Page 1 of 29 123411 ... LastLast
    Bucks fan

Default Steroids in the NBA

I'm not accusing any specific players of using drugs - just want to make that clear.

But steroids have been a problem in pretty much every other sport. Why would basketball be the only sport that doesn't suffer from steroids? Rumors swirled around baseball players such as Bonds for many years before everyone finally admitted that yes, he obviously was using steroids. Why did it take so long for everyone to admit that he never could have gotten that big without juicing?

The NBA's drug testing policy is known to be pretty lax. It just seems like the opportunity is there, and with certain players, the superman muscles are there as well. In baseball and boxing we found out later that in virtually every case these superman looking players were juicing. Will we one day find out the same about basketball players? Players in the 80's weight trained pretty seriously but none of them looked like the freakishly cut players of today.

http://mvn.com/bucksdiary/2009/04/re...ccusation.html

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Steroids in the NBA

Wade is on it...he ain't fooling nobody...

Good college starter

anyone who thinks there arent any steroid users in the NBA is just naive

Quote Originally Posted by adamcz
    Players in the 80's weight trained pretty seriously but none of them looked like the freakishly cut players of today.

http://mvn.com/bucksdiary/2009/04/re...ccusation.html
    I disagree. Most NBA players of that era starting working with weights but they don't do it seriously. They believed that getting too strong would take away their lateral quickness and throw their shot off, so yes they'd lift but not on a true serious level. When you're talking about a serious weight lifting regimen you end up looking like this:

So yes guys like Dwight and Bron are huge for NBA standards, and they've bucked the stereotype that being muscular hurts your game as a basketball player, but compared to NFLers, they really don't seem that big. Its just that when you see them beside long lanky guys like Tayshaun Prince and Chris Bosh that they look bigger. And seriously are either Dwight are Bron really that much bigger than Karl Malone was or Ben Wallace is?

It's interesting how many players enter NBA as muscular, but normal guys and one year later they are all superman.

I am Chris Wilcox

Guys like Lebron and Dwight aren't really that big compared to juicers (NFL players, MLB players). They're very toned with a fair amount of muscle mass. Apart from Ben Wallace, there isn't really anyone in the NBA that comes across as being a muscle bound freak. You're kidding yourselves if you think guys like Lebron and Dwight are muscle bound. Compared to the NBA, the are bigger than average, but compared to athletes in other sports, they're not that big.

Dwyane Wade has steroid rage.

Hopefully he takes it out on his playoff opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    Guys like Lebron and Dwight aren't really that big compared to juicers (NFL players, MLB players). They're very toned with a fair amount of muscle mass. Apart from Ben Wallace, there isn't really anyone in the NBA that comes across as being a muscle bound freak. You're kidding yourselves if you think guys like Lebron and Dwight are muscle bound. Compared to the NBA, the are bigger than average, but compared to athletes in other sports, they're not that big.
    This could be because they build lean muscle. Alex Rodriguez has done this and so has many other athletes. I do agree with you that LeBron isn't muscle bound like someone like the likes of Ben Wallace. He's just overall better distributing his muscles form his legs to his shoulders, Wallace has a lot skinner legs than LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by sodap
    It's interesting how many players enter NBA as muscular, but normal guys and one year later they are all superman.
    yeah, thats interesting. Oh wait, its not. Because it doesn't happen.

I am Chris Wilcox

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    This could be because they build lean muscle. Alex Rodriguez has done this and so has many other athletes. I do agree with you that LeBron isn't muscle bound like someone like the likes of Ben Wallace. He's just overall better distributing his muscles form his legs to his shoulders, Wallace has a lot skinner legs than LeBron.

Which is what I was thinking. Steroids don't just make you into a muscle bound freak straight away, you still have to work incredibly hard to get the results you want.

Ray Allen.

Joey Graham has steroid rage!

^^ Is Allen thinking of going into bodybuilding or something?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

One of the things steroids do is heal damaged muscle. That's why they work. You work out, destroy muscle, and it rebuilds stronger. It's one of the reasons I thought you would see more pitchers using than hitters in baseball if you were ever able to read everyone's minds. Especially helpfull it would be for relievers who are destroying there arms three to four times a week. The quick healing turnaround steroids could provide would be huge. I'm not sure what the suspension positional breakdown would be. It'd be interesting.

All that said, I think a well thought out steroid regimen would be really beneficial to a basketball player playing four or five times a week, back to backs, three in four nights. I'm not sure if it's ingrained in the culture enough to be happening, but I wouldn't be even a little surprised, because it would probably exceptionally helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    ^^ Is Allen thinking of going into bodybuilding or something?
    I'm more impressed with Joey Graham. Though he seems to have lost his passion for body building since coming into the NBA. He looks like he has added bodyfat.