Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: vince carter to ref: "Don't call me boy"

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Ok well STFU and stay the f uck out of it. If really want to know, go sit down and have a straight talk with a black person, and stay the f uck out of here with your pompous attitude, boy.
    This is the part where you tell me I wouldn't understand because I'm white.

Hey Pot.

All those years as a slave made you bitter I guess. Oh... wait...

Mathius

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Whats the racist meaning of 'boy'?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I don't know, but as a white person I still can't fathom why a black man is still going to take offense to being called "boy" in this day and age.
    There are situations where calling anyone boy repeatedly is gonna cause someone to take offense. Thats because there are times when it is meant to do that. If Im a cop pull your family over and refer to you as boy would that cause you as a white man to take offense. And before you answer be honest, I didnt say cause you to act, but to take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Odomize
    Whats the racist meaning of 'boy'?

Just a guess, but I believe white people used the word "boy" as a demeaning term for black people during Slavery and after.

Calling someone "boy" is seen as referring to them as your subordinate.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    There are situations where calling anyone boy repeatedly is gonna cause someone to take offense. Thats because there are times when it is meant to do that. If Im a cop pull your family over and refer to you as boy would that cause you as a white man to take offense. And before you answer be honest, I didnt say cause you to act, but to take offense.
    I take offense to a lot of things, but I'm a mature adult, and I know that by getting upset over these things, they're just giving satisfaction to the person doing/saying/using them.

I can choose to respond or not.

If the stakes are low, like mud slinging on a message board, then who gives a f*ck?

If the stakes are like say, getting ejected, possibly fined by the league, and physically restrained by teammates, then there's a pretty good chance you're better off just shutting your mouth and going on about your business.

You can't tell me the NBA league offices don't have some kind of proper channel to go through for something like this to have the ref called into account. Instead we have to act like a 3 year old and get ejected for a tantrum?

And lets say I'm wrong. Lets says the NBA has no intention of controlling their refs behavior in any way, and complaining to the league offices wouldn't do VC a lick of good. Then it's a lose lose situation, so there's still no reason to blow up over it.

Mathius
    Last edited by Mathius; 01-01-2009 at 05:53 PM.

Whoa...I didn't know 'boy' was a racist term.

I take offense to a lot of things, but I'm a mature adult, and I know that by getting upset over these things, they're just giving satisfaction to the person doing/saying/using them.

I can choose to respond or not.

If the stakes are low, like mud slinging on a message board, then who gives a f*ck?

If the stakes are like say, getting ejected, possibly fined by the league, and physically restrained by teammates, then there's a pretty good chance you're better off just shutting your mouth and going on about your business.

You can't tell me the NBA league offices don't have some kind of proper channel to go through for something like this to have the ref called into account. Instead we have to act like a 3 year old and get ejected for a tantrum?

And lets say I'm wrong. Lets says the NBA has no intention of controlling their refs behavior in any way, and complaining to the league offices wouldn't do VC a lick of good. Then it's a lose lose situation, so there's still no reason to blow up over it.

Mathius
    Vince pretty much lost his leverage because it seems that whatever he said warranted ejection, regardless of the provocation. He clearly was going off on the official from about 1 foot behind him with no intention of stopping. Also, all of these quotes are what Carter said teh official said, not what people heard the official say.

If the official was white i could understand this more because the racial subtext is important. (A racist remark is worse than just an disrespectful remark). But this seems to me that Vince overreacterd, and in doing so took away any chance for the situation being righted (assuming the official did say the remark) and his team winning the game.

I'm with you on this..

Enlighten me on just what I'm so ignorant about.
    Your ignorant is bliss to the fact that you are not black, never was black, and can't ever be a black person. So you can never open your mouth in regards to how a black person should react to a word that's known to have a derogatory history behind it. You sound really really dumb, no joke.

You ever hear the expression "too much pride" ? Words can't hurt you. As human beings we have things like self control that allow us to look at things logically and separate ourselves from our emotions. Otherwise we're just animals.

If you allow yourself to get upset to the point where you're thrown out of a game over something someone said, hurting your teammates, disappointing your fans, etc. you're a pretty immature and possibly unstable human being.
    Anyone is free to have any emotion they choose. I reitterate... its not unreasonable for anyone to get upset over being called a word with history behind it's meaning & context. Nobody is going to create some new emotional ettiquette overnight because someone doesn't react the same as the other.

It's morons like you that give powers to words by reacting to them the way you did in this post.

Mathius
    LMAO . I've dealt with cowards with your mindset before. You live in a really sheltered fantasy world, and have perspectives based off books & hearsay instead of real talk with real people.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    If the official was white i could understand this more because the racial subtext is important. (A racist remark is worse than just an disrespectful remark). But this seems to me that Vince overreacterd, and in doing so took away any chance for the situation being righted (assuming the official did say the remark) and his team winning the game.

I'm with you on this..
    He may or may not have overreacted... but that's not for me to say, because I'm not him, and I don't know exactly how it happened, or what was running through his head when it happened. But what I do know is when I was in high school & younger years, depending on the context, my current mindset, and prior aggrevation, you might get a face-full of fist if you ever chose to address me as 'my n***a', 'dog', 'son', 'boy', and even going as far as 'ay'. Yes, I once punched a kid for keep saying 'ay' when I know he knew my name or could have addressed me with more respect. And these are all situations dealling with other black people or minorities. So that really has less bearing than you think.

So I won't put anything past anyone. Being a real person from the real world, I can only control myself and my own actions, but I did know people who were willing to shoot for simple stuff like I mentioned above.
    Last edited by beasted86; 01-01-2009 at 07:44 PM.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Your ignorant is bliss to the fact that you are not black, never was black, and can't ever be a black person. So you can never open your mouth in regards to how a black person should react to a word that's known to have a derogatory history behind it. You sound really really dumb, no joke.
    Way to be predictable and pull the old 'you're not black, you wouldn't understand' card.

Get a god damn life you self-righteous piece of sh*t. You were never a slave, you never had to deal with legal segregation. I'm sure there are people you've met who have given you a hard time because of your color, the same as there are people who give white people a hard time because they're goofy looking, or they have big ears, or this or that.

Those people are just as ignorant as you are, and the only reason they get results is because YOUR dumb ass rises to the bait.

Anyone is free to have any emotion they choose. I reitterate... its not unreasonable for anyone to get upset over being called a word with history behind it's meaning & context. Nobody is going to create some new emotional ettiquette overnight because someone doesn't react the same as the other.

LMAO . I've dealt with cowards with your mindset before. You live in a really sheltered fantasy world, and have perspectives based off books & hearsay instead of real talk with real people.
    You're the f'ing coward. You're afraid of people calling you names. Boo hoo mommy he called me a name.

Go shoot yourself. Not because you're black. Because your an f'ing moron.

Mathius

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by picc84
    And when it happens to refs, they can T the player up or throw him out. And they do. Players can't do that.

All I said is Carter has a reason to be pissed because the word is insulting. I didn't say he should have gone after him to the point of getting thrown out. He overreacted. But is it understandable? Yes, whether you think the word is that offensive or not.
    I agree. You can't call a grown man "boy" and expect to just get away.

Way to be predictable and pull the old 'you're not black, you wouldn't understand' card.

Get a god damn life you self-righteous piece of sh*t. You were never a slave, you never had to deal with legal segregation. I'm sure there are people you've met who have given you a hard time because of your color, the same as there are people who give white people a hard time because they're goofy looking, or they have big ears, or this or that.

Those people are just as ignorant as you are, and the only reason they get results is because YOUR dumb ass rises to the bait.

You're the f'ing coward. You're afraid of people calling you names. Boo hoo mommy he called me a name.

Go shoot yourself. Not because you're black. Because your an f'ing moron.

Mathius
    That's the truth, your not black so you don't understand. Simple. Just like me not understanding women and the abortion issue. The difference is I'm not ignorant, I'm aware when I have no knowledge or experience in an area.

You don't know me, you didn't live my life... so save your foolish rants about slavery/segregation, etc... Last I checked segregation was only legally abolished in 1964. I know a ton of people born before 1964, and have experienced harboring resentment/dislike, etc. Pretty much the only thing I agree with you on is that everyone can so choose to not let words affect them. I've grown and matured, and now have a different perspective on life and how to handle certain situations, but I still know I'm "entitled" to be angry over derrogatory names, if I so choosed.

Your an ignorant fool, and like I said you live in a fantasy world. I've seen your type 1000x before, and you're all really just cowards down deep. When it gets to the nitty gritty, your a "shutting the F up, yes sir!" type of character when the real life situation presents itself.

This is not about race but all about one grown man disrespecting another grown man by calling him a "boy"....basically the ref was looking down on Vince by saying that taking a shot at his manhood.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    This is not about race but all about one grown man disrespecting another grown man by calling him a "boy"....basically the ref was looking down on Vince by saying that taking a shot at his manhood.
    That's the point I was making earlier... that it didn't have to necessarily be race related. Being called boy could be getting sonned by another man.