Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Intelligent fan

Default Re: Kobe Bryant is he overrated or underrated all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel J
    Just like Gasol won Kobe the MVP? You better thank Memphis/Jerry West for Kobe's MVP post-Shaq era Kobe w/o Gasol = 2nd round virgin
    Let's thank Jerry for doing nothing. He wasn't even the GM at that time clown. Kobe haters always getting their facts wrong.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by nbastatus
    yes, kobe is overrated, especially in LA.
    and i hate it...
    of course but that doesn't count. Those are special people. He is rated just correctly by most normal basketball fans. Anywhere from #13 -#17 all time when you include career accomplishment, ability, and rings. If he would have played well and actually won in 2004 & 2008 he would likely be between #8 -#11.
    Last edited by Scott Pippen; 01-03-2009 at 04:13 PM.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    Let's thank Jerry for doing nothing. He wasn't even the GM at that time clown. Kobe haters always getting their facts wrong.
    I don't have any "facts" wrong. I was refering to the fact that many feel that he had something to do with it behind the scenes you clown

http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/02/09/j...e-gasol-trade/

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Quote Originally Posted by Corky McBiff
    Almost EVERY player is viewed as either overrated or underrated. It's a matter of opinion.

My short overrated list:

Russell
    Jordan
    West
    Shaq
    Cousy
    Worthy
    Kidd
    Walton
    Duncan
    Ewing

My short underrated list:

Kareem
    Bird
    Magic
    Stockton
    King
    Pippen
    Wilt
    Baylor
    McHale
    Isiah

Kobe a little overrated overall. I think this is mostly because he played his whole career with a really popular team (Lakers), and he does have 3 rings.

However, he's still a great player, and the people who attempt to 'dis' Kobe (haters) by making comparisons to MJ are just as bad as the people who think Kobe is as good as MJ (homers).

Saw a basketball once

i think he's overrated by kobe fanboys and underrated because people hate him. can we really answer this question right now? i think we should wait until his career is over.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    regular fans know hes just an average player in NBA history. drexler like
    Kobe's an all-time great. If Kobe's average, I don't know what to say about guys like Nash, Kidd etc. Kobe has achieved more than what Drexler did and he's a bit more talented than him. I rank him higher than Drexler (around top 15 all-time).

But only a moron would think he's on Jordan's level.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Best post on this thread!

Other than fools in the mainstream media, nobody compares Kobe to Jordan. That includes Laker fans, Kobe fans, and Kobe himself...we don't consider him to be on Jordan's level so how could he possibly be overrated?
    You've got to be kidding me. Maybe its the mainstream that initially started the comparisons, but to say that many Laker/Kobe fans don't compare him to Jordan, and some even think he's better then Jordan, is ridiculous. Sure, the comparisons are almost non-existant now after what happened in last year's Finals, but they were definitely made by many Laker/Kobe fans.

Anyway, like many have said, he's overrated by many and underrated by many.

He's overrated when people compare him to the likes of Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Shaq, etc. He's overrated when people say that Kobe is the hands down best player in the league and it shouldn't even be an argument, even though a case could be made for Lebron, Wade, Duncan, CP3, etc.

He's underrated when people say he's not even top 30 all-time. I'd say he's top 15, maybe top 20. He's underrated when people think its a joke to compare him to the likes of Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, or Julius Erving (NBA), even though he's basically accomplished just as much or more then them.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Corky McBiff
    Almost EVERY player is viewed as either overrated or underrated. It's a matter of opinion.

My short overrated list:

Russell
    Jordan
    West
    Shaq
    Cousy
    Worthy
    Kidd
    Walton
    Duncan
    Ewing

My short underrated list:

Kareem
    Bird
    Magic
    Stockton
    King
    Pippen
    Wilt
    Baylor
    McHale
    Isiah
    LeBron James
    this goes to show you how much he loves LeBron James

Look, any rational thinking NBA fan who is not a part of the Kobe Hype Machine realizes he's overrated. Anytime you compare him to Jordan, when he's failed to live up to Jordan by a wide margin, then he has to be overrated. He's scored 81 points and had a couple of scoring steaks, plays a similar game and that's the bulk of why he's compared to Jordan. When you examine playoff performances (specifically Finals), best seasons, defense all of it Kobe just doesn't come up short, but he does so by a significant margin.

Then when you have people touting him as the best player in the game and I don't even want to hear an argument about it, then that's overrating him as well because he's never been the undisputed best player in the league. You can say he may have had a CASE but to pretend that it's not even worthy of discussion to suggest otherwise, is to overrate him.

Kobe's obviously had a lot of high points in his career, however he's come up short on a lot of important occassions as well. That's something that is generally ignored when certain arguments are made for his greatness.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    You've got to be kidding me. Maybe its the mainstream that initially started the comparisons, but to say that many Laker/Kobe fans don't compare him to Jordan, and some even think he's better then Jordan, is ridiculous. Sure, the comparisons are almost non-existant now after what happened in last year's Finals, but they were definitely made by many Laker/Kobe fans.

Anyway, like many have said, he's overrated by many and underrated by many.

He's overrated when people compare him to the likes of Jordan, Magic, Bird, Wilt, Shaq, etc. He's overrated when people say that Kobe is the hands down best player in the league and it shouldn't even be an argument, even though a case could be made for Lebron, Wade, Duncan, CP3, etc.

He's underrated when people say he's not even top 30 all-time. I'd say he's top 15, maybe top 20. He's underrated when people think its a joke to compare him to the likes of Jerry West, Oscar Robertson, or Julius Erving (NBA), even though he's basically accomplished just as much or more then them.
    Right but every NBA player has their share of delusional fans who like to think that their idol is comparable to Jordan

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAShow24
    Be Truthful here.

I love Kobe, but I think all time he is overrated. I don't think he is in that upper echelon of players of the top 10 until he can prove that he can win as the best player on the team first. Anyone can win when they have the best player on the team and in the league on it which is how Kobe won his titles early on.
    no not anyone.
    He's overrated when he's compared to jordan. Underrated when saying he's not best in the league right now

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono90
    no not anyone.
    He's overrated when he's compared to jordan. Underrated when saying he's not best in the league right now
    Dwayne Wade
    Chris Paul
    LeBron James

They are all better than Kobe Bryant this season...

National High School Star gpfanz's Avatar

Yes. Severely overated

He's right where basketball-reference.com put him, right around #13 all-time. Their formula for HOF probability is very accurate.

At the current moment, he's underrated in my opinion or better yet, under appreciated. He's still a top player in the league but he's starting to fall into the Tim Duncan level where he puts up his normal great numbers and wins without getting noticed.
    Last edited by KenneBell; 01-03-2009 at 11:27 PM.