NBA Superstar

Default Help Gaining Better Grip on Basketball

I am curious as to whether anyone has any documented advice as to how I may be able to improve my ability to grip a basketball. I have relatively small hands for my height (6'3'') and I'm not necessarily looking to palm a ball (though it would be nice) but sometimes - whether from a ball getting worn from being outside or the rock just being flat out old, I have a hard time controlling it when I elevate to dunk with one hand.

I understand hand stregthening activities may help, but I'm also curious as to whether there are any artificial means to aide along the way. Do you know any tricks to restoring a basketballs' original sticky feel? Is there any legal substance that may improve my grip (talcum powder)? I've found I'm most likely to lose grip in the winter when my hands dry out and humidity is non-existent.

On that note, would keeping the basketballs in a humid environment (even in the winter) improve their grip? Would decreasing air pressure in the basketballs themselves make a difference? Any help is appreciated.

I usually hit open layups Spec5ial5k5's Avatar

Default Re: Help Gaining Better Grip on Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I am curious as to whether anyone has any documented advice as to how I may be able to improve my ability to grip a basketball. I have relatively small hands for my height (6'3'') and I'm not necessarily looking to palm a ball (though it would be nice) but sometimes - whether from a ball getting worn from being outside or the rock just being flat out old, I have a hard time controlling it when I elevate to dunk with one hand.

I understand hand stregthening activities may help, but I'm also curious as to whether there are any artificial means to aide along the way. Do you know any tricks to restoring a basketballs' original sticky feel? Is there any legal substance that may improve my grip (talcum powder)? I've found I'm most likely to lose grip in the winter when my hands dry out and humidity is non-existent.

On that note, would keeping the basketballs in a humid environment (even in the winter) improve their grip? Would decreasing air pressure in the basketballs themselves make a difference? Any help is appreciated.
    well during a real game ur not gona be playin with a ball with talcum powder or low air pressure ur ballhandling will get better if u play with a ball with a lack of grip

6'3 and you cant palm a ball
    I'm 6' and I can palm almost any ball I touch, new or old. my hands must be huge! (they're really not)

I would play with stress balls and that handle grips A LOT, and just practice palming a basketball in your free time

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    6'3 and you cant palm a ball
    I'm 6' and I can palm almost any ball I touch, new or old. my hands must be huge! (they're really not)

I would play with stress balls and that handle grips A LOT, and just practice palming a basketball in your free time
    Yeah, I think it's more me having small hands for my height than your hands being oversized. For some reason I have huge feet but small hands, which in part leads to a lower than normal standing reach and a faulty grip on the basketball.

I'll definitely work with the grips and I decided to try spreading my fingers out while I do my pushups. It makes more of a difference than I thought it would.

And to Special, I didn't mean caking the basketball in talcum, I was talking more toward hand preperation in that specific regard. I may have been a little vague. It seems I've noticed through the years that some people have naturally oily skin and some naturally dry. My hands happen to always be on the dry side, making it tough to retain grip when I should be able to. I was wondering if there was a quick fix that any of you guys used to aide in that regard. Is baby powder the same as talcum?

Well i'm 6'2 and can only palm the ball with my right hand, so its not particularly unusual. Try palming medicine balls, that should help.

Not airballing my layups anymore Euroball5's Avatar

These could help.