobe's career.

Scribbles
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by TROLL_HUNTER

Threads not about which player is better/how good a player is/his performance on the court, its about whether or not he's a superstar.

Shaq's no longer a superstar, he's an unknown internationally right now, Jordan is still very popular internationally outside the US

Banned

This board is really getting bad.

Now just ask yourselves.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpYeekQkAdc

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scribbles

Shaq's no longer a superstar, he's an unknown internationally right now, Jordan is still very popular internationally outside the US
    I think Shaq is still one of the most popular NBA players ever. Here in Spain, there's a bunch of people that don't even watch basketball that know who Shaq is. I'm pretty sure if I asked my mother she'd knew who Shaq is more so than Wade, Durant, Brandon Roy... heck, even Lebron.

Decent college freshman

yes, gasol is 1 of the 6 superstars in the league

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPistonFan
    Gasol is good and is All-Star but not a Superstar. A Superstar is Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Garnett and Duncan. Some people here really believe Gasol is a Superstar. Do you really believe Gasol is a Superstar?
    Nope he is a product of Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPistonFan
    Gasol is good and is All-Star but not a Superstar. A Superstar is Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Garnett and Duncan. Some people here really believe Gasol is a Superstar. Do you really believe Gasol is a Superstar?
    Don't see how he can't be a superstar when he led the Lakers a championship team in both PER and Win Shares on the season and led the entire league in WS in the playoffs.

I usually hit open layups G.O.A.T.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan21formvp
    Don't see how he can't be a superstar when he led the Lakers a championship team in both PER and Win Shares on the season and led the entire league in WS in the playoffs.
    PER and Win Shares are the two factors I always try to take account when selling a players marketability...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Kobe pre Gasol

2005 - misses playoffs

2006 - barely makes the playoffs and chokes a 3-1 lead in the 1st round

2007 - swept in the 1st round

Kobe with Gasol

2008 - finals

2009 - Championship

2010 - Championship

Guess who led the Lakers in both plus minus and win shares in both 09 and 10?

Gasol transformed a team from first round fodder into championship caliber if that is not superstar caliber i don't know what is

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Manny98
    Kobe pre Gasol

2005 - misses playoffs

2006 - barely makes the playoffs and chokes a 3-1 lead in the 1st round

2007 - swept in the 1st round

Kobe with Gasol

2008 - finals

2009 - Championship

2010 - Championship

Guess who led the Lakers in both plus minus and win shares in both 09 and 10?

Gasol transformed a team from first round fodder into championship caliber if that is not superstar caliber i don't know what is
    Tell us more about the 2013 playoffs when Kobe was out with an injury. Pau was finals mvp, right?
    He did have Nash to feed him the ball and Dwight to anchor the defense.