Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Re: This Wilt Garbage Has Got To Stop

Also David Thirdkill was on that '86 team, though does not appear to be in this team photo.

edit never mind that is the '87 team (I think). But he was indeed another black player on the '86 team
    Last edited by Scott Pippen; 04-28-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pippen
    Also David Thirdkill was on that '86 team, though does not appear to be in the team photo.

Damn!!!! Be careful Pippen.

The glare from the pasty "White unathletic' skin of this team nearly blinded me Maybe that's why they swept MJ & the Bulls in '86? The glare from their skin blinded Jordan?

Thank you Pip. Now place the 66 team with John Thompson/Russell/ Sam & K.C Jones,etc...... side by side. Proof of the'unathletic White guys' of the 60's.

According to Psileas Williams was released mid season so that team only had three Black Players(DJ/Parish/Vincent) & one(Sam Vincent) only played less than 10 minutes per game.

I just checked about Sly. He only played 6 games (54 minutes) for the team. So, basically the "midseason" I referred to was probably an overstatement...

He was a naughty kid, even after retiring:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sly_Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    I just checked about Sly. He only played 6 games for the team.

He was a naughty kid, even after retiring:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sly_Williams
    I Guess Red Auerbach was a good judge of character huh?

So the '86 Celtics (top 5 team off all time)only had three Black players on the entire roster?(One doing clean up duty)

I used to dislike Greg Kite & Danny Ainge with a passion growing up a Laker fan.

Banned

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Yes I am stupid & took the bait.

Go read a book young man.(Suggestions : They Cleared The Lane: The NBA Black Pioneers by Ron Thomas) The NBA has been a majority Black/African American league since the 64-65 season In fact I hope someone would post a photo of the 65/66 Celtics & compare them with the 86 Celtics. The 66 Celtics was far 'Blacker" than the '86 pasty White Celtics who had maybe four Black Players.

AGAIN: The NBA has been a majority Black league since around 64/ 65.

I know you guys are simply trolling for a response,but I made this post for OTHER serious posters who are not sure of the great legacy & Players of the '60's who are just as/or more capable/talented as today's player.

1)Elvin Hayes was an NBA all star in the 60's, 70's & 80's. (The 80's which is considered the leagues 'Golden Age')

2)Wes Unseld was a top three rebounder in the League in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

3)Kareem was 'technically' an all star in the 60's,70's & 80's as well.

Someone please find the team photo of the mid 60's Celtics & compare them with the '86 Celtics & see who had 'unathletic White guys'.
    [COLOR="DarkGreen"]1986 Boston Celtics = Greatest Team of All Time

Best Half Court Passing Game, Shooting Game, Shot Selection, High FG%, Defense and Team Oriented Team of All Time[/COLOR]

[COLOR="darkgreen"]1 Black Starter: Robert Parish (C)
    1 Mullato Starter: DJ (PG)

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]The Rest All Whities....

That 1986 Team Beat the Lakers in 4 of their Season Matchups...1 of them in Los Angeles without Kevin McHale...

They also knocked down 7`4 Athletic Freak Ralph Sampson and 6`10 Master Defender, Foot Worker, Agil, Stronger and Post Player Hakeem

How?

Fundamentals...

Fundamentas > Athletic Capacity...

Bill Walton Crippled as He was was More Effective playing 15-20 Minutes Than 90% of Centers that Year...
    [/COLOR]

By the way that 86 Team was like Barkley said "Ugliest Team of All Time"...You Go By their Looks and You Wil Get Schooled..

Parish: A Hunchback Uncoordinated Looking Center
    McHale: A Frankestiened White Boy that Couldn`t Jump Nor Was Potent
    Bird: A Slow, Unleaping Country Boy...that looked more like a Doctor, Profesor than an Athleate...
    DJ: A Fat Point Guard
    Ainge: Your Common Urban White Boy that looked more like he should be a boy scout than a B-Ball Player
    Walton: A White Hippie...Crippled...

YOU GO BY THEIR LOOKS...YOU GET 1986 OWNED! [/COLOR]

Last edited by Sir Charles; 04-28-2009 at 08:26 PM.

National High School Star Sir Charles's Avatar

Charles Barkley on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno 17 April 2009

http://www.funnynba.com/2009/04/char...show-with.html

"Just Cause Your Fast...Doesn`t Mean You Can Play"

You don't think this may have anything at all do with how they measured players then (without shoes) vs now (+ the exaggerated heights) and sometimes apparently not even updating their college measurements/weights back then.

Damn!!!! Be careful Pippen.

The glare from the pasty "White unathletic' skin of this team nearly blinded me Maybe that's why they swept MJ & the Bulls in '86? The glare from their skin blinded Jordan?

Thank you Pip. Now place the 66 team with John Thompson/Russell/ Sam & K.C Jones,etc...... side by side. Proof of the'unathletic White guys' of the 60's.

According to Psileas Williams was released mid season so that team only had three Black Players(DJ/Parish/Vincent) & one(Sam Vincent) only played less than 10 minutes per game.
    Yes but the problem is even then some people on this site (more than you may think) would also consider even the 1980s to be a "weak era", if you believe it or not. Again, just like the 1960s, it is a matter of ignoring what they don't care to know.

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

I know you guys are simply trolling for a response,but I made this post for OTHER serious posters who are not sure of the great legacy & Players of the '60's who are just as/or more capable/talented as today's player.
    You know, I'm not trolling for a response. I'm sick and tired of me saying something like "Young Shaq was the most athletic big of all time" and then some other guy coming and trolling what I'm saying with some horse crap about how Wilt Chamberlain was a great arm wrestler and got lots of points and boards against players who couldn't jump or dribble and smoked butts during games. Its just BS.

You're a serious poster? Explain to me how in the 40's when that era started playing basketball (with soccer balls) the world population was three times smaller and bball was only popular in the states and then only played by a small proportion of the people. Today ball is international, the second largest and fastest growing sport in the world. So explain to me how you think taking the few hundred best players from a talent pool 1000's of times smaller and who have inferior training techniques and time to dedicate to the game can possibly produce a group of players at the same athletic level?

If we took two groups of random players in any sport, one was 100 and the other was 100,000, and we took the 10 best from each group and your wife's life depended on you betting on the winner, you're telling me you put the money of the best 10 from 1000? If you're serious, answer that and make me understand how it works.

1)Elvin Hayes was an NBA all star in the 60's, 70's & 80's. (The 80's which is considered the leagues 'Golden Age')

2)Wes Unseld was a top three rebounder in the League in the 60's, 70's & 80's.

3)Kareem was 'technically' an all star in the 60's,70's & 80's as well.

Someone please find the team photo of the mid 60's Celtics & compare them with the '86 Celtics & see who had 'unathletic White guys'.
    Joking right? Hayes retired in 1981 long before the peak of the NBA which was absolutely 10 years later in the very late 80's and very early 90's. So did Enseld before the best rebounders in history were even drafted. Kareem was a great player but his career was winding down just as the best bigs of all time were young young players. After 81 Kareem was still in his prime and pulled down less then 8 boards for the rest of his career. A far cry from the 17 he pulled down in his hey day and weak era.

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    With the possible exception of D Howard and Yao Russ would be a starting C in todays weak C day. I look at the Sorry C in todays game most are so soft you got players like Tony parker going to the basket with no fear of a hard foul. You got big stiff C shooting 3 pointers instead of banging in the paint. I laugh when people say Russ and Wilt counldn't play today yao is 7'6 and he shoots fade aways Shaq is like 40 and he still might be the best C in the league
    Hmm... I'm not really commenting on today's game. Its an anomaly of werid rules driven by non-basketball agendas. I still don't think Russell starts though. Not at 215 and 6'9" at center. I more mean the peak of the NBA in the 90's. Today's game hasn't proven itself yet and is a weak era too. Its improving steadily though. I'm still not srue what I think fo the 00's. Its a transition era for sure. In that regard its pretty comparable to the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Yes, the league has come a LONG way since the days when unathletic white guys were stars...

Wait... a short, skinny, white, unathletic Canadian winning not one but 2 MVPs, back to back?

Because, as history has taught us, if you're not super athletic you won't do well in the modern NBA ::cough, Larry Bird, cough Tim Duncan, cough 7 championships 5 finals MVPs 5 regular season MVPs... cough::
    Since when was coordination, speed, coordination at speed, durability and endurance not athletic traits? If Wilt had Dirk's skills he could hack an MVP today too. But he doesn't, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Extra footage for the dude who's claimed like 150 times up to now that they played basketball with soccer balls back then (did the US even know what soccer was before the 50's?). Note that these pics aren't even from West's-Russell's-Wilt's era. They are taken before these guys were even born:

http://theinvisibleagent.files.wordp...etball1920.jpg

(taken in 1920)

http://images.google.gr/imgres?imgur...%3D21%26um%3D1

(go to 1908 and check even the women's team)

http://images.google.gr/imgres?imgur...%3D21%26um%3D1

(pic belongs to the 1890-1913 section)

http://home.moravian.edu/public/arch...B1920-1921.jpg

(1921)

To anyone who knows anything about soccer, the NON-similarity to soccer balls, especially in terms of size, is obvious.
    A soccer ball painted brown is still a soccer ball. From Wikipedia:

Development of equipment and technique

Basketball was originally played with a soccer ball. The first balls made specifically for basketball were brown, and it was only in the late 1950s that Tony Hinkle, searching for a ball that would be more visible to players and spectators alike, introduced the orange ball that is now in common use. Dribbling was not part of the original game except for the "bounce pass" to teammates. Passing the ball was the primary means of ball movement. Dribbling was eventually introduced but limited by the asymmetric shape of early balls. Dribbling only became a major part of the game around the 1950s, as manufacturing improved the ball shape.

Sorry, try again.

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.G.
    And as for Dirk and Nash, yeah, there are a very few white stars, but not even close to what there was back pre-70's.
    I think the difference is that skill wise Dirk/Nash are just about flawless. There's almost no one with Nash's shooting zone percentages. Dirk is the same. And that's only considering one skill. Nash's passing/dribbling ability is insane and that's before you consider the speed at which he does it.

You don't think this may have anything at all do with how they measured players then (without shoes) vs now (+ the exaggerated heights) and sometimes apparently not even updating their college measurements/weights back then.
    Uh, lots of people are still listed barefoot and shoes don't add that much. Its incorrect to assume that every player from that era is 2 inches taller in comparison to today. And what about the average weight going way up without speed going down but up as well? Measurement changes to height, which are not universal at all, don't change that.