Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who was better, Patrick Ewing or David Robinson?

i'll take david all day everyday.

Clyde The Glide.

You can easily argue that Ewing was the better defender than Robinson was. Especially when he anchored those sick defenses during the 90s especially that year in the 1989. There's a reason why the Knicks were one of the best defensive teams probably the best defensive team when Ewing was the anchor. His defense reminds me of Yao Ming's, because they are both heavily under-appreciated and heavily underrated. Robinson got most of the awards given the fact that he had been voted into an All-Defensive Team 8 times. While Ewing only made it to an All-Defensive team 3 times.

But then you say that he settles for jumpers. If Scottie Pippen decides to go with his mid-ranged shot instead of finishing at the rim, will I call him out for being an unmotivated freak? I'd look more closely at the context of the situation and whether it was the right decision or not.
    If you had watched him play in the 96 or 98 playoffs. You had saw somebody who never used their body correctly. I don't think you understand that David Robinson is probably the most athletic center to ever play the game, possibly more athletic than both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain and the fact that he settles for jumpers tends to give him the soft label. People don't realize what kind of freak of nature he was. He always played a bit tough defensively, but offensively he always just settled for jumpers. If he was a passive and unselfish player like Kevin Garnett, it would be a different story, but he also frequently stat-padded like his 71 point game.

I think we both basically agreed that DRob was slightly more skilled, and was a better athlete overall, but Ewing had the type of game that I'd consider TRUE center worthy. He was a tough, intense, physical low post player that could take you outside as well.
    In my opinion, Ewing was more skilled, but Admiral was way more athletic. Ewing was more polished offensively, Admiral's post game was a bit raw from what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    Ewing was a much better leader than David. Ewing will make sure his team follows the game plan and for every great play you make, he'll get the team into a chest-to-chest bumping mode. There were several times Starks was jawing with Jordan or Miller and then Ewing steps in yelling at Starks to stop falling into their mind games. He'll let his players know that they missed their defensive assignments.

Offensively Ewing was better. He didn't have wide arrays of moves like Hakeem, Ewing moves were running across the lane shot, hook shot, turn-around fade away, 15-18 foot shot and a drop step shot, which is very reliable and that's all he really needs. Ewing's offense didn't require to be athletic, that's why even at the age of 36 and with bad knees and bad foot, he was putting up top numbers. Ewing was a back to the basket post player, whereas David was a face up player. David relies too much on his athleticism on his moves.
    Defensively, Robinson was better than Ewing, but Ewing wasn't bad either.

David got his ring through Duncan. Ewing at least made it to the finals. Many times, Ewing's team were stopped by Jordan's team which many considered as one of the best team ever ( record-wise ). Plus the East back then was very competitive.

Seriously, Ewing is underrated here. People here seem to judge Ewing because he don't have the same charisma, commercial appeal and athletic dunks like David does.
    Last edited by ClutchCity95; 07-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.

National High School Star SsKSpurs21's Avatar

David Robinson

# 4

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchCity95
    Well It's too bad the All-NBA teams and All-NBA Defensive teams are both regular season awards and accolades. Plus, If you remember in 2007 LeBron James was on the All-NBA 2nd team, I doubt anybody would say he wasn't a Top 5 player then, because that was also the same year he led the Cavs to the NBA Finals.

But for the regular season, I would take Robinson just because of his massive athletic advantage over every center. Playoffs? I'd go with Ewing, he had the better intangibles and also he was much more reliable offensively. When I watched Robinson in the playoffs when I was younger I saw a player who didn't use his body correctly, due to the fact that he frequently settled for jump shots. That was just my analysis on him in the 96 playoffs I believe.
    How a 14 year old watched Robinson is beyond me...

Do you have to come to a forums and compulsively lie?

My own opinion: Robinson because he was a better offensive player and defender. I think most will agree.

DRob.

Ewing was really good but is overrated (and over hated) b/c of the NY media.

Clyde The Glide.

[QUOTE=SsKSpurs21]David Robinson

# 4

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Robinson. Easily.

Nothing easy about this comparison, aside from there stats.
    Ewing never showed me anything that David couldn't do, but I can't say the same vice versa. David Robinson was more athletic, a better scorer, better defender, and a much more versatile player. David in his prime as a player was better than a prime Tim Duncan.

Clyde The Glide.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    Ewing never showed me anything that David couldn't do, but I can't say the same vice versa. David Robinson was more athletic, a better scorer, better defender, and a much more versatile player. David in his prime as a player was better than a prime Tim Duncan.
    Let's not overrate Robinson, He was not a very polished scorer. His hook shot was never very mastered and neither were his post moves. Was he still a good scorer? Of course. However, Ewing was much more reliable of a scorer. Robinson frequently settled for jumpers when his athleticism was beyond incredible. You can take a look at the post above yours, I made a pretty decent argument explaining that Robinson's supporting cast wasn't even that much worse than Ewing's.

Robinson was the better defender due to his versatility, but Ewing was no slouch he was a hell of a shot blocker and he anchored nasty defenses with the Knicks in the 90s. I don't know why people constantly say Robinson is the better offensive player, because I don't think so. Sure Robinson got the stats, but Ewing was more polished than him and more reliable than him at scoring the ball. Ewing also had many intangibles that did not show up in the stat sheet where as Robinson didn't. Leadership, passion, toughness, heart, etc.... Things you would see in Kevin Garnett.

This is a close comparison, closer than the stats indicate and closer than what people most people think. I have no problem if you think Robinson was better, but I'd much rather have Ewing especially in the playoffs.

Great college starter

You can easily argue that Ewing was the better defender than Robinson was. Especially when he anchored those sick defenses during the 90s especially that year in the 1989. There's a reason why the Knicks were one of the best defensive teams probably the best defensive team when Ewing was the anchor. His defense reminds me of Yao Ming's, because they are both heavily under-appreciated and heavily underrated. Robinson got most of the awards given the fact that he had been voted into an All-Defensive Team 8 times. While Ewing only made it to an All-Defensive team 3 times.

If you had watched him play in the 96 or 98 playoffs. You had saw somebody who never used their body correctly. I don't think you understand that David Robinson is probably the most athletic center to ever play the game, possibly more athletic than both Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain and the fact that he settles for jumpers tends to give him the soft label. People don't realize what kind of freak of nature he was. He always played a bit tough defensively, but offensively he always just settled for jumpers. If he was a passive and unselfish player like Kevin Garnett, it would be a different story, but he also frequently stat-padded like his 71 point game.

In my opinion, Ewing was more skilled, but Admiral was way more athletic. Ewing was more polished offensively, Admiral's post game was a bit raw from what I saw.

The Knicks had Mason, Oakley and Smith helping Ewing. Robinson had Cummings. Robinson scored 71 for the SA fans and FO. He settled for jumpers? He was always top 5 in ft's attempted. He had a good jumper, why not shoot it. DROB was not soft. Ask Shaq if DROB was soft. Robinson would pound on Shaq all the time. DROB outplayed SHAQ with ease all the way to 1998. Shaq would get butchered by DROB. DROB would get dunked on by Shaq all the time, but he also would stuff Shaqs dunks. Who else tried to block Shaq's dunks? Weird how it was a soft player like DROB doing it. SOFT? GTFOH! He was nice not soft. I watched DROB since 1989.

Let's not overrate Robinson, He was not a very polished scorer. His hook shot was never very mastered and neither were his post moves. Was he still a good scorer? Of course. However, Ewing was much more reliable of a scorer. Robinson frequently settled for jumpers when his athleticism was beyond incredible. You can take a look at the post above yours, I made a pretty decent argument explaining that Robinson's supporting cast wasn't even that much worse than Ewing's.
    I don't know how you can say a former scoring champ and a guy who scored 71 points doesn't have a polished offense. Honestly, that's a load of garbage. If being a scoring champ while also having 71 pt-career outburst still in your imagination is "not polished" you're the one really overrating Robinson.

Robinson was the better defender due to his versatility, but Ewing was no slouch he was a hell of a shot blocker and he anchored nasty defenses with the Knicks in the 90s.
    I never said that Ewing wasn't a good defender, cause he was, but Robinson was clearly better. He protected the rim, he could guard big guys, fast guys, and he had better hands and timing on his blocks.

I don't know why people constantly say Robinson is the better offensive player, because I don't think so. Sure Robinson got the stats, but Ewing was more polished than him and more reliable than him at scoring the ball. Ewing also had many intangibles that did not show up in the stat sheet where as Robinson didn't. Leadership, passion, toughness, heart, etc.... Things you would see in Kevin Garnett.
    David will always get flack for his supposed lack of heart, but I contend you cannot accomplish all the things he did without being his best. If he won the MVP, multiple All NBA 1st Teams, DPOY, etc, without passion.... That's damn impressive. To be easily a 1st ballot HOF and not exhibit passion? In the NBA? That's crazy if you ask me. Just because he is a bit more stoic, and more aloof and reserved doesn't mean he didn't have passion in my opinion. He may have not loved basketball as much as some of his peers, but I won't question that he played his best out there. Off the court he has done so many good things with his money and the community, as well as serving his country, I can't imagine that the guy doesn't have leadership or passion.

This is a close comparison, closer than the stats indicate and closer than what people most people think. I have no problem if you think Robinson was better, but I'd much rather have Ewing especially in the playoffs.
    Fair enough. I think that's the wrong choice, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Clyde The Glide.

I don't know how you can say a former scoring champ and a guy who scored 71 points doesn't have a polished offense. Honestly, that's a load of garbage. If being a scoring champ while also having 71 pt-career outburst still in your imagination is "not polished" you're the one really overrating Robinson.
    So because of 1 game he was very polished. There was a reason why Robinson tended to play sub-par come playoff time, relied a little bit too much on athleticism when he played.

I never said that Ewing wasn't a good defender, cause he was, but Robinson was clearly better. He protected the rim, he could guard big guys, fast guys, and he had better hands and timing on his blocks.
    Clearly?...No. Robinson was the better individual defender, while Ewing was the better team defender. In my opinion, Ewing was the better anchor, though Robinson would be able to get faked easier than Ewing did.

David will always get flack for his supposed lack of heart, but I contend you cannot accomplish all the things he did without being his best. If he won the MVP, multiple All NBA 1st Teams, DPOY, etc, without passion.... That's damn impressive. To be easily a 1st ballot HOF and not exhibit passion? In the NBA? That's crazy if you ask me. Just because he is a bit more stoic, and more aloof and reserved doesn't mean he didn't have passion in my opinion. He may have not loved basketball as much as some of his peers, but I won't question that he played his best out there. Off the court he has done so many good things with his money and the community, as well as serving his country, I can't imagine that the guy doesn't have leadership or passion.
    No question he has a huge heart and passion off the court, but so does Tracy McGrady and I truly hope you don't think he has heart or passion.

Fair enough. I think that's the wrong choice, but you're entitled to your opinion.
    It's closer than what you made out of it. You acted like it's Robinson and Ewing is far away when it's not. I have them right next to each other on my Top 10 centers list.

So because of 1 game he was very polished. There was a reason why Robinson tended to play sub-par come playoff time, relied a little bit too much on athleticism when he played.
    I said he was regular season scoring champ. Did you miss that? Even if, 71 points is no joke. Unpolished players don't get that far. 50 points maybe, as evident by Tony Delk, but 70 is a different plateau.

Clearly?...No. Robinson was the better individual defender, while Ewing was the better team defender. In my opinion, Ewing was the better anchor, though Robinson would be able to get faked easier than Ewing did.
    Yes, clearly.

No question he has a huge heart and passion off the court, but so does Tracy McGrady and I truly hope you don't think he has heart or passion.
    Tracy McGrady isn't a former MVP, DPOY, 4-time 1st team All-NBA, 10 time All-Star. Nor the philanderer that David is. How dare you even compare David to him. I love T-Mac, but till he gets anywhere close to David's accomplishments, your analogy is not applicable.

It's closer than what you made out of it. You acted like it's Robinson and Ewing is far away when it's not. I have them right next to each other on my Top 10 centers list.
    Well good for you, but the Admiral is clearly a better player than Ewing in my opinion. I grew up here in the tri-state where all my friends were Knicks fans. I watched a ton of more games of Ewing than I did of David and nothing I saw Ewing do I couldn't imagine David doing.
    Last edited by wang4three; 07-23-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Great college starter

Put Robinson on the Knicks and they beat the Bulls at least once. Give Robinson Mason, Oakley and Smith and the Spurs win at least one ring. Robinson had weak players around him.

Clyde The Glide.

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    I said he was regular season scoring champ. Did you miss that? Even if, 71 points is no joke. Unpolished players don't get that far. 50 points maybe, as evident by Tony Delk, but 70 is a different plateau.

Yes, clearly.

Tracy McGrady isn't a former MVP, DPOY, 4-time 1st team All-NBA, 10 time All-Star. Nor the philanderer that David is. How dare you even compare David to him. I love T-Mac, but till he gets anywhere close to David's accomplishments, your analogy is not applicable.

Well good for you, but the Admiral is clearly a better player than Ewing in my opinion. I grew up here in the tri-state where all my friends were Knicks fans. I watched a ton of more games of Ewing than I did of David and nothing I saw Ewing do I couldn't imagine David doing.
    Well it is your opinion and I can live with it, I have no problem putting Admiral above Ewing. I just prefer Ewing over Robinson. Ewing had just too many intangibles advantages over Robinson and was clearly the better leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Big#50
    Put Robinson on the Knicks and they beat the Bulls at least once. Give Robinson Mason, Oakley and Smith and the Spurs win at least one ring. Robinson had weak players around him.
    I already explained their teammates weren't even that far off. Plus, Ewing was the real leader for the Knicks and a true warrior. I can't say the same for Robinson. Michael Jordan said the Knicks he played in the 90s were tougher than the Bad Boys Pistons. That's saying something right there. While David Robinson was frequently punked by Karl Malone in the West. Ewing's nemesis was Michael Jordan while Robinson's nemesis was Karl Malone.
    Last edited by ClutchCity95; 07-23-2009 at 04:51 PM.