Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    Common-sense Cavs Fan

Default Re: early cavs and wiz game no idea gt

Travel or no travel, it doesn't change the fact that they lost.

The Cavs haven't been looking good their last 4-5 games. Z's injury hurts, I'd rather have anyone other than Z go down after LeBron, he's the 2nd most important player on the Cavs and has been for a long time.

Every good team needs to lose games and receive a "Reality Check". The Cavs have received a few over the past 4 weeks.

Eventually they will get things back on track, and they need to with this tough schedule coming up.

Of course I want the Cavs 2 finish first in the East and have LeBron win the MVP, but I'd rather see them be tested and fully prepared come playoff time.

The Cavs are being exposed. They need more than what they have, and they can get some nice help with the Wally expiring added with a 1st rounder or 2.

If they are thinking of making a deal they need to make it soon, so they can get whoever they receive acclimated to the team and develop some chemistry.

I just want every game they lose to be a close one, down to the wire, which all 6 loses pretty much have been close losses.

The Wiz are a team that can win any given game, they aren't as bad as the other teams with similar records.

Good win by the Wiz. Cavs need to step it up, teammates need to help.
    Last edited by Cavs2007Champs; 01-05-2009 at 07:57 AM.

This is why they need Gil - Caron and Atawn's testicles shrink anytime something that resembles a clutch play occurs. Jamison is the leader of the Wizards, in the locker room and off the court. But on the court, in the 4th, it's Arenas' team hands down.

That was a travel from Bron. The extra little mini step was hardly an advantage to him, but rulez iz rulez.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    That's not a travel. He dribbles - step - one-two-stop. Perfectly legal play
    When you perform a jump stop, you have to land with two feet. He landed on one foot and then the other. That's how he was able to execute the split and travel so much distance in the process.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    When you perform a jump stop, you have to land with two feet. He landed on one foot and then the other. That's how he was able to execute the split and travel so much distance in the process.
    wrong. You can do a 1-contact stop, or a 2-contact stop. Both is legal. Anyone who has played BBall on a decent level should know this

The Holy Trinity

wrong. You can do a 1-contact stop, or a 2-contact stop. Both is legal. Anyone who has played BBall on a decent level should know this
    I expanded on my explanation in the other thread. You can get away with landing one-then-the-other if the second one comes down a split second after the first. You can NOT do the hop-skip thing that LeBron did and call it a jump stop. If you do, it counts as two steps, and if you've already taken one, then it's a walk.

rank sentamentalist

The rule doesn't change whether you're making a hopstep or simply taking your two steps fellas. Either way, that's all you're allowed to take. When a player executes a hopstep, they jump off the last foot they had planted at the end of their last dribble, land on two feet (at the same time or one shortly after the other - it really makes no difference), and then they have to go up. If you take an extra step after the hopstep or before the hopstep (meaning after your last dribble), then it's a travel. Because that's three steps. A hopstep just allows you to travel a little further then a simple two steps would. There's no differentiation in the rulebook between either play, because they're essentially the same thing. Taking two steps. Just by using a slightly different method.

Lets GO PENS!

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    The rule doesn't change whether you're making a hopstep or simply taking your two steps fellas. Either way, that's all you're allowed to take. When a player executes a hopstep, they jump off the last foot they had planted at the end of their last dribble, land on two feet (at the same time or one shortly after the other - it really makes no difference), and then they have to go up. If you take an extra step after the hopstep or before the hopstep (meaning after your last dribble), then it's a travel. Because that's three steps. A hopstep just allows you to travel a little further then a simple two steps would. There's no differentiation in the rulebook between either play, because they're essentially the same thing. Taking two steps. Just by using a slightly different method.
    you sure? because I've seen dribble-pick up the ball 1 step into-hop step-shot more times to count

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    you sure? because I've seen dribble-pick up the ball 1 step into-hop step-shot more times to count
    You can't take an extra step before you go into the hopstep - it's just a difficult play to call because you have to figure out when the dribble is picked up. Mistakes are made all the time I'm sure, but as far as I know, the rulebook calls it the same as simply taking two steps. Why should the hopstep have it's own rule, all it is is taking two steps at the same time. The two steps are still the same.

College star

yep, I was wrong in this thread. You can't take a step before the hop step, but you can move your non-pivot foot after you've taken the hop step, effectively allowing you a third step

The Holy Trinity

yep, I was wrong in this thread. You can't take a step before the hop step, but you can move your non-pivot foot after you've taken the hop step, effectively allowing you a third step
    If you can do that it's only in the NBA. I got called for doing what you described in a rec league once. I drove between two defenders and passed the ball around my back before landing on the jump stop in order to split them. Then in the same continuous motion I took one pivot step and took off and laid it up. It was a sweet move and it pissed me off that they called me on it. But, I'm also pretty sure it was the the right call.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by jrong
    If you can do that it's only in the NBA. I got called for doing what you described in a rec league once. I drove between two defenders and passed the ball around my back before landing on the jump stop in order to split them. Then in the same continuous motion I took one pivot step and took off and laid it up. It was a sweet move and it pissed me off that they called me on it. But, I'm also pretty sure it was the the right call.

If you don't move your pivot foot before you jump it's alright. Just a normal pivot step, you can do as much of them as you want.

Finally the refs called travel on LeBron. The refs had to call that cuz it was so obvious.