Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe tied MJ for the most career game winning shots at 26

By the end of Kobe's career he will have had more game winning shots than Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ81
    I didn't make these lists.

Can't you just accept it as an impressive achievement? Always have to pick holes in anything good Kobe does.
    Because you're trying to make the argument that Kobe is the better player than MJ. Kobe isn't half the player MJ was. They're not even in the same league.

Intelligent fan

MJ groupies are so pathetic. Just admit when another player surpasses or ties him, look at that list, MJ's game winners consists of free throws. Kind of lame. Why bring up the finals? Move on and admit that Kobe will surpass him soon enough. He retired, get off his d!ck you lames.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

There was a list showing Kobe with 27 like 3 years ago. And one with Jordan in the low 30s. I remember Loki and I remembering several not on the list then(some of them pretty well known) and wondering how many they forgot.

First of all, not all of Kobe's 26 game-winning shots were real game-winners. A few of them were just crucial baskets which put his team ahead for good. Second, no-one has ever said that 26 is the all-time leading number. How many did Bird have? Reggie? Jerry West? As long as no-one has provided the all-time data, this will remain an extremely unofficial record.
    I clearly remember in the 98 playoffs after Reggie made that 3 to win it vs the Bulls they said it was his 14th go ahead shot with a minute or less to go...that season. Not exactly 14th game winner but Reggie was making clutch shots every week or two for 18 years. Id be suprised if he didnt have at least 20 game winners.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    MJ groupies are so pathetic. Just admit when another player surpasses or ties him, look at that list, MJ's game winners consists of free throws. Kind of lame. Why bring up the finals? Move on and admit that Kobe will surpass him soon enough. He retired, get off his d!ck you lames.
    Kobe groupies are pathetic. Always trying to make Kobe into a player he is not. Just accept him for who he is, one of NBA's greatest players. He's not there on Birds, JOrdans, Shaq's, or Magic's level just yet. Like i said again, if you're going to bring NUMBERS and FACTS to the table at least USE a reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL
    Because you're trying to make the argument that Kobe is the better player than MJ. Kobe isn't half the player MJ was. They're not even in the same league.
    so the entire league is trash?

Good college starter Noob Saibot's Avatar

This can't be another thread that says Kobe>MJ. MJ's game winners are way more memorable than Kobe's i bet.

It's this very image of drones that repel Kobe to general public.

If only you knew to appreciate your favorite player, instead you're just using him for compensating your Jordan hatred, pathetic...

impressive statistic. it says alot about Kobe's ability to finish in the clutch. He's always amazed me on that particular feat of his

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

maybe my criteria is too strict, but my definition, or at least when i think of game winners, i think of fisher on spurs or jordan over ehlo.

but apparently game winners are loosely defined.

something like this scenario:

Player A scores with the game tied with 40 seconds to go to put Team A up 2.
    Team B then misses a shot.
    Team A then misses a shot again.
    Team B then turns the ball over. intentionally fouls. clock runs out.

Guess Player A's shot would be called a game winner, but I would never think of it as such.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    maybe my criteria is too strict, but my definition, or at least when i think of game winners, i think of fisher on spurs or jordan over ehlo.

Guess Player A's shot would be called a game winner, but I would never think of it as such.
    so what would u call it?

Got a question for you. Who else would you put in MJ's league (or same breath as MJ) if you don't put Kobe in there?

I am not asking you to admit that Kobe is better than Jordan because he clearly isn't, but I honestly believe that Kobe has to be put in the same breath as Jordan as other top few perimeter players (this category does NOT include centers and PF's). I would put these perimeter players in the same breath as Jordan: Bird, Magic, Oscar, Kobe, Isiah, Stockton (not in any kind of order). LeBron/Wade will probably be in there eventually as well. Still, at this point Kobe is the 2nd best SG to play in nba history after Jordan.

BTW - I think that gamewinners should include shots ONLY in the last 10 second frame, NOT more than that. Freethrows should not be included since the clock is not running(hence the FREE-throws) and shots BEFORE the last 10 seconds should count as clutch but NOT gamewinners. In my book, there is a difference between hitting really clutch shots and hitting game winners, and this is how I would define a gamewinner as in my book.
    Last edited by bladefd; 01-10-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Originally Posted by EricForman

My personal definition of a winning shot is when someone scores the point to give the final lead to his team and the score doesn't change after that (the only exception is if someone has to sink only 1 or 2 free throws to win it and he sinks 2 or 3-all in the same possession, of course). It doesn't have to be a buzzer-beater or within the X final seconds. So, in this example, if the player of Team A misses his final free throws, I'd still count the last basket as a winning one. If he made one, I wouldn't.

When did I say that Kobe was a better player than Jordan?

Why do you have to get all defensive everytime Kobe does anything good?

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    impressive statistic. it says alot about Kobe's ability to finish in the clutch. He's always amazed me on that particular feat of his
    I'm glad some people can accept it for what it is and not take it as an attack on MJ.