Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    owwwww

Default Re: Kobe Bryant wants old-school D back..

Realistically what I think Kobe would do better under old rules:

- be able to use screens better to create open shots
    - move better off the ball (read the restrictions placed on the defender who was covering a player off the ball)
    - be able to isolate much easier in the post and as a result use that aspect of his game more often
    - couple more little things but these are some of the ones that come to mind off the top of my head

@ people acting like Kobe didn't put 30/7/6 in the greatest defensive era in league history (2001-2005...lowest scoring games ever, games came to a grind that they had to do something to make it a bit easier). Gotta love how people act like good players stopped playing right after 1998.

I guess some of the best defenders of this era (who did in fact play in the league when Jordan was around) don't know what they are talking about:

KICKS: If you guys could change one rule in the League, what would it be?
    Kevin Garnett: No zone.
    Tim Duncan : Yeah, the zone.
    Kevin Garnett: If there was one rule I could change today, it would be the zone.
    KICKS: Because it didn’t do what they thought it would do?
    Kevin Garnett: I think it puts players that are really good at a disadvantage, so to speak. Everybody here gets double-teams, if not triple-teams, so we can all speak on this. But it sorta—I remember Phoenix sat somebody literally right there [in the lane].
    Tracy McGrady: It makes it hard for a guy like me—
    Kevin Garnett: —who penetrates.
    Tim Duncan: It makes it hard for all of us.
    Tracy McGrady: It’s tough on all of us, it really is. When you’re tryin’ to make a move, and you got another guy sittin’ right there on the same side just waitin’…
    Kevin Garnett: Waitin’ on you!
    Tracy McGrady: Just waitin’.
    Kevin Garnett: He ain’t even playin’ his man!
    Tracy McGrady: Nah, not at all.
    LOL @ people thinking handchecking is stopping Lebron fcking James from getting to the rim. Comical to see idiots actually believe this. Kobe btw played under handchecking AND the zone rules back when he wasn't even in his prime and put up 30/7/6...but go back to '98? He's toast . Hell one of Kobe's highest per minute FTA seasons was in '97/'98 despite him clearly not being in his athletic or skilled prime back then as a 19 year old.
    Last edited by Fatal9; 01-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Realistically what I think Kobe would do better under old rules:

- be able to use screens better to create open shots
    - move better off the ball (read the restrictions placed on the defender who was covering a player off the ball)
    - be able to isolate much easier in the post and as a result use that aspect of his game more often
    - couple more little things but these are some of the ones that come to mind off the top of my head

@ people acting like Kobe didn't put 30/7/6 in the greatest defensive era in league history (2001-2005...lowest scoring games ever, games came to a grind that they had to do something to something to make it a bit easier). Gotta love how people act like good players stopped playing right after 1998.

I guess some of the best defenders of this era (who did in fact play in the league when Jordan was around) don't know what they are talking about:
    No it wasn't, it was because the offense sucked equally to how good the defense actually was.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

lol at the retards believing he'd be more productive. Maybe if they'd keep the circle and the D3 he could stay on par.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    LOL at all these people saying Kobe would be affected more by these rules as they would be more physical. Let me explain something to you posters who obviously haven't got tonnes and tonnes of tapes lying around of the games back then. It's called a hand "check", thus meaning check. Not hand restraint, punch, claw, super shield, ultimate wall, just a check. Players were not allowed to impede a players motion in any which direction they chose to go. They were only allowed to sense body movement and have a better perception of which way the body was going. Remember now, hand "check".
    HAHAHA.. that part in bold was pretty funny. But I agree with you, it's pretty sad that some people think the hand-check was a "super shield/ultimate wall". They're the ones that are stuck in a time-space warp and they refuse to believe that anyone can even play basketball after 98. Let alone, be as good or better than the stars of the 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by 30pts5rebs5asts
    HAHAHA.. that part in bold was pretty funny. But I agree with you, it's pretty sad that some people think the hand-check was a "super shield/ultimate wall". They're the ones that are stuck in a time-space warp and they refuse to believe that anyone can even play basketball after 98. Let alone, be as good or better than the stars of the 90's.
    exactly...actually this old school rough and tough basketball is still played in Euroleague with all the handchecking rules + zone defenses ( REAL ones, not NBA pseudo zones)...and one thing is for sure - a foul is still a foul, defender is only allowed to use his body to slow down attacking player, that's it. It's not like defenders are allowed to chop hands or fingers of their opponenets - that's complete bull...

Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

bu bu But Kobe scored 81 points in the zone era and back when he was quicker in his rookie years he couldnt do any of that ****

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Impossible to be done. Players, refs, fans have adjusted for too long for it to be feasible.

3-time NBA All-Star

"The rules are completely different now,'' said Bryant, comparing his era to Jordan's. "I've always been able to shoot the ball, but the rules have changed since he played in terms of playing a zone defense. You have to be a jump shooter now because there's no way you can get to the basket -- particularly myself because they just stack guys up. I wish we had the rules they had back in the day where you could isolate guys and you could go to the basket anytime. But now you have to be able to shoot.''

Kobe with old rules...scary thought

Yea he would shoot alot worse.. I don't understand how he can write that it is hard to get to the basket yet Wade and Lebron get to the basket at will...

Kobe should be happy that the no touch defense was put in.. Before these new rules were put in he had two straight seasons of 43 percent shooting... I would say it helped Kobe's career as much as any other players in the game.. Even Allen Iverson began to shoot 45 percent a year.. Which for Iverson was very good... Dwade would not be the player he is today with a hand in his chest..

High School Varsity 6th Man

You realize a 35 year old Jordan has averaged more FTs than Kobe has in ANY playoff run of his career? Kobe averages like 7 FTs a game...less than Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin and countless others used to shoot in early 90s (only time he shot more than 9 in a season was when he was on those bad Laker teams and using an absurd amount of possessions). Foolish kids don't know sh*t, see some cherry picked clips on youtube and think it was no blood no foul rules.

you do realize that MJ attacks to the rim much more than kobe right???

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Yea he would shoot alot worse.. I don't understand how he can write that it is hard to get to the basket yet Wade and Lebron get to the basket at will...

Kobe should be happy that the no touch defense was put in.. Before these new rules were put in he had two straight seasons of 43 percent shooting... I would say it helped Kobe's career as much as any other players in the game.. Even Allen Iverson began to shoot 45 percent a year.. Which for Iverson was very good... Dwade would not be the player he is today with a hand in his chest..
    Umm Kobe shot 4 straight seasons of 47% before the change of rules as well. He's done that once after the rule changes. Some food for thought...

3-time NBA All-Star

You realize a 35 year old Jordan has averaged more FTs than Kobe has in ANY playoff run of his career? Kobe averages like 7 FTs a game...less than Reggie Miller, Chris Mullin and countless others used to shoot in early 90s (only time he shot more than 9 in a season was when he was on those bad Laker teams and using an absurd amount of possessions). Foolish kids don't know sh*t, see some cherry picked clips on youtube and think it was no blood no foul rules.

Didn't Mj go to the rack over and over.. Pippen was hurt that year..

3-time NBA All-Star

Umm Kobe shot 4 straight seasons of 47% before the change of rules as well. He's done that once after the rule changes. Some food for thought...

Maybe you should look at the amount of 3's he took in those seasons.. More food for thought.. Alot less threes for Kobe meant better shooting percentages...

Maybe you should look at the amount of 3's he took in those seasons.. More food for thought.. Alot less threes for Kobe meant better shooting percentages...
    Stayed in proportion with his total shot attempts. In his second season he shot 12 shots a game, 3 of them being 3's, so at 24 shots a game like his 02-03 season, it would have equalled 6 threes attempted per game, where as in 02-03 he only attempted 4 per game.
    After that season, they generally stayed in proportion with the total shots taken.

3-time NBA All-Star

LOL at all these people saying Kobe would be affected more by these rules as they would be more physical. Let me explain something to you posters who obviously haven't got tonnes and tonnes of tapes lying around of the games back then. It's called a hand "check", thus meaning check. Not hand restraint, punch, claw, super shield, ultimate wall, just a check. Players were not allowed to impede a players motion in any which direction they chose to go. They were only allowed to sense body movement and have a better perception of which way the body was going. Remember now, hand "check".

Coach Doc rivers and Coach Larry Brown disagree.. I think I will go with what two experts say..

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...idge.defenses/

Coach Doc rivers and Coach Larry Brown disagree.. I think I will go with what two experts say..

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...idge.defenses/
    Way to go along with the most cliche thing ever. Detroit Pistons drafted Darko at number 2. I wouldn't have, I would have got Carmelo. Should I be running the Pistons seeing as I obviously knew what to do?