Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Hellbound

Default Re: How Big Is Drake's Buzz?

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit
    What he's lacking is an actual strong background, lol. People knock Kanye for coming from a low-middle class background...Drake went to Forest Hill, it's an all jewish rich school in a filthy rich area.

He just had a show here in Toronto with Bun B, almost all of my friends went, he was really good apperently.
    Wasn't he in the Canadian Saved By The Bell? I think that's pretty much a wrap for street credibility right there.

I've never really listened to much of his ****, but I'm hoping he doesn't try to have similar subject material as Gucci, Jeezy, etc etc. Cuz niiggas are just gonna roll their eyes if it's an actor in a teenage sitcom that also came from an upper class neighborhood is talkin bout trappin, stackin, and gun clappin. So that limits his marketability substantially, he's got females and internet nerds and backpackers as his target audience. Look at the backlash when Ricky Ross got ousted as a prison guard. It didn't matter that he wasn't a fed or a detective or even a regular beat cop. He coulda been a meter maid or a rent-a-cop at a mall, but niiggas saw that badge, and that was that. Lyin bout it didn't help neither.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit
    What he's lacking is an actual strong background, lol. People knock Kanye for coming from a low-middle class background...Drake went to Forest Hill, it's an all jewish rich school in a filthy rich area.

He just had a show here in Toronto with Bun B, almost all of my friends went, he was really good apperently.
    Kanye's not from a low-middle class background.

His mother was a professor at Chicago State and his father is a photographer.

Street cred doesn't matter in Hip Hop anymore, anybody who says it does is clearly out of touch.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    Wasn't he in the Canadian Saved By The Bell? I think that's pretty much a wrap for street credibility right there.

I've never really listened to much of his ****, but I'm hoping he doesn't try to have similar subject material as Gucci, Jeezy, etc etc. Cuz niiggas are just gonna roll their eyes if it's an actor in a teenage sitcom that also came from an upper class neighborhood is talkin bout trappin, stackin, and gun clappin.
    Nah its none of that, just real music.

So that limits his marketability substantially, he's got females and internet nerds and backpackers as his target audience. Look at the backlash when Ricky Ross got ousted as a prison guard. It didn't matter that he wasn't a fed or a detective or even a regular beat cop. He coulda been a meter maid or a rent-a-cop at a mall, but niiggas saw that badge, and that was that. Lyin bout it didn't help neither.
    Im sorry but which mainstream rappers are selling records with trap rap?

Even TI switched up to sell more records.

This new era of Hip Hop is primarily focusing on the clubs, but sometimes there are a few good sings that are catchy and become hits.

Make da trap say ayye isn't a top 10 hit.

I don't really get the buzz. He's not a bad rapper, but he uses autotune when sings (at least in the songs I've heard), which I can't tolerate.

He's the first rapper for Toronto, hell from Canada, that has a chance to really blow up in the mainstream rap world in the states.
    Last edited by Kujo; 05-20-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Hellbound

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Im sorry but which mainstream rappers are selling records with trap rap?

Even TI switched up to sell more records.

This new era of Hip Hop is primarily focusing on the clubs, but sometimes there are a few good sings that are catchy and become hits.

Make da trap say ayye isn't a top 10 hit.
    And that's why I still bang Trap Muzik over Paper Trail personally. But them niiggas could diversify, they could make songs for the hos, songs for the clubs, and songs for the hood niiggas. Drake can never make songs for the hood niiggas, cuz it's completely and utterly false. Most rappers are, but generally it's not as blatant, like Ricky Ross.

Maybe that's why I've never heard of Drake outside of the internet, cuz Detroit isn't bangin that soft ****. Gucci and Juice set the streets on fire, Drake might have the internet goin nuts (word to Paul Wall) at best. I dunno about where any of you lived, but I remember when like half the city of Detroit was geeked up for the new Hot Boys (Let Em Burn) to drop. EVERYBODY was talkin bout that ****. I think it was approximately 12 niiggas in the city that were excited about The Carter 3. The streets do not check for or bang lame ****. And no matter how many suburban white children and females buy rap albums, the streets are what certifies you as a rapper.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JayGuevara
    And that's why I still bang Trap Muzik over Paper Trail personally. But them niiggas could diversify, they could make songs for the hos, songs for the clubs, and songs for the hood niiggas. Drake can never make songs for the hood niiggas, cuz it's completely and utterly false. Most rappers are, but generally it's not as blatant, like Ricky Ross.
    Hood niigas don't buy the CD's, download your single, or request the song on the radio.

Thats what matters, and if you can sell your show out with women & knowledgable Hip Hop fans then you can be successful like Kanye.

Maybe that's why I've never heard of Drake outside of the internet, cuz Detroit isn't bangin that soft ****. Gucci and Juice set the streets on fire, Drake might have the internet goin nuts (word to Paul Wall) at best. I dunno about where any of you lived, but I remember when like half the city of Detroit was geeked up for the new Hot Boys (Let Em Burn) to drop. EVERYBODY was talkin bout that ****. I think it was approximately 12 niiggas in the city that were excited about The Carter 3. The streets do not check for or bang lame ****. And no matter how many suburban white children and females buy rap albums, the streets are what certifies you as a rapper.
    This aint 1993, you can be successful or certified without the streets giving you a stamp of approval and most people dont care about that stamp anymore.

If you find a lane and can attract a fanbase why be worried about acceptance amongst a group that only respects people like themselves.

Gucci & Juice have street ***** fanbases, but they wont be accepted in the mainstream where the real money is at for a rapper.

Soulja Boy is a corny ass coon and he still is getting $60K for a show, trust me I know a promoter here in Baltimore who had to pay him that to get him to do a show.

Juiceman was down here about 2 months ago and he only had to pay him $12K for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo
    I don't really get the buzz. He's not a bad rapper, but he uses autotune when sings (at least in the songs I've heard), which I can't tolerate.

He's the first rapper for Toronto, hell from Canada, that has a chance to really blow up in the mainstream rap world in the states.
    What about Kardinal Offishall?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Kanye's not from a low-middle class background.

His mother was a professor at Chicago State and his father is a photographer.

Street cred doesn't matter in Hip Hop anymore, anybody who says it does is clearly out of touch.
    How much do you think profesors at Chicago State undergrad make? That is lower middle class to middle class...

If you think you have to be dirt poor to have an opinion or make hip hop then you out of touch with reality.

I have never heard him get any play in any part of Florida. He is a web phenomenon, and has yet to translate his e-buzz to street buzz. Until he is hot in the streets he won't matter, and god forbid he ever beefs with anyone.

@Younggrease: Ask Rick Ross if street cred matters. It is still important in mainstream hip hop and will always be.
    Last edited by Dasher; 05-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    How much do you think profesors at Chicago State undergrad make? That is lower middle class to middle class...

If you think you have to be dirt poor to have an opinion or make hip hop then you out of touch with reality.
    Some people think that way, but hey, maybe Kanye's family was broke at one time, you never know. In my life, my family went from making 300,000 to 0. Life is just a series of blind corners, at one point I was living in a 3000sq ft house with a movie theatre in the basement to sharing a room with my sister and rountinely hearing gunshots and having our car repossesed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    I have never heard him get any play in any part of Florida. He is a web phenomenon, and has yet to translate his e-buzz to street buzz. Until he is hot in the streets he won't matter, and god forbid he ever beefs with anyone.
    The sad thing is, he is a crossover rapper, that is going to sell a to white females because he was on Degrassi. That said, he will never have street cred, so he might as well tread lightly.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Well I know in Newark(I did a biweekly program at a local high school) the kids were talking about Drake. The people I know in Trenton talk about him a lot as well. Drake isnt the type of rapper that seems like he will get into that stuff. He seems like he sings almost as much as he raps. I think he is gonna be big just based off the consistent quality of songs put out on his mixtape. There are a ton of songs that would be great singles.

The sad thing is, he is a crossover rapper, that is going to sell a to white females because he was on Degrassi. That said, he will never have street cred, so he might as well tread lightly.
    My teenage cousins love him and say that everyone in school is buzzing about him. The kids in Newark love him as well. I think that he will sell to more all females not just white females.

NBA Superstar

music is meh, but I love how you guys all say this guy is doomed because a rapper has to be some kind of degenerate f*ckin wannabe or convicted felon scumbag to get any credibility.

no wonder sh*t is so f*cked up.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    Compared to who?
    Thats more money than average, thats upper middle class definetly.

Much like Detroit.

National High School Star STelfair31's Avatar

drake doesnt really rap like a thug.. so he isnt fronting about anything..