Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Prime Grant Hill vs. current Carmelo Anthony

Who do you guys think was the better player? I feel like making a good comparison out there since someone made a terrible comparison with current Durant and Prime Tmac and we all obviously know Durant was clearly better than prime Tmac so here is a comparison that is actually somewhat close.

Who do you guys think was the better player?

Default Re: Prime Grant Hill vs. current Carmelo Anthony

I've never seen prime Grant Hill to be honest. No idea.

Would take Grant Hill easily.

Prime Grant Hill... just a MUCH better all-round/overall player... seen him live at this best, he was kindof like a mix between Lebron-Pippen-Penny....

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Who do you guys think was the better player? I feel like making a good comparison out there since someone made a terrible comparison with current Durant and Prime Tmac and we all obviously know Durant was clearly better than prime Tmac so here is a comparison that is actually somewhat close.

Who do you guys think was the better player?
    So angry this one

melo

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Prime Grant Hill... just a MUCH better all-round/overall player... seen him live at this best, he was kindof like a mix between Lebron-Pippen-Penny....
    He was a better passer. That's about it. Rebounding is even, and scoring is pretty heavily in Melo's favor.

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    He was a better passer. That's about it. Rebounding is even, and scoring is pretty heavily in Melo's favor.
    I think Grant Hill is a more versatile player though, and that counts for something. Melo is more one dimensional. You know what you get with Melo, you know exactly what to use him for. If you ask him to do something else, problems are going to occur ala D'Antoni.

I don't remember how much hype Grant Hill got in his prime but when he shared ROY honors with J.Kidd, people had him labeled as the next big thing. I'd equate prime Hill to a more soft-spoken LeBron, without the once in a generation athleticism and ego.

Prime Grant Hill > Carmelo Anthony
    Prime T-Mac > Kevin Durant

Prime Grant Hill...dude was throwing up trip dubs (or close to) like they were nothing + good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    I think Grant Hill is a more versatile player though, and that counts for something. Melo is more one dimensional. You know what you get with Melo, you know exactly what to use him for. If you ask him to do something else, problems are going to occur ala D'Antoni.

I don't remember how much hype Grant Hill got in his prime but when he shared ROY honors with J.Kidd, people had him labeled as the next big thing. I'd equate prime Hill to a more soft-spoken LeBron, without the once in a generation athleticism and ego.
    I think people have forgotten how good Carmelo has been in his career. He went to a 17 win Nuggets team and took them to the playoffs every year of his career. A lot of people think he should have been the ROY over Lebron in their rookie years as well.

Prime Grant Hill no question. Grant Hill at one time, was arguably the face of the NBA. And Melo, I would have to really think about even considering him a top 10 player today.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    Prime Grant Hill no question. Grant Hill at one time, was arguably the face of the NBA. And Melo, I would have to really think about even considering him a top 10 player today.
    He never became the face. He was one of many "next Jordans" that the league had. His prime was the late 1990s, when Jordan was still playing. Unfortunately for him, he got hurt early in the 2000s, and never filled "his" shoes.

Let's not forget playoffs either. Melo took his team to the WCF by the age of 24. Hill was getting swept almost every year when he was young.
    Last edited by Sarcastic; 04-13-2012 at 03:46 PM.

Local High School Star

Grant Hill, easily. Melo is overrated.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    He never became the face. He was one of many "next Jordans" that the league had. His prime was the late 1990s, when Jordan was still playing. Unfortunately for him, he got hurt early in the 2000s, and never filled "his" shoes.
    I think it's fair to say Grant Hill was one of the faces of the NBA from 1994 until his injury in 2000. He arrived with a bang and may have led the league in All-Star votes as a rookie. He was popular and he was seemingly a great guy, appearing on endless amounts of commercials and magazine covers. None of that has to do with his skill, mind you, I'm just saying, the NBA definitely tried to make him the face (or at least one of the faces) fans would see when the topic of NBA basketball popped up.

In terms of skill and who I'd prefer, I'd select Grant Hill. I feel to say Grant Hill "only" had an advantage over Carmelo Anthony in the passing department would be similar to saying Hakeem Olajuwon only had the advantage over Dikembe Mutombo in the scoring department. There might be some truth to such a statement, but passing is not a small aspect to claim superiority upon. Hill's passing, in combination with his other skills, are what placed him above so many other players at the time.

I also just noticed the discussion pits a prime Grant Hill against current Carmelo Anthony. I feel this skews things even further in Hill's advantage. Just on play styles alone, in terms of how each player operates on the floor, I'd select Hill. On the flip side, even statistically, I'll take a guy who averages 20, 10, and 7 on 46% shooting over a guy who averages 22, 6, and 4 on 42% shooting.

In terms of intangibles, I feel Grant Hill was able to fit in with any team. He was similar to Jason Kidd in this regard. All-Around players tend to be able to step in and make something great happen somewhere at all times. I'm not sure I've always had a feeling Anthony was that malleable. There were never any distractions or issues with Hill. He was a guy people knew would always be there, putting in work, no matter what, without creating any issues - directly or indirectly.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.