Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Ring Magazine Fighter of the Decade

Whos better, Floyd or Manny? Who cares, I just want to see a good fight!

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I dont see how RJJ is on that list and Floyd isnt based on beating the best.
    Different decades. Who else in the 90s even came close to dominating like Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Different decades. Who else in the 90s even came close to dominating like Jones?

Pernell Whittaker, but Roy Jones Jr. is one of the most exciting fighters of all time, and he defeated Toney and Hopkins in the 90's.

And he only lose one match in the 90's via DQ.

Top 10 greatest Boxers in the 1990's.

1. Roy Jones Jr.
    2. Pernell Whitaker
    3. Evander Holyfield
    4. Oscar Dela Hoya
    5. Lennox Lewis
    6. Felix Trinidad
    7. Bernard Hopkins
    8. James Toney
    9. Hector Camacho Sr.
    10. Naseem Hamed
    Last edited by Lebron23; 05-15-2009 at 09:39 AM.

if pacquiao beats cotto,

there's no way pacquiao should win that fight.. cotto is naturally bigger and stronger than him.. hell, pacqiao started fighting at 105 (around that..)

i do think he will beat cotto though, lol.. i just can't see this dude losing a fight, atleast not right now. dude is in his prime..

Why do casual boxing fans continue to overrate Cotto? Manny should win a fight against Cotto. The guy's chin is nonexistent, and his camp is going through, and always seems to be going through turmoil.

Cotto is overrated because he was hyped up so much that the casual boxing fan who really doesnt watch boxing much just assumes he is still great as he was billed to be. I dont think they've watched much of Cotto to determine that hey, he is not this monster who no one wants to get in the ring with. I dnt think they watched fights where he ate more leather than Jeff Lacy. And Jeff gobbles that shyt up. And his chin for such an intimidating, badass rican boxing isnt up to snuff. The more the casual fan hears Cotto this, Cotto that, they just assume he must be the real deal.

I'd rather Pacman vs Mosley and Judah personally.

I expect Clottey to put him down anyway. Clottey is a dangerous fighter, who has an opportunity to make a real name for himself, and become the most ducked fighter in the sport, after the unstoppable Andre Berto of course.

You like Berto? I dunno bout dude.

I like his power, and resiliency. He would be unstoppable at Jr. Welterweight. I could stand for him to move his head more, and not take so many rounds off. His shell is not good enough for him to lean on the ropes as much as he does. He is still a young fighter, and I see a nice foundation for him becoming a special fighter.

Does anyone else want Manny Augustus to become a trainer? I think the guy could be entertaining and a fairly good trainer. We need more drunken masters.

I'll admit PBF resume is just as impressive, maybe even better in this decade. Castillo, Gatti, Judah, still relevant DeLa Hoya, an undefeated Hatton... anyone who says PBF didn't fight great fighters has got to wake up, I'll still go with Pacquiao as the decade's best for keeping his name out there and consistantly fighting better fighters, as well as getting better himself while still stepping up in weight.

Decent playground baller The Judge's Avatar

Floyd be ducking more guys than he's fighting.

Decent playground baller The Judge's Avatar

No way is Cotto overrated. If anything, after his loss to Tony (who was cheating) he's underrated.

I don't think he'll have any trouble with Clottey. Clottey hasn't fought in awhile.

The 6 wins (first Marquez fight was scored incorrectly by the judge's own admission; should have been ruled a majority decision) over Marquez, Morales, and Barrera are more impressive than anything Floyd's done in his career.

That's all it boils down to. Both are dominant against average title-holders and B-level fighters but Manny took and won more elite fights. I don't think people recognize the Marquez, Pacquiao, Barrera, Morales grouping was the greatest quad boxing's seen since Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and Leonard. And Pacman absolutely dominated it, more than Leonard ever did his.

Two of Mayweather's best wins were duplicated by Manny, in more convincing fashion and more impressively considering Floyd is a naturally bigger fighter with a naturally bigger frame that had to move to 135 because he couldn't cut to 130 anymore, while Pacman moved up only for the challenge. and a ****ton of cash. Mostly the challenge though.

Judah, Gatti, Hernandez, Chavez, and Corrales are all impressive wins. And they are all lesser fighters than JMM, Morales, and Barrera.

though it's pretty stupid to decide this now since they'll both fight again this year and will probably fight each other next year.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zombles
    The 6 wins (first Marquez fight was scored incorrectly by the judge's own admission; should have been ruled a majority decision) over Marquez, Morales, and Barrera are more impressive than anything Floyd's done in his career.

That's all it boils down to. Both are dominant against average title-holders and B-level fighters but Manny took and won more elite fights. I don't think people recognize the Marquez, Pacquiao, Barrera, Morales grouping was the greatest quad boxing's seen since Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and Leonard. And Pacman absolutely dominated it, more than Leonard ever did his.

Two of Mayweather's best wins were duplicated by Manny, in more convincing fashion and more impressively considering Floyd is a naturally bigger fighter with a naturally bigger frame that had to move to 135 because he couldn't cut to 130 anymore, while Pacman moved up only for the challenge. and a ****ton of cash. Mostly the challenge though.

Judah, Gatti, Hernandez, Chavez, and Corrales are all impressive wins. And they are all lesser fighters than JMM, Morales, and Barrera.
    First of all, I think that saying that Pac 'dominated' JMM, MAB, and Morales is going a bit far. The fact is, his combined record against those three was 5-1-1. Impressive? No doubt. But, it was pretty clear that MAB was past his prime the first time he fought Pac, let alone the second and Morales was a shell of his former self in the second and third fights between the two. Pac earned a draw and a split decision in his two fights against JMM, the only one of the three that was clearly in his prime.

The featherweight division Pac began to dominate after his loss to Morales was not what it was 2-3 years earlier. All of those great fighters had a lot of miles on them by then.

They were still quality wins, but let's not discount what Floyd did in an effort to prop up Pac's dominance over a division filled with aging all-timers.

A lot of people don't remember this, but Floyd Mayweather Jr. was actually a considerable underdog when he fought Diego Corrales. Chico was 33-0 with 27 knockouts when he fought Floyd and he was widely considered the best young prospect in the sport, coming off of a three-round dismantling of Angel Manfredy.

Floyd not only beat Corrales, he dominated to the point where I never thought Chico was quite the same or fought with the same kind of confidence that he did before facing PBF. Floyd knocked him down five times in seven rounds, if memory serves me correctly, before his corner threw in the towel.

Then, after gutting out a grueling win over Jose Luis Castillo, which some thought Floyd lost, he immediately took the rematch and clearly beat the former lightweight title holder.

Keep in mind that these fights did take place at super featherweight and lightweight, which is worth noting. Pac's biggest wins prior to DLH and Hatton were all at featherweight and, while in a pound-for-pound sense, Morales and MAB may be ranked higher than Corrales and Castillo were, I would favor Castillo and Corrales over either MAB or Morales if they fought in their primes. There is just a big weight advantage and we saw what happened when Morales tried to move up to lightweight... he was dominated and beaten to a pulp by Zahir Raheem (hardly on prime Castillo/Corrales level)... and that was BEFORE Pac beat Morales twice.

You can't just look at the names that each fighter faced, but at what weights? Hell, I would say that Floyd's domination of Zab Judah at 147 is a better victory than beating a bunch of washed up featherweights.