Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: I can't stand Shaq's ego

Quote Originally Posted by dwermlakers24
    yea..i think this is just a little spurt of great basketball for him...i see him cooling off before the playoffs start
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    If shaq wants to keep the superman title, he needs to play much better. He's been playing good lately, but he needs to play great.
    In 52 games Shaq is averaging:

18 points 9 rebounds 1.5 blocks on 61% FG in 30 minutes.

He's been this good all year, all that happened was his touches went up due to Amar'e's and Nash's injuries and the increased pace.

Shaq has been playing great basketball since the start of the season. The fact that he's playing better than ever at game 60 is a sign that he is probably not going to cool off. You could be right though. I just get tired of people calling this a recent "comeback" when Shaq has been playing this way all season. If anything you could call this a Suns comeback, not a Shaq comeback.

All the Suns need is for the Spurs to beat the Mavericks next game and they can do the rest themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikaiel
    He's right though.

It's Dwight who's f*cking annoying. He's like a carbon copy of Shaq, without the game to back it up. I mean, the Superman stuff, looking at his left hand when he makes a left-handed shot, even trying to take a guard off the dribble in the ASG, it's all Shaq. Grow up and be your own person Dwight, we don't need another Shaq. Shaq was/is awesome but you're not him.

But that Superman stuff is really annoying. There was already a Superman in this league and Dwight is nowhere near him and will probably never be ...

It's about time kids realize just how many things these modern start straight jack up from the players that were around or still are.

Superman, chalk, 23, Nate's "Spud" dunk...I could go on...

Kids have no imagination these days and it sucks.

etc etc

Stop it and get your own things goin. SMH.

Oh and Smokee,

Shaq has all the physical gifts, but he also is extremely skilled. He's lost a lot of his athletic ability, yet he's still scoring at a higher rate than any center in the league.

I've watched every game this season and I can tell you Shaq's hook shot has been nice, his turn around floater (or whatever you want to call it) has been on fire, his spin move (sometimes an uncalled foul, bet meh) has been working. Heck he's been straight up beating centers with his agility lately. He'll spin baseline and use his ridiculously fluid first step to beat almost any center in the league.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    First of all, Shaq isn't just about dunking cause he's so big. He does have a post game, is a great rebounder, great man defender, great passer, etc. Alot of that is not 100% due to size. I see what you're saying but the reason that type of thinking is unfair is cause if you're going to penalize one player for his size, you should do that for everyone, which is almost every NBA player. For example, is Lebron James going to be just as great if he was a foot shorter? No, he probably wouldn't even be in the league. Now I know thats not exactly what you're saying, but Lebron's "game" might not even be noticed if they had different physical attributes.

What did Shaq have? His post game was definitely less polished than it is now. He can't shoot free throws. He has no short jumper or even a jumper at all, really. I mean i guess he can occasionally hit a bank when he's close to the glass leaning in, but i really wouldn't consider that him being a shooter at all. He had post moves but not anything that was very impressive imo. He was a capable passer out of the post i guess but thats not very difficult. I just know Shaq scored a lot of his baskets back then due mostly to size in the paint. Where he would catch the ball down low, and just dunk or lay it up where he just physically outmatched the competition.

Comparing him to Lebron is crazy. Lebron has all around game. He can shoot the 3, shoot midrange, drive, dish, etc. Lebron is like the opposite of Shaq. Lebron would've been good even if he was 100lbs lighter. Maybe not as great but he would've been at least good with the skills he possesses that aren't exactly based on his size.

Shaq was just way more 1 dimensional than people want to remember him for imo. Don't get me wrong i think his game, especially his post game, has improved significantly since then, but its had to because he isn't as physically dominating as he used to be.

Shaq in his prime is like Mike Tyson in his prime in the respect that everyone was scared of them. It wasn't Shaq's 'skills' or 'game' more than him just being this huge dominating figure in the paint that nobody wanted or could stand in front of.

I just don't buy the reinventing history that a lot of people here tend to do, that pretend Shaq had all of this 'game' when he really didn't imo

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    First of all, Shaq isn't just about dunking cause he's so big. He does have a post game, is a great rebounder, great man defender, great passer, etc. Alot of that is not 100% due to size. I see what you're saying but the reason that type of thinking is unfair is cause if you're going to penalize one player for his size, you should do that for everyone, which is almost every NBA player. For example, is Lebron James going to be just as great if he was a foot shorter? No, he probably wouldn't even be in the league. Now I know thats not exactly what you're saying, but Lebron's "game" might not even be noticed if they had different physical attributes.
    the thing i wonder about is.. if you take a look at james and shaq for example, theres alot of other players in the past who have been blessed with physical attributes similar to theirs but didnt even come close to doing what james and shaq have done.. so you cant really look down on their accomplishments just cause they were lucky to be born tall, big, and strong.. that saying, if i was a 7 footer, i think id easily make first overall pick in the draft.. but im not

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A Roc 23
    Oh and Smokee,

Shaq has all the physical gifts, but he also is extremely skilled. He's lost a lot of his athletic ability, yet he's still scoring at a higher rate than any center in the league.

I've watched every game this season and I can tell you Shaq's hook shot has been nice, his turn around floater (or whatever you want to call it) has been on fire, his spin move (sometimes an uncalled foul, bet meh) has been working. Heck he's been straight up beating centers with his agility lately. He'll spin baseline and use his ridiculously fluid first step to beat almost any center in the league.

i'm not denying he has more post game now. He had it with the Heat. But i just don't think he was nearly as polished with it when he was dominating with the Lakers. I said this in my first post i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    Lebron would've been good even if he was 100lbs lighter. Maybe not as great but he would've been at least good with the skills he possesses that aren't exactly based on his size.
    I guess they're right when they say that love is blind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Riker
    I guess they're right when they say that love is blind.

I tend to ignore haters who just hate on players to hate but i thought i'd at least tell you this

Some stats of some great centers on the season they were 36/37 years old :

Hakeem : 10.3 points, 45.8 FG%, 6.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.59 blocks

Dadid Robinson : 12.2 points, 50.7 FG%, 8.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.79 blocks

Ewing : 17.3 points, 43.5 FG%; 9.9 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 2.6 blocks

Shaq : 18.1 points, 60.6 FG%, 8.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.5 blocks

Not bad for a guy who's not skilled and is only successful because he has a big body

I wasn't hating nobody.

Saying James would be this good with 170 pounds is a blatant lie.

Saying he doesn't rely a lot on his weight/strength is also a lie.

On topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mONrcP2NKRc

Banned

He's right though.

It's Dwight who's f*cking annoying. He's like a carbon copy of Shaq, without the game to back it up. I mean, the Superman stuff, looking at his left hand when he makes a left-handed shot, even trying to take a guard off the dribble in the ASG, it's all Shaq. Grow up and be your own person Dwight, we don't need another Shaq. Shaq was/is awesome but you're not him.

But that Superman stuff is really annoying. There was already a Superman in this league and Dwight is nowhere near him and will probably never be ...
    you idiot he is different, hes been in the dunk contest and thats where he made his own image

a big man trying to take a guard off the dribble in the ASG is copying shaq? so i guess dirk is copying shaq

a big man who dominates in the low post because hes physically bigger than alot of the competition, i guess howards copying shaq and i guess shaqs copying wilt, boo hoo cry me a river its basketball

dwights not the only player to look at his left hand after making a shot,, ive seen wade and vc do it to name a few

alot of people want to make the comparisons, i dont hear dwight running around like im the next shaq, im the closest thing to shaq. the media takes care of that.

so just relax, you sound butt hurt over the whole ordeal, are you related to shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    What did Shaq have? His post game was definitely less polished than it is now. He can't shoot free throws. He has no short jumper or even a jumper at all, really. I mean i guess he can occasionally hit a bank when he's close to the glass leaning in, but i really wouldn't consider that him being a shooter at all. He had post moves but not anything that was very impressive imo. He was a capable passer out of the post i guess but thats not very difficult. I just know Shaq scored a lot of his baskets back then due mostly to size in the paint. Where he would catch the ball down low, and just dunk or lay it up where he just physically outmatched the competition.

Comparing him to Lebron is crazy. Lebron has all around game. He can shoot the 3, shoot midrange, drive, dish, etc. Lebron is like the opposite of Shaq. Lebron would've been good even if he was 100lbs lighter. Maybe not as great but he would've been at least good with the skills he possesses that aren't exactly based on his size.

Shaq was just way more 1 dimensional than people want to remember him for imo. Don't get me wrong i think his game, especially his post game, has improved significantly since then, but its had to because he isn't as physically dominating as he used to be.

Shaq in his prime is like Mike Tyson in his prime in the respect that everyone was scared of them. It wasn't Shaq's 'skills' or 'game' more than him just being this huge dominating figure in the paint that nobody wanted or could stand in front of.

I just don't buy the reinventing history that a lot of people here tend to do, that pretend Shaq had all of this 'game' when he really didn't imo
    IMO, james doesnt even come close in being the best in shooting 3s, midrange, driving, dishing, etc.. i think what makes him great is him being blessed with incredible size and strength, combined with his speed and being brought up as a point guard really benefited him.. his skills is mediocre compared to nba standards, but the fact that hes a big guy and at the same time can move like a guard is IT.. i mean imagine someone with iverson's skills whos 260lbs and 6'8.. that would be a nightmare..

Quote Originally Posted by halffttime
    his skills is mediocre compared to nba standards
    O-oh!

Some stats of some great centers on the season they were 36/37 years old :

Hakeem : 10.3 points, 45.8 FG%, 6.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 1.59 blocks

Dadid Robinson : 12.2 points, 50.7 FG%, 8.3 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.79 blocks

Ewing : 17.3 points, 43.5 FG%; 9.9 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 2.6 blocks

Shaq : 18.1 points, 60.6 FG%, 8.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.5 blocks

Not bad for a guy who's not skilled and is only successful because he has a big body
    Not to mention:

Ewing played 34 minutes and took 15 shots per game.

Shaq plays 30 minutes and takes 11 shots per game.

Hell Shaq plays the same number of minutes Robinson played and only takes 2 more shots, yet he's scoring 6 more points.