Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Draft Talk!

Stern+refs=fail

Default Re: Draft Talk!

cash and a future 2nd from houston for Chase

NBA lottery pick

I'm happy with that. We got our pick back and money. Let's face it the draft isn't the way to get good fast this year. It's all about free agents and trades. Maybe that 2nd rounder will be in a better draft and we can find another steal.

i think joe d really nailed it with the first 2 picks daye was a solid pick, who obviously needs to develop. consensus on summers was that he was a first round talent who slipped for whatever reason. i think jerebko will probably never play a game for the pistons, especially considering he's now #4? on the SF depth chart if he makes the team...

with that last pick though, i think anybody else would have been better. mills, nivins, leo lyons, jerel mcneal, even chris johnson...

i guess my other issue is, if you plan on selling that pick or clearing cap space and getting cash (like they did with the budinger pick), then why don't you look for more immediate help where you selected jerebko? i don't really know what the plan is with him, but with most international players, outside of top 10's like rubio, they don't seem to come over for at least a year other than summer league.

Stern+refs=fail

We haven't drafted a Center since 2003, and haven't had a 7 footer since Darko. We are so short

NBA lottery pick

For the most part 2nd rounders aren't immediate help. They typically don't even last in the NBA. I think the idea is to try and go with potential and find the next Rashard Lewis type player rather than getting that person who will just be a bench player. I don't even sweat the 2nd round selections. The only player we have on the roster right now that was a 2nd round pick is Walter Sharpe and he really didn't even play. The other guys from the bench were just undrafted people from overseas. So we can see the 2nd round is something where you may as well try to shoot for the stars.

Daye reminds me of Anthony Randolph last year who got drafted by Golden State. He actually didn't do a bad job for them this past season either. He has a lot of upside. Let's hope he bulks up before the season. He might be able to help us a bit next year. I'm thinking he will be more of a year after next contributor type. Nonetheless, I like the pick.

With the moves that Cleveland, Washington, and Orlando made our team is a ways off. There wasn't anything this draft was going to do to get us caught up to them. Let's hope Joe D has some magic up his sleeve come July 1st when free agency begins. We have more cap space now than when the day began.

I'm glad we took all F's

Even though we coulda got Ty Lawson.

NBA lottery pick

It's not as bad as passing up on Wade, Bosh, and Melo and then passing up on Josh Howard with the next pick

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    It's not as bad as passing up on Wade, Bosh, and Melo and then passing up on Josh Howard with the next pick
    True Dat Mon!

Austin Daye Look like a poor Man's Rashard Lewis
    Last edited by A_RastaMon; 06-26-2009 at 01:01 AM.

Stern+refs=fail

We have more cap space now than when the day began.
    Not unless Houston gave us $1.5m+ for Chase

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
    Not unless Houston gave us $1.5m+ for Chase
    How do you figure? Even if they gave us $1 it's more than we had to begin with. What's crazy to me is Houston was throwing money around and I didn't think they had it to begin with. They've been trying to get rid of McGrady's contract for a while now. And they gave up that money for people who aren't really impact players. Say they gave us 1 million for Chase. Then they potentially sign that guy to a contract. Even if they only give him $750,000 that means they practically paid close to $2 mil for him to be on their team. I would think they could find somebody established to be a bench player for that.

Speaking of McGrady, I actually think it would be smart for a team to pick him up. He's had plenty of time to rehab. So there's a chance he could be really good. So he could help a team for this season. If he doesn't his contract falls off and that team would have a ton of cap space to go after a big name FA in 2010. Plus even if he does play good his next contract will be significantly smaller. So said team could resign him for cheap and still go after one of the 2010 superstars. It's a huge gamble for someone but a quick rebuilding process.

Speaking of McGrady, I actually think it would be smart for a team to pick him up. He's had plenty of time to rehab. So there's a chance he could be really good. So he could help a team for this season. If he doesn't his contract falls off and that team would have a ton of cap space to go after a big name FA in 2010. Plus even if he does play good his next contract will be significantly smaller. So said team could resign him for cheap and still go after one of the 2010 superstars. It's a huge gamble for someone but a quick rebuilding process.
    huge gamble is an understatement. i think the worst thing in the world for tracy mcgrady is allen iverson. just look at how joe d's huge gamble paid off and you'll understand why teams have been reluctant to acquire mcgrady.

NBA lottery pick

I think it's more because there aren't enough teams that can handle his salary. NY would be a likely destination for him. That would be a huge chunk of change that falls off the books next year when they want to make their run at Lebron. Plus like I said, if the guy is decent they could resign him for cheap and then have him next to Lebron. That's not a bad gamble. I think McGrady > Iverson.

Stern+refs=fail

How do you figure? Even if they gave us $1 it's more than we had to begin with. What's crazy to me is Houston was throwing money around and I didn't think they had it to begin with. They've been trying to get rid of McGrady's contract for a while now. And they gave up that money for people who aren't really impact players. Say they gave us 1 million for Chase. Then they potentially sign that guy to a contract. Even if they only give him $750,000 that means they practically paid close to $2 mil for him to be on their team. I would think they could find somebody established to be a bench player for that.

Not really, coming in we didn't have the 15th pick's salary counting against us ($1.5mil) So by the 2nd round we had $1.5m less and then got cash from Houston.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detsportsfan3
    Not really, coming in we didn't have the 15th pick's salary counting against us ($1.5mil) So by the 2nd round we had $1.5m less and then got cash from Houston.
    sure we did. In any reasonable calculation of their potential cap space, the money for the 15th pick was included (along with salary increases etc). That is why everyone from Langlois to me realized that we didnt have 20 mil but more like 17 mil (before the trade).

Stern+refs=fail

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    sure we did. In any reasonable calculation of their potential cap space, the money for the 15th pick was included (along with salary increases etc). That is why everyone from Langlois to me realized that we didnt have 20 mil but more like 17 mil (before the trade).
    But the money doesn't technically count against us until we draft him. I get what you're all saying but officially we lost money yesterday, just not as much as everyone expected.