Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Who was better, Patrick Ewing or David Robinson?

Sonics!!

NBA rookie of the year

Look at his face. He's dead inside.

Im very surprised that anyone is picking. Ewing over Robinson. Ewing was a great a player dont get me wrong. But the admiral was a better all around player.

NBA rookie of the year

I'm surprised anyone can definitively pick one over the other. They were both great players. Maybe that's why it's a decent thread; it's so close.

I do think the majority will go Robinson, certainly the numbers point that way, but it is a preference thing. Ewing was a great player who would have been an ideal #2 or perhaps better put 1B to another stars 1A. Imagine Ewing and Nique or Drexler. What if Bernard King stays healthy. Those are teams that could have rivaled the young Bulls for NBA supremecy.

I usually hit open layups

All I can say is, imagine a lefty Dwight Howard with a far more polished offensive game and even better defense. That's David Robinson. And just because he didn't act thuggish and yell out expletives every second doesn't mean he's soft.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

David “The Admiral” Robinson, San Antonio Spurs

1 week avy bet..... RedZiggyZag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    Cartwright with his flailing elbows and veteran experience was the only guy capable of fully matching up against Ewing. Scott Williams and Wennington to a small extent but his inexperience against Ewing isn't something to bank on. Stacey King was an overweight lazybum who wasn't a "banger" like you said, but soft, a bad scorer and an even more terrible rebounder. I've only seen him make one good play in his entire career that everyone overlooks. I have a higher vertical than Will Perdue, among other things. Parish was 43 yrs old. John Salley probably got less playing time than Sonny Weems did on the Nuggets (which is saying a LOT). Luc Longley is known for his passing, not defense.

And you are acting as if Ewing is playing the full 48 minutes of every game. The Knicks have backup centers too, you know. That's like telling me that Jordan was in for a long night against the Jazz because *gasp* Jamie Watson was going to guard him.
    I really don't think highly of either Ewing or Robinson, but as far as individual talents go and as far as accomplishments and greatness goes it's Robinson.....All in all, Some of you guys are being incredibly harsh to Robinson and too nice to Ewing. You guys act like Robinson was some type of Karl Malone choker, is that true? A bit, Sure, but you guys also act that Patrick Ewing was some type of Bill Russell playoff performer? Is that true? Not a freakin' chance. Ewing was just as good of a playoff performer than Robinson, a bit better but not to a point where you would take him over Robinson. Ewing is getting too much love in this thread, while as Robinson is getting way too much hate in this thread.

Also......., if you guys are so in love with intangibles, then you mind as well take Vernon Maxwell over Tracy McGrady, I would.....but I know who's the better player here, picking who you want on your team is a choice of preference, deciding who's better, involves using logic and facts.

Superstar

It's D-Rob and its not really that close

Kobe Bryant

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    I'm going to respond more fully tomorrow, but for now:

I don't recall David Robinson ever having lack of heart or desire. Where did you get this from? The 1995 NBA WCF?

Also, what would be some "intangibles" that Ewing brought to the table that Robinson did not? You can tell me he advanced further into the playoffs, but I will tell you that the reason why I think so is because he had a better team and a pretty damn good coach to help make it happen.

Ewing relied on that jumper heavily and came up short so much with his sweaty self

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter

Ewing relied on that jumper heavily and came up short so much with his sweaty self
    on point but d-rob didn't have much of a post-game to speak of either. he was able to get away with it though because he was such a freak athlete that could find his way to the rim. his jumper was shaky as well. from that 10-12 foot zone, he was mostly money

despite those weaknesses, i give the edge to robinson by a decent margin. they were comparable scorers (i'd def argue robinson was more efficient) but robinson was the better passer and defender. robinson made first team all nba six times to ewing's one. he was also consistently ranked higher in MVP voting.

as an aside, we should note that ewing's knee injuries really took quite a bit out of him...

while robinson was lambasted for the '95 WCF vs. hakeem in which he did play bad, it wasn't nearly as awful as people make it out to be. plus, it was hakeem. during his four year peak, hakeem was outclassing every other center - no real shame in that. ewing also struggled vs. hakeem in the 94 finals. in the deciding game 7 where starks infamously shot 2-18, ewing shot less than 40% in his own right. tbh, i always felt NY choked that game away more than houston snatching the championship. they had their opportunities. but hey, that's what separates the champs from everyone else
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 04-11-2012 at 03:26 AM.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    as an aside, we should note that ewing's knee injuries really took quite a bit out of him...
    The guy made some of the most jaw dropping goal tendings before his injuries.