Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Default Wilt Chamberlain discussion

Discuss Wilt Chamberlain
    Last edited by insidehoops; 05-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Default Re: This Wilt Garbage Has Got To Stop

Well, heres my post... I can't find the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by db23
    LOL at the 1969 finals on youtube, can anyone watch this with a straight face and tell me this looks anything better than elite highschool ball?Looks like local ymca, check out the white guys drive 11 seconds in rofl, that bum wouldnt be sniffing a division 1 college these days yet he's getting 4th quarter time in the NBA finals, haha check out his free throw form then little skip as he misses rofl.Wilt looks like some freakshow with 5 feet long legs who put on a pair of shorts 8 sizes to small and accidently wondered on to an NBA court.Bill Russell?ROFL he looks like Ben Wallace with 30 pounds less muscle and a bad case of athritis, anyone who watches the 4th quarter and is impressed needs medical help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWhRNU-59K0
    I was just in a huge argument about this. No one was there to agree with me. Where were you? This era of ball was WEAK. I said Jerry West wasn't athletic and this dude sent me a clip of Jerry West dribbling from half court and hitting an uncontested lay up. Then he laughed at me as if I had be done. He sent me other links where I realized that to crossover West had to turn his back to his defender first so he could switch hands wihtout losing the ball.

I dunno, some of my favorite facts about the 60's players who couldn't jump higher then me yet could hack today's nba. Please note: as crazy as it sounds these are all facts.

- Most of that era's players actually played with soccer balls

- the talent pool they came from was literally 1000's of times smaller

- the league was so bad defensively that a player could average 50 points, a triple double or 20 boards for a whole season

- Players didn't really know how to box out and rarely did, even on foul shots

- In 10 years from 1966 to 1976 the size of the league more then doubled from 9 to 24 teams allowing way more scrubs who had never once played at that level into the league to get beat up on by the pros

- At the same time as that expansion the ABA opened it's doors. 3 years later NBA owners voted 14-3 to let them merge cuz they knew they were getting crushed.

- Why? In 1976 when the merger happened 75% of the ABA players made the NBA sending many star's victims home

- of the 4 teams who merged the Spurs won division titles 5 of their first 6 years. The Nuggest were 1-3 games from the league's best record. The Nets who were the best team in the ABA were forced to sell their best player Dr. J and move the team due to the severe financial/draft limitations. Their other great player, Nate tiny Archibald broke his foot. The team still won 22 games.

- when the merger happened many stars stats plummeted... some from like, top five to out of the top 20 in many cats

- Elgin Baylor, a 6' 5" player averaged 35 and freaking 20 and 38/19 in back to back seasons. He was 6'5" and was one of the first players who could actually play, but he was 6'5". Thats almost a 40/20. Come on!

- one player had a 55 rebound game as well as many other 40+ 50+ games, as did a few other dominant players. In the past 25 years of basketball and more, there has not been a single game over 35 and only a handful close to it

- Jerry West at the 2 guard put up better numbers then Michael Jordan in his prime in the 90's, better then Lebron, better then Kobe in his prime, he was 6'2", could not jump, could shoot the lights out and D'ed up, but could barely dribble with his left hand... he was 6'2"

- While not playing basketball players did not spend time doing anything else but having sex with women and jumping. That's how Wilt had a 50" vert and planted his stilt in 20,000 pieces of trash... well u know, according to him.

Are there any others to add to the list? Which are your favorites? Every team averaging 3 guys on it's roster who couldn't even make the weak era NBA but were there cuz the ABA had a more competitive league? Jerry West putting up better numbers then Michael Jordan? Or a 6'5" guy's numbers actually approaching a freaking 40/20?

The stats were padded. The competition was weak. The ego's inflated. Its all obvious when you watch the footage of a finals game and wonder why there are no plays being run and people don't box out but still as I'm sure this thread has already seen there is some dude who's going to ignore all that above and argue till he's blue in the face that didn't matter. The player's leadership, tenacity and competitiveness would have made them much the same in today's game. But wait, I've saved the best fact for last.

Players would regularly smoke butts on the bench and at halftime!

The NBA, its cancertastic!

Bill Russell wouldn't be an all-star in today's game, probably not even a starter. Backup PF at best.

Wilt would still be a star center, but not nearly as dominant as he was.

Bob Pettit wouldn't be **** either.

It was a weak era, no doubt. Basketball hadn't even been around for very long, and African-Americans hadn't been fully integrated into it (see all the unathletic white guys. THe basketball infrastructure had not been established yet.

I usually hit open layups

Ill post it again..., thats part 2 of the whole 4th quarter split up, watch the game, supposedly best two teams of the era, no BS stats etc, just watch them play, then tell me you are impressed.

LOL at the 1969 finals on youtube, can anyone watch this with a straight face and tell me this looks anything better than elite highschool ball?Looks like local ymca, check out the white guys drive 11 seconds in rofl, that bum wouldnt be sniffing a division 1 college these days yet he's getting 4th quarter time in the NBA finals, haha check out his free throw form then little skip as he misses (and this stiff scored 12 points in the previous quarter, against the "dominant" Wilt Chamberlain) rofl.Wilt looks like some freakshow with 5 feet long legs who put on a pair of shorts 8 sizes to small and accidently wondered on to an NBA court.Bill Russell?ROFL he looks like Ben Wallace with 30 pounds less muscle and a bad case of athritis, anyone who watches the 4th quarter and is impressed needs medical help.

Last edited by db23; 04-28-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by db23
    Ill post it again...

LOL at the 1969 finals on youtube, can anyone watch this with a straight face and tell me this looks anything better than elite highschool ball?Looks like local ymca, check out the white guys drive 11 seconds in rofl, that bum wouldnt be sniffing a division 1 college these days yet he's getting 4th quarter time in the NBA finals, haha check out his free throw form then little skip as he misses rofl.Wilt looks like some freakshow with 5 feet long legs who put on a pair of shorts 8 sizes to small and accidently wondered on to an NBA court.Bill Russell?ROFL he looks like Ben Wallace with 30 pounds less muscle and a bad case of athritis, anyone who watches the 4th quarter and is impressed needs medical help.

Do you know what happened? I just spent a wack of time in a thread with 0 support and a guy who thought West was more athletic then Magic and Bird.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by indiefan23
    Do you know what happened? I just spent a wack of time in a thread with 0 support and a guy who thought West was more athletic then Magic and Bird.
    Was this in the thread I started about Wilt?Or did it go in to a seperate thread, either way they both arnt there now.Nice summary by you though, cant really put up an argument against those points.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.G.
    Bill Russell wouldn't be an all-star in today's game, probably not even a starter. Backup PF at best.

It was a weak era, no doubt. Basketball hadn't even been around for very long, and African-Americans hadn't been fully integrated into it (see all the unathletic white guys. THe basketball infrastructure had not been established yet.
    Yes I am stupid & took the bait.

Go read a book young man.(Suggestions : They Cleared The Lane: The NBA Black Pioneers by Ron Thomas) The NBA has been a majority Black/African American league since the 64-65 season In fact I hope someone would post a photo of the 65/66 Celtics & compare them with the 86 Celtics. The 66 Celtics was far 'Blacker" than the '86 pasty White Celtics who had maybe four Black Players.

AGAIN: The NBA has been a majority Black league since around 64/ 65.

I know you guys are simply trolling for a response,but I made this post for OTHER serious posters who are not sure of the great legacy & Players of the '60's who are just as/or more capable/talented as today's player.

1)Elvin Hayes was an NBA all star in the 60's, 70's & 80's. (The 80's which is considered the leagues 'Golden Age')

2)Wes Unseld was a top three rebounder in the League in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

3)Kareem was 'technically' an all star in the 60's,70's & 80's as well.

Someone please find the team photo of the mid 60's Celtics & compare them with the '86 Celtics & see who had 'unathletic White guys'.

dude of COURSE the white guy with the early drive looks un-athletic. Thats Don Nelson. You know, the head coach of the Warriors. He was NEVER known as a super athletic guy. He was a hustle player.

Mark Madsen looks like ass driving the ball too ya know.

25-30ppg & 15-20 rebounds is definitely not over exaggerating. Speed, Strength, his ability to "adapt"..lol common.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.G.

With the possible exception of D Howard and Yao Russ would be a starting C in todays weak C day. I look at the Sorry C in todays game most are so soft you got players like Tony parker going to the basket with no fear of a hard foul. You got big stiff C shooting 3 pointers instead of banging in the paint. I laugh when people say Russ and Wilt counldn't play today yao is 7'6 and he shoots fade aways Shaq is like 40 and he still might be the best C in the league

Go read a book young man.(Suggestions : They Cleared The Lane: The NBA Black Pioneers by Ron Thomas) The NBA has been a majority Black/African American league since the 64-65 season In fact I hope someone would post a photo of the 65/66 Celtics & compare them with the 86 Celtics. The 66 Celtics was far 'Blacker" than the '86 pasty White Celtics who had maybe four Black Players.

I know you guys are simply trolling for a response,but I made this post for OTHER serious posters who are not sure of the great legacy & Players of the '60's who are just as/or more capable/talented as today's player.

1)Elvin Hayes was an NBA all star in the 60's, 70's & 80's. (The 80's which is considered the leagues 'Golden Age')

Someone please find the team photo of the mid 60's Celtics & compare them with the '86 Celtics & see who had 'unathletic White guys'.
    32jazz, you're correct. But, you see, some people choose to believe things that they saw nowhere, read nowhere (they hardly read at all, after all), never proved, but, because they weren't alive in that era, they found a good excuse to imply that they didn't miss anything serious. Some of them may believe that in 1950's you were considered a super athlete if you had a 20-inch vertical and that today's WNBA players would make a 60's roster. There's nothing to respond to these people without being in danger of having your IQ dropped by a lot.

And yes, you're also correct about the Celtics:

http://images.google.gr/imgres?imgur...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Lol, only the '57 and '60 Celtics were whiter than the '86 Celtics.

Banned

Yes, the league has come a LONG way since the days when unathletic white guys were stars...

Wait... a short, skinny, white, unathletic Canadian winning not one but 2 MVPs, back to back?

Because, as history has taught us, if you're not super athletic you won't do well in the modern NBA ::cough, Larry Bird, cough Tim Duncan, cough 7 championships 5 finals MVPs 5 regular season MVPs... cough::

Extra footage for the dude who's claimed like 150 times up to now that they played basketball with soccer balls back then (did the US even know what soccer was before the 50's?). Note that these pics aren't even from West's-Russell's-Wilt's era. They are taken before these guys were even born:

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordp...etball1920.jpg

(taken in 1920)

http://images.google.gr/imgres?imgur...%3D21%26um%3D1

(go to 1908 and check even the women's team)

http://images.google.gr/imgres?imgur...%3D21%26um%3D1

(pic belongs to the 1890-1913 section)

http://home.moravian.edu/public/arch...B1920-1921.jpg

(1921)

To anyone who knows anything about soccer, the NON-similarity to soccer balls, especially in terms of size, is obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz

Hey, I believe you. I just assumed that since blacks had only just gotten civil rights and such that there was still a long ways to go in terms of african-americans having basketball facilities for their schools and such. I wasn't trolling, I believe you that it was a majority aa league.

But, don't you think that the ports infrastructure for young african-americans has improved just a tad since then? Especially since the black kids in the south could now go to previously "white" schools and enjoy the benefits of better facilities, training, and coaches?

And the game itself has changed so much, athleticism and size are so much more significant nowadays. A 6'2 white SG being a star nowadays, not happening. The standard height for every position has gone up, Centers used to be like 6'8 now they have to be like 6'11, PFs used to be like 6'6-6'7 now they're all 6'9+ etc, etc, the players are stronger, faster, heavier, and more athletic overall, the way the game is played reflects that.

Bill Russell would not be anything special nowadays, seriously. Maybe a star, but not the dominant defensive force he was.

And as for Dirk and Nash, yeah, there are a very few white stars, but not even close to what there was back pre-70's.
    Last edited by A.M.G.; 04-28-2009 at 04:20 PM.

^lol.

Would they still be all stars today? I think not.