Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Im Looking to Buy a Guitar

Pretty cheap price range at under $100, kinda first one but type that's actually worth keeping, acoustic and beyond that I really don't know. Im looking to shop through Amazon... any suggestions?

Anything you might want to dig up for me yourselves on Amazon would be very helpful as well... jus sayin.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Im Looking to Buy a Guitar

i don't think you can anything more than a toy for that price. maybe a squier acoustic mini guitar or something crappy like that.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Any guitar you get for under $100 is almost certainly not going to be worth keeping. However, your best bet is to go with something cheap to start with and then work your way up as you improve and gain interest.

There are Fender starter packages that are around $100.

Im still learning, so basically all I really care about is sound and it being full sized/acoustic so im practicing the right way. I'll look into the fender packages.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    Im still learning, so basically all I really care about is sound and it being full sized/acoustic so im practicing the right way. I'll look into the fender packages.
    Here is a list of the Top 10 acoustic guitars for beginners. I had a buddy that had a Seagull when he was just starting and I can vouch for it being a terrific buy for a beginner and it has a good sound.

The direct link to that one says $399, but I'm sure you could find one cheaper than that, especially if you find one used.

Learning to shoot layups

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=519456

there you go, I heard good things about it.

You might as well just light a 100 dollar bill on fire.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Here is a list of the Top 10 acoustic guitars for beginners. I had a buddy that had a Seagull when he was just starting and I can vouch for it being a terrific buy for a beginner and it has a good sound.

The direct link to that one says $399, but I'm sure you could find one cheaper than that, especially if you find one used.
    I came in here to say Seagull....and Art & Lutherie (i think it's a sister company)
    http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Guitar elitist. I bought good guitars for $100.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    well, nothing in that range is going to sound all that good, mostly because of the cheaper materials with poor resonance. I would look around on craigslist in your area as well. if you post something here, Im sure I (and others) would give you an opinion.

Really, for just learning how to play, one of the el cheapos will be fine (although some have terrible action/intonation problems and arent that easy to setup/adjust). I would recommend you go to a local store and at least sit down and play around with some of their models. even if you cant play (dont be embarrassed), make sure it feels alright and the strings are easy to press, tuners hold ok, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    see, this is a dumb attitude imo. sure, its not going to be a very good guitar, but for someone who isnt sure if they are going to stick with learning, buying a better guitar to start with is a worse decision. Besides, if you get passionate/good, you wont have qualms about upgrading to a much better guitar (whereas you may if you bought a decent 300-600 guitar and then wanted something better).

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

you should look around on craigslist and local music stores.
    because from my guitar playing expierience those beginner packs suck.
    i was lucky enough to have some guitar playing friends that talked me out of the bigenner guitars and into spending more on something that will actually last a little longer

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=516723

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ku=516977#used
    applause's don't suck

stay away from yamaha, cheap epiphones, squire, estabans..
    Last edited by HylianNightmare; 06-16-2010 at 11:53 AM.

my personal recommendation would be an Alvarez Reagent. Decent low-end, all solid wood model by them. I have had one for years and it has great tone. I have also seen a couple that sucked, but that was mostly due to improper setup/storage abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    my personal recommendation would be an Alvarez Reagent. Decent low-end, all solid wood model by them. I have had one for years and it has great tone. I have also seen a couple that sucked, but that was mostly due to improper setup/storage abuse.

Yeah, Alvarez are hit or miss. You can definitely get some good deals. If you go to any guitar shops around your place check some out. You might land a good one at a good price.

Start to look for a used or defected one, too. For instance, I got my ovation for like 250 as my starter guitar and the model I bought would have been I think 450 but it had some damage on the very back of it, like a few white scratches which had absolutely not affect on the sound. It was a win for me at the time when I was on a pretty low budget.

But I tell you what, my friend bought a 200 dollar Fender package and he got a pretty decent guitar. Also came with a gig bag, dvd lessons, capo, picks, strap. Check out the packages for sure. But in all honesty, if you think guitar's something you're going to stick with, I'd try to wait and maybe save up just a little more money. I'm not saying you should blow $800 but I'd personally wait until you get to about 200.

Best of luck!

Come on, a hundred bucks is a toy guitar like they sell at Target. At least spend 2-250 and get something used that's a decent name. A hundred dollar guitar will just discourage you from wanting to get better because of piss poor sound and action. Furthermore, if you decide you don't want to play anymore you'll be able to get your money back selling it.

That's not an elitist attitude. That's just common sense.