Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    College superstar

Default Re: Dealing with a defender who crowds?

Sounds like you must be soft and/or a bad athlete and/or a bad ball handler. Most of what these have posted will work, particularly just holding the ball strong with both hands and pivoting while ripping through (don't be Malone and try to elbow somebody, but naturally when making that motion the elbow is there and they'll have to give you some space), I'd say work on the aforementioned aspects though. I'm a big ass dude and quick and strong, crowding me is the worse thing because once I get by you you won't get back in front of me.

You might also try the half spin quasi post up kind of dribble, same theory. You're dribbling straight at them and when it looks like they're going to lunge/reach in at you you half spin and put your shoulder there. If you do it on a drive, you can knock them back enough which then also makes it harder for them to jump to contest, still without it being an offensive foul.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai11
    If he's guarding you straight up and you need space just stick your non pivot foot between his legs (crotch him) I call it.

That forces him to step back unless he wants to get hurt.
    Wow, usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the court but have a horrible jumpshot so they usually give me a lot of space... But for those few times this does happen... I've gotta try this...

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Shoo
    Wow, usually I'm one of the quicker guys on the court but have a horrible jumpshot so they usually give me a lot of space... But for those few times this does happen... I've gotta try this...
    Yeah i'm sure it'll help you, it's always helped me a lot