Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: I Just Noticed Something About The Super Hyped Career Of Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Uhh yeah, he was. News flash. Him and Payton, who was a PG. No one else had the overall defensive impact Jordan did. Eddie Jones was good at man D but had nowhere near the help/team D of Jordan, and wasn't better than him at man D anyway until at least '98, if ever. Try again, kiddo.
    I thought he lost a step after that. Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmS8...eature=related Did he even guard the opposing team's best player consistently? Anyway shouldn't have brought him up, I forgot how defensive you guys get at the mention of his name By the way, I think MJ's defense is miles ahead of Kobe...just saying, Kobe's not the only one who gets selected to these all-defensive first teams due to reputation.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: I Just Noticed Something About The Super Hyped Career Of Kobe Bryant

How many times do you people have this same tired out conversation on this board? This seems to occur every week, every other day around here.

I mean its the SAME CONVERSATION, OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN.

Sure, the thread point is slightly different, but its always about Kobe....and then it deteriorates into this....EVERYTIME.

Dammit.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Many people have wondered why Kobe ever made the all defense team.

Many also have mentioned how grossly overrated he is on defense.

I understand that stats don't tell the entire story when it comes to defense, but he's been either great or garbage which imo equates to inconsistency.

Many players have scored either season highs or career highs on him.

No name and role players have lit him up his entire career.

The coaching staff has criticized him on his defense.

Phil has even pulled him out of games in some occasions due to his mistakes.

I have always gave him credit for playing good to great denial defense, but that's where it begins and ends.

And nothing holds more truth than "When he wants to" when referring to Kobe. And even then, there's many times that "when he wants to" play defense he gets beat do to his aggressiveness.

Oh well.
    I see you know your ish, cause I been saying that for years, Kobe has amazing ball denial defense, he bodies you and stays in your grill forcing players to catch the ball far on the perimeter, but he gets torched off the dribble, and it happends a lot. Truley, all 3 of them get beaten off the dribble often, you cant touch nobody on the perimeter, that definitley works against all 3.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    How many times do you people have this same tired out conversation on this board? This seems to occur every week, every other day around here.

I mean its the SAME CONVERSATION, OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN.

Sure, the thread point is slightly different, but its always about Kobe....and then it deteriorates into this....EVERYTIME.

Dammit.
    IDK where these other conversations came from, but my thread pointed out some some big time stuff that would matter to the average basketball fan or a person on an analyst level, rather it matters to you or not I dont give a damn about, feel me. You seen the thread, try not clicking on the next Kobe, Wade, or Bron thread and I gurantee you will not have this reoccuring problem again bruh.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    I thought he lost a step after that. Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmS8...eature=related Did he even guard the opposing team's best player consistently? Anyway shouldn't have brought him up, I forgot how defensive you guys get at the mention of his name By the way, I think MJ's defense is miles ahead of Kobe...just saying, Kobe's not the only one who gets selected to these all-defensive first teams due to reputation.
    What am I supposed to see there? A 23 year old, 5'11" player who is possibly the quickest player in history carrying the ball flagrantly, and Jordan recovering to nearly block the shot at age 34? News flash: no SG defender guarded Iverson consistently.

And he guarded opposing SG's/combo guards and occasionally PG's. So if the "best player" was one of those, he probably guarded them.

And again, Jordan had the largest defensive impact on games of any guard in the league aside from Payton until his retirement in 1998. He also had a larger defensive impact on games in 1998 at age 35 than Kobe did in 2007 and 2008. Go watch the Bulls/Pacers series for evidence. So no, none of Jordan's selections were based on his rep. Some of Kobe's have been, as there have been more impactful defenders who could have been selected.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

What am I supposed to see there? A 23 year old, 5'11" player who is possibly the quickest player in history carrying the ball flagrantly, and Jordan recovering to nearly block the shot at age 34? News flash: no SG defender guarded Iverson consistently.

And he guarded opposing SG's/combo guards and occasionally PG's. So if the "best player" was one of those, he probably guarded them.

And again, Jordan had the largest defensive impact on games of any guard in the league aside from Payton until his retirement in 1998. He also had a larger defensive impact on games in 1998 at age 35 than Kobe did in 2007 and 2008. Go watch the Bulls/Pacers series for evidence. So no, none of Jordan's selections were based on his rep. Some of Kobe's have been, as there have been more impactful defenders who could have been selected.
    Yep. First of all, Iverson crossed over pretty much everyone in the league, and he dropped 30 or more on everyone, too, but he wasn't always very efficient doing it. Also, Jordan actually wasn't overrated as a defender; if you look at his defensive win share, it was consistently near the top of the league for his position, and always higher than Kobe's. By the way, Wade's defensive win share is also higher than Kobe's this year.

Actually, it's the truth. Go watch some games.
    do not EVER tell me what to do.

NBA rookie of the year

For the record, I don't put much stock in defensive win shares or DRtg as a metric (in contrast to ORtg and OWS, which have fewer issues).

I rule the local playground GMW's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdogg
    Are yall aware that Kobe has never had 1, thats right, the number 1, Kobe has never had 1 season in his 13 year career averaging more blocks, steals, assists, or FG% than Dwayne Wade HAS AVERAGED FOR HIS ****IN CAREER.
    The OP is making false claims.

Wade career stats: 0.9 blocks 1.8 steals
    Kobe: 98/99: 1bpg, 99/00: 0.9bpg 02/03: 2.2 spg, 05/06 & 07/08: 1.8 spg

Lets also not forget that Kobe has averaged more points, rebounds, less turnovers and a better FT & 3pt% than Wade in every season since Wade has been in the league. Only this season Wade is on pace to score more ppg than Kobe.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by detroitdogg
    Are yall aware that Kobe has never had 1, thats right, the number 1, Kobe has never had 1 season in his 13 year career averaging more blocks, steals, assists, or FG% than Dwayne Wade HAS AVERAGED FOR HIS ****IN CAREER. That means that in 13 seasons, he has not once done what Dwayne Wade has done numerous times in his short career.
    Why do you make an incorrect statement like this?

Kobe was not a starter early in is career.

"Anyone who judges the levels of basketball players by statisics is a fool and isn't a real basketball fan.You have to watch the game to see where amazing relly happends"
    All 3 players are spectacular right now i personally think it's

1a.Kobe
    1b.Lebron
    1c.Wade

But that's my oppinion, im not gonna go make a thread to bash one of them just to make my canditate look better. Stop bashing and be a real basketball fan and just enjoy what they do.
    Last edited by Yung D-Will; 03-23-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Banned

Yeah i agree with the post above... I think Kobe showed he was the premier swingman and shooting guard of the last probably decade and i still think he has the best all round game (IMO) regardless of what statistics show.

However i'm not going to make topics trying to make wade and lebron look bad because I'm sure one of them will soon establish themselves as the premier swingman of the next 10years

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

who gives a **** wade is wade bryant is bryant if you dont like one of them dont watch them i however will watch both and try grasp as much as possible because in 10 years ill be saying damn these guys just cant play like wade kobe bron and blah blah