Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Good college starter

Default Re: Jumping VS Not Jumping when shooting

woops my fault.

If you could though would you jump shoot instead of set shoot at the free throw line?

Dunking on everybody in the park Basketman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    woops my fault.

If you could though would you jump shoot instead of set shoot at the free throw line?
    If you practice jumpshooting from there a lot, you can get really good.

Good shooters shoot with their legs. The arms just guide the ball. That's why when a NBA players legs go the ball just hits the front of the rim a lot.

Also, jumping makes it harder for the defender to block your shot.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by yobore
    woops my fault.

You CAN jump. As long as you don't cross the line, you can jump all you want. Just gotta land behind the FT line. Hal Greer used to shoot that way in the 60s and 70s. Career 80%+ FT shooter.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Damn this I gotta see. Any chance we may one day get a youtube video of this? You can fuzz out your face lol
    lol What's the big deal? Bird did this all the time. My shooting form is sorta like his -- above and behind my head, with the elbow on my guide hand's arm kinda out more at an angle than usual. I've thrown shot fakes that had entire teams (mine and the opponent's) turned around looking for the rebound as I glided in for a layup.

I'm sure lots of people have flat-footed shot fakes and flat-footed or nearly flat-footed set shots. I jump (very high and quick, actually) on pull-ups. When I was younger (like 17-19) I used to joke around ith guys and actually go into my slow shot fake on pull-ups without jumping, and they'd jump to challenge, but I hadn't jumped. So I would wait until they landed and then just release it over their outstretched fingers. That was gimmicky, though, so I stopped doing that a long time ago.

shot without jumping are with only little lift is easier most of the time, since your balance is better (you must bend your knees though to have enough strength). For wide-open set shots, it's a good choice.
    For short jumpers in traffic or pull-ups, you better jump for avoiding a block (especially for small players). But it also gives you a better view and a little time to adjust your balance.

Jumping high on jumpshots needs much practice, the most difficult part is the timing of release IMO. You release it to late, then you loose all the strength and the shot gets flat and short. Release to early, then you can't flip the wrist properly a get a good feeling for the shoot. But basically, the movement should be the same, jumping or without jumping.

I only use a high jumping jumpshots for pull-ups, but not very accurate...

Dunking on everybody in the park jason816's Avatar

Sam Perkins barely jumps when he shoot the 3.

Not airballing my layups anymore majorhops's Avatar

Okur goes on his tippy toes when he shoots jumpers.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

It's all comfortableness, to me. However, there's less chances of you being stuffed when using a jumpshot opposed to using a set shot. You don't necessarily have to jump high for your shot though. Just enough to get it over your defender. When you jump high and release at the apex, more often than not, you'll get lots and lots of

Value Ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketman
    Now I got another question: is there a player in the NBA that shoots without jumping?
    Brent Berry gets about a quarter inch off the ground on his 3's nowadays.

I think jumpshoot has another advantage, which is that you get more arc for the ball with less arm strength. For example, compared to a set shot, the point where the ball is released will always be higher. Actually now I think of it I'm not 100% sure lol. But I saw something very interesting on sports sceince.

The basket is 18 inches wide, the ball is 9 inches in diameter, the higher arc the shot has, the higher chance it has of going in. A shot coming directly above the rim will have almost 4 inches leeway from the middle of the hoop. A very flat shot however, will have tiny leeway and therefore have less chance of going it. Maybe that has something to do with jumpshooting.