Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Vertical Jump Nfl vs NBA and Nba stars true Vertical and Height

Yes, they might have raw power, but the reason they can't play in the NBA is because they don't have all-around athleticism. That means they have to have awareness, along with body control and many other factors that make NBA players superior.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    Yes, they might have raw power, but the reason they can't play in the NBA is because they don't have all-around athleticism. That means they have to have awareness, along with body control and many other factors that make NBA players superior.
    Not really.

It is because they don't have the basketball skill.

In the NBA you could argue it goes

Skill

Athleticism

In the NFL:
    Skill/Athleticism

Banned

speedy claxton is under 6 feet but has a max vert of 42.5 ?

Good High School Starter

Right....because Randy Moss doesn't have good body control, you have seen him play basketball right?

Or how about Donovan Mcnaab, played in the NCAA championship game...in BASKETBALL. He was on the Syracuse team that lost to Kentucky in 96' finals. Doesn't have good body control...LOL...

If anything skill position players in the NFL, running backs and wide recievers, corner backs, have far far superior body control than those awkwardly tall giants in the NBA.

Moss,McNabb, and TO (among others, were really good college basketball players.....there is no way they could play in the league. Not because they don't have all around athleticism(a lot of NFL players do)...but because they simply aren't good enough.

I like basketball more but.....I'm definitely way more impressed with the athleticism and genetics associated with football though.
    Last edited by thejumpa; 04-22-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Local High School Star Geandily's Avatar

This is the dumbest discussion I have read on these forums (hyperbole)

NBA players would be snapped in half if they tried to play in the NFL.

NFL players would be exhausted by the second quarter if they tried to play in the NBA.

Different athletes trained for different sports there is no better or worse, jesus christ was that so hard? WOW this is a dumb thread

Luchini from the sky TheAnchorman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geandily
    This is the dumbest discussion I have read on these forums (hyperbole)

NBA players would be snapped in half if they tried to play in the NFL.

NFL players would be exhausted by the second quarter if they tried to play in the NBA.

Different athletes trained for different sports there is no better or worse, jesus christ was that so hard? WOW this is a dumb thread
    Unless you're Lebron James?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnchorman
    LOL true, and he would be the tallest guy on the feild most of the time if not all of it. Plus if he was a football player I am sure that he would have been more genetically prepared for football instead of basketball (e.g how his muscles would have adapted).

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    Thing about this is that NFL players are on the feild for halfish of the game where as NBa players would be on the court for 35+. Therefore they would be trained differently. A football player is built for power and built for short stints of PT where as basketball players are built for endurance and doing the smae motion over and over. Basketball is unlike any other sport really. Basketball can be considered an endurance sport and a power sport where as football is simply power. A player needs to have the stamina to do the same thing for 30 minutes a night, but a football player only needs to be able to do the same motion for maybe 5 minutes at a time. Basketball there is less breaks in play then in football which has one after every play.

Basketball is a harder sport to play then football because you need to be in good shape powerfully and endurance wise.
    Good points, but football players are on the field less b/c they physically cannot stay on the field longer, not b/c its easier and they like taking breaks. The only reason basketball players are on the floor longer is b/c the sport is physically less intense.

A game of full-court basketball is hard as F*CK, but I GUARANTEE you will be more tired after a game of football than a game of basketball, even with the breaks. Wonder why a WORLD CLASS OLYMPIC wrestling match is only 5-6 minutes long? B/c of the physical intensity. It's definitely not b/c they are worse athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    You forgot sprinting with parachutes though. This is just how it is. The training makes them who they are, but the majority of their vert comes from isometric leg strength, cores, and shoulers.
    Yeah mane, those are torture, I've gotten the worst cramps of my life with parachutes. Oh yeah, I also forgot running while dragging a sleigh with weights on it.

Love me or Hate me Unreal Skill's Avatar

How do Rudy Fernandez expect to win the slam dunk contest with 26 in vert and 35 in max vert...

I'm shocked how weak his no step vert is. Only 26 in...damn

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal Skill
    How do Rudy Fernandez expect to win the slam dunk contest with 26 in vert and 35 in max vert...

I'm shocked how weak his no step vert is. Only 26 in...damn
    You need strong legs to do a no step vertical. Rudy has tiny legs, but great plyometrics, that is why his 35.5 max vert isn't too shabby. .it's the same as Dwight Howards.

Andre Iguodala's max vert is only 34.5 and he did well in the slam dunk..

Dwayne Wade's is 35 and so is Amar'e Stoudemire's.

what I think is more surprising is that he has one of the top ten fastest lane agility drills ever.. I wonder how that is measured.

National High School Star

All around athleticism? No it's because most of them don't have the HEIGHT/skill.
    The average NBA player is 6'7 & I have rarely seen 6'6 /6'7 DB's/RB/ in the NFL.

NFL DB's/Wr's/Rb's/LB's & even some defensive ends like Jevon Kearse would run circles around gangly/awkward(not all of them)NBA players.

Champ Bailey/Terrell Owens/ Cromarte(Chargers) would run circles around any NBA player in any test of speed,strength,explosiveness,leaping ability,agility,etc..... & it wouldn't be that close.

Height is the only physical advantage an NBA player has(& his skills).
    Last edited by 32jazz; 04-24-2009 at 12:06 PM.

This whole thread is stupid because NBA and NFL players are completely different types of athletes. First of all, NBA players are much taller than your average NFL player -- this alone makes the whole argument invalid. You should also take into consideration the fact that NBA players need the endurance to run up and down the court for 40+ minutes. Second, the No-Step vertical is very favorable to NFL players because they are weight lifters. NBA players generally jump after taking at least 2 steps.

To say that NFL players like Owens, Bailey, or Moss, would run circles around NBA players such as LeBron James, Vince Carter, or Nate Robinson is absolutely ludicrous.
    Last edited by Revelation; 04-24-2009 at 12:43 PM.