Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dwight Howard vs. Hakeem Olajuwon

Quote Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
    I actually think Dwight has a good chance.

Him leading his team to the finals at such a young age, injury free, works hard and is starting to develop some post move whether people want to give him credit or not.

It sucks that they signed Lewis to that big contract, however I do believe that Howard should be able to win ring in the next 10 years, more importantly, if Lebron does stay in the East, that could be a new rivalry there.
    Hakeem led the Rockets in 1986 NBA Finals when he was 22/23 yrs.old. The 1980's Rocket defeated the Showtime Lakers in the Western Conference Finals.

Young Hakeem would destroy and humiliate Pau Gasoft and Andrew Bynum in a Best of 7 series.

Him leading his team to the finals at such a young age, injury free, works hard and is starting to develop some post move whether people want to give him credit or not.

It sucks that they signed Lewis to that big contract, however I do believe that Howard should be able to win ring in the next 10 years, more importantly, if Lebron does stay in the East, that could be a new rivalry there.
    The Magics were lucky to make it to the Finals though. You think they would of beat the Celtics when KG is active? they nearly went to game 7 against the Sixers

Saw a basketball once CarolinaBlue704's Avatar

whatever makes you sleep better at night.but i dont think im going out on a limb when i say,Howard has no chance(0%)of being as good as Olajuwon.

Quote Originally Posted by hall of fame
    Dwight Howard vs Hakeem Olajuwon

Which player would you rather build a team around?

Who will be viewed as the greater player 10 years from now?
    You need to be ban just for making this most retarded thread ever.
    A lack of basketball knowledge is just simply uncalled for. Go back to your pre-school.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    You need to be ban just for making this most retarded thread ever.
    A lack of basketball knowledge is just simply uncalled for. Go back to your pre-school.
    Agreed.

Hakeem had better post moves in Africa then Dwight does nearing his prime...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    Agreed.

Hakeem had better post moves in Africa then Dwight does nearing his prime...
    And he was better defensively,the best center defensively at that,and he was a better passer with a inside/outside team Howard can barely pass and he plays on a outside/inside team,the original poster should be hung for making the most dumbest most lopsided thread on this forum.

Banned

Hakeem Olajuwon. This guy can carry a team, regardless of how much of his teammates suck.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    Hakeem Olajuwon. This guy can carry a team, regardless of how much of his teammates suck.
    Yup.

7-time NBA All-Star

What was Dwight better at? Rebounding? No, not even that. Dwight has led the league twice with 14.2 and 13.8 per game. Hakeem led the league back to back years as well with 13.5 and 14.0 rebounds per game. However Hakeem also had to carry a heavier load offensively average 24.3 and 24.8 points those seasons while Dwight averaged just 20.6 and 20.7 ppg. Plus Hakeem played next to Otis Thorpe who was good for 9-10 rpg himself while Dwight played next to Rashard Lewis good for just 5-6 rebounds.

Was Dwight better defensively? Not even close. Can you pciture Dwight holding Patrick Ewing to 36% shooting and forcing him to take 23 shots per game while scoring just 19 ppg in the NBA Finals? Neither can I, but Hakeem did it. Can you picture Dwight outscoring prime David Robinson by 11.5 ppg while also doubling up his assist and block totals, outrebounding him and shooting 11% better from the floor in the Western Conference Finals? Neither can I, but Hakeem did that too. Robinson actually was pretty much a taller left handed Dwight Howard with a better shooting, better passing skills and even better defensively ability. So in short David was a superior Dwight Howard and Hakeem humiliated him on the biggest stage.

In case you forgot about Hakeem's accomplishments, check out these seasons.

1988-1989 24.8 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 3.4 bpg, 2.6 spg
    1989-1990 24.3 ppg, 14.0 rpg, 2.9 apg, 4.6 bpg, 2.1 spg

1992-1993 26.1 ppg, 13.0 rpg, 3.5 apg, 4.2 bpg, 1.8 spg, 52.9 FG%. Hakeem led a team with the second scorer being Vernon Maxwell(13.8 ppg) to 55 wins and he was robbed of MVP. They advanced to the second round and took a great Sonics team to 7 games.

1993-1994 27.3 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 3.6 apg, 3.7 bpg, 1.6 spg, 52.8 FG%. Hakeem took that same supporting cast from the previous to 58 wins and a championship while winning finals MVP, MVP and defensive player of the year. As I mentioned he shut down Patrick Ewing in the finals, holding him to an embarrassing 36% shooting and outscoring him by 8 ppg.

1994-1995 27.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, 3.5 apg, 3.4 bpg, 1.8 spg. Hakeem led the Rockets to another championship despite being the 6th seed. Dream averaged 33 points and 4.5 assists on 53.1% shooting in the playoffs and outplayed both Shaq and David Robinson. Robinson was the league MVP that year.

In fact look at Hakeem and David head to head in the 1995 Western Conference Finals.

Hakeem Olajuwon- 35.3 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 5.0 apg, 4.2 to, 4.1 bpg, 1.3 spg, 56.0 FG%
    David Robinson- 23.8 ppg, 11.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 4.5 to, 2.2 bpg, 1.5 spg, 44.7 FG%

Hakeem was just too good. Great defender in all aspects with no weakness on that end of the floor. He became a very solid passer later in his career, he could shoot well out to about 18 feet consistently, he could make tough off balance shots and most importantly his low post moves were second to none. his spins and fakes were so good it was impossible to predict which way he was going to turn. His favorite move was his fadeaway which was near unstoppable, but he had a reliable jumphook, a couple of variations of the famous dreamshake and an up and under with about a billion countermoves.

We will never see another Hakeem Olajuwon. Dwight's instincts just aren't as good as Hakeem's. I doubt Dwight will be as good as David Robinson or Patrick Ewing and this is coming from a big Dwight Howard fan. Only someone who never saw Hakeem play would even ask this question.

RP 4 lyfe

Hakeeeeem

Banned

Hakeem, but dwight could have a better prime. I bet Dwight has the ability to block up to 5 a game. Not that he will, but he sure has the athleticism.

College star

why would you even make this thread? Its obvious you never watched hakeem play and that wouldnt be as bad but you decide to match him upo to someone that doesnt even compare statistically? Not that im warrenting you do that, if your gonna compare players at least watch them.

Good High School Starter

When I first saw this thread I read it as:

"Who will be a better player in 2019?"

I thought, well Hakeem will be 56 and Dwight will be 34. Still Hakeem.

When I realized that he meant who would have been better during their prime my soda came pouring out of my nose.