Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe Bryant wants old-school D back..

The more rules they add, the worse the game gets, period.

All the new rules Stern has created are an attempt to artificially increase game pace and scoring, specifically from the wing positions.

Sterns goal is to create as many Jordan clones as possible. Having 3 white MVP's over the past decade was just an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Stats would be different but yes Kobe would still be top 3 player.. But probably alot more technicals...
    I think his scoring/stats would stay the same if not close to. Had he played in the 90's, Hakeem, Shaq, Jordan would all still be better (healthy Penny/Grant Hill would likely be compared to Kobe).

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi
    The problem here is that you're an idiot who doesn't understand what are the Old Rules and what are the New Rules. The Old Rules were what Jordan, Bird, and Magic played with.

From 2001 to 04, they legalized the zone in addition to all the old rules, so defenses were strongest then than at any era in history.

Now to fix this they made it harder to play defense in other ways, but kept the zone. These are the new rules. Kobe is saying that he could play better with more physical defense but no zone.

First it isn't a real zone.. Sure they can zone the side a player is on.. But I see the Lakers do that more than any other team in the league..

If Kobe is correct than why do Tex Winters, joe dumars, larry brown and doc rivers all think today's perimeter defensive rules are much better for OFFENSIVE PLAYERS...

An excerpt from DEATH OF DEFENSE

Tex Winter, now 84 and the veteran of more than a half century of coaching, has serious misgivings about what the league has done.

Winter acknowledges the outgrowth of the new rules interpretation is the rise of the super dominant offensive player, led by Wade

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    The more rules they add, the worse the game gets, period.

All the new rules Stern has created are an attempt to artificially increase game pace and scoring, specifically from the wing positions.

Sterns goal is to create as many Jordan clones as possible. Having 3 white MVP's over the past decade was just an added bonus.
    exactly

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    I think his scoring/stats would stay the same if not close to. Had he played in the 90's, Hakeem, Shaq, Jordan would all still be better (healthy Penny/Grant Hill would likely be compared to Kobe).

I agree.. Problem with today's defense is that the perimeter guys get one set of rules and the low post guys get a set of different rules.. That is why the top three players are perimeter guys... Something the NBA has done to get ratings up.. But back to the basket skills have suffered because of it..

I usually hit open layups

Bring it back would be awsome,

physical D and I highly doubt Kobe would average more on better shooting.
    I really don't get why he would want old school D back, he complains on every touch he drives to the basket.

They should create some sort of touch basketball league, that's where kobe would really shine.

Quote Originally Posted by D-nugz
    Bring it back would be awsome,

physical D and I highly doubt Kobe would average more on better shooting.
    I really don't get why he would want old school D back, he complains on every touch he drives to the basket.

They should create some sort of touch basketball league, that's where kobe would really shine.
    he doesnt want it back. he says it cuz he knows theyll never change it back. in fact, i dont know why this is even a debate. the fact is that there has never been a rule change to benfit defense in the modern era of sports. defense just doesnt pay the bills.

Kobe wants old school D?

The same guy who does a lot of vocal flopping?

Please, if he played in the 80's or 90's ,he would be whining like a ****

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Kobe wants old school D?

He did play in the 90's...

Great college starter

Centers would go back to averaging over 4 blocks a game. Bodies would break. Fights and maybe shootings would take place.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    "I'd like for us to go back to the old rules," Bryant said. "Get rid of the 'crutch defense,' known as the zone defense, and have guys guard man-to-man and stuff like that [and allow] hand checking and all that. I think that's better basketball."

A wise man indeed.
    So he wants to actually lower the defence EVEN MORE?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Centers would go back to averaging over 4 blocks a game. Bodies would break. Fights and maybe shootings would take place.

Yep.. Centers would be able to park in the paint..

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Kobe wants old school D?

He was drafted in 96. Moron

EPIC FAIL

LAwilwintheirlsthomegm

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    LOL at all these people saying Kobe would be affected more by these rules as they would be more physical. Let me explain something to you posters who obviously haven't got tonnes and tonnes of tapes lying around of the games back then. It's called a hand "check", thus meaning check. Not hand restraint, punch, claw, super shield, ultimate wall, just a check. Players were not allowed to impede a players motion in any which direction they chose to go. They were only allowed to sense body movement and have a better perception of which way the body was going. Remember now, hand "check".
    Glad to see someone knowing the game, I'd rep you if I could.
    A+ post.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Do you know why Kobe started take more perimeter shots? It's harder to score inside under the new rules. Zones which are allowed now force outside shots, hence why his outside shots did increase slightly for some seasons in proportion to his total shots. For some they did as I showed earlier in his career.
    Crap, Kobe has lost some of his athleticism, therefore relied more on his jumper..

you wouldn't be saying that if you actually watched basketball before the year 2000, you come accross intelligent on some of your posts, but your Kobe goggles are hindering your ability to make a sound argument...
    Last edited by poido123; 01-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.