Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Default Re: vince carter to ref: "Don't call me boy"

No. But insulting enough to be pissed.

There shouldn't be any refs calling players boy. Its condescending and insulting. It doesn't matter whether it comes from a white guy or black guy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    this just in:

reporters sitting courtside said they clearly heard Carter yelling at Stafford, who like Carter is African-American, "Don't call me boy"
    ...One reporter sitting courtside heard Carter rage to Devin Harris,
    "He called me boy."

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/200...to_piston.html

anyone see the game?

usually VC is uber-levelheaded so there must be something to this incident

Why do I have a sudden urge to watch the Jeffersons?-lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I don't know, but as a white person I still can't fathom why a black man is still going to take offense to being called "boy" in this day and age. I know what the insult is supposed to infer, but just because someone refers to you as "boy" doesn't mean it's racial. My father to this day still calls me boy at times, and yes, I'm white, but this is 2009 for crying out loud. None of you have ever been slaves.

To me, the type of black person that gets offended by the word "boy" is the black equivalent of a redneck.

In that same token a white person trying to use it as a racial insult is clearly an ignorant redneck and/or white trash.

Again, I want to go back to the fact that making everything about being black and white is just making the issue worse, and part of me is irritated that I'm the one who brought this up, but I know where this discussion is headed (not infering anything towards you, RBP, but I know the guys on this board well enough to know where they're going to take this. Just wait for Rasheed1 to jump in and add his 2 cents).

The fact is, standing up for it as a racial term towards black people is just another form of segregation in itself.

We need to stop looking at these things as black or white issues, and just start pointing out the reality of the situation. There's too much hate and racism in the world.

If you want to hate on something, hate on someone doing something stupid. They deserve it. Don't hate on someone for their class, religion, or color.

Mathius
    1. It's called ignorance when you speak of what others should do when you've never been/can't be in the same situation yourself. You should keep quiet to prevent yourself from looking stupid. Picture me giving my opinion on what raped women should do in regards to abortion/adoption/keeping it. Its just dumb. It's not unrealistic to suspect somebody might get offended by calling them "boy".

2. Second, "Boy" goes beyond racial bounds. If anyone calls you "boy", in my eyes, it infers the act of "sonning" somebody. As a grown man, I will not be sonned by someone I don't deem above me in regards to knowledge or age. I don't know what Carter's reasoning was, but considering the context, I find it realistic that someone can be offended by the word.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by picc84
    No. But insulting enough to be pissed.

There shouldn't be any refs calling players boy. Its condescending and insulting. It doesn't matter whether it comes from a white guy or black guy.
    So what? There shouldn't be any players insulting refs, but it happens. all the time. I'm not saying its right, but you're trying to justify VC's reaction, when the fact is, they're both wrong.

Mathius

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    So what? There shouldn't be any players insulting refs, but it happens. all the time. I'm not saying its right, but you're trying to justify VC's reaction, when the fact is, they're both wrong.

Mathius
    And when it happens to refs, they can T the player up or throw him out. And they do. Players can't do that.

All I said is Carter has a reason to be pissed because the word is insulting. I didn't say he should have gone after him to the point of getting thrown out. He overreacted. But is it understandable? Yes, whether you think the word is that offensive or not.

NBA lottery pick

And when it happens to refs, they can T the player up or throw him out. And they do. Players can't do that.

All I said is Carter has a reason to be pissed because the word is insulting. I didn't say he should have gone after him to the point of getting thrown out. He overreacted. But is it understandable? Yes, whether you think the word is that offensive or not.
    Players can't talk about refs in interviews either. These are the rules. You don't have to like them, you have to accept them. VC overreacted, period. His reasons for this are not clear given the story we have.

I never once condoned the refs actions, but Carter was wrong as well for reacting the way he did.

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    1. It's called ignorance when you speak of what others should do when you've never been/can't be in the same situation yourself. You should keep quiet to prevent yourself from looking stupid. Picture me giving my opinion on what raped women should do in regards to abortion/adoption/keeping it. Its just dumb. It's not unrealistic to suspect somebody might get offended by calling them "boy".
    Enlighten me on just what I'm so ignorant about.

2. Second, "Boy" goes beyond racial bounds. If anyone calls you "boy", in my eyes, it infers the act of "sonning" somebody. As a grown man, I will not be sonned by someone I don't deem above me in regards to knowledge or age. I don't know what Carter's reasoning was, but considering the context, I find it realistic that someone can be offended by the word.
    You ever hear the expression "too much pride" ? Words can't hurt you. As human beings we have things like self control that allow us to look at things logically and separate ourselves from our emotions. Otherwise we're just animals.

If you allow yourself to get upset to the point where you're thrown out of a game over something someone said, hurting your teammates, disappointing your fans, etc. you're a pretty immature and possibly unstable human being.

It's morons like you that give powers to words by reacting to them the way you did in this post.

Mathius

How all of this came from this

'Boy' from anyone but your parents or relatives is insulting whether its racial or not.
    I don't know. I think we can agree calling someone boy is insulting. Thats all I was estabishing. I never said he should have reacted so angrily and gotten himself thrown out, just that he was insulted and had a right to be upset. There's no reason to be so argumentative.
    Last edited by picc84; 01-01-2009 at 03:22 PM.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Refs have too much power over the outcome of games. I wonder if they give psych evaluations before becoming a professional ref.

Local High School Star

'Boy' from anyone but your parents or relatives is insulting whether its racial or not.
    , he's a grown man just like the ref he's not a boy

Good High School Starter

The ref should and will be fined and suspended.

the game is about the players, not the refs.
    This ref tought he was the one in the main role. He will have to pay for that.

Nets lost the game, but overall Carter did the right thing, because Stern will now come out and tell the refs to stay in their role.

Racist or not, it's a demeaning term. If you are not my father, or my good friend, don't call me "boy".

It was all a misunderstanding.

The ref was jewish. Carter was complaining and the ref said, "Oy!!!!"

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

I don't know, but as a white person I still can't fathom why a black man is still going to take offense to being called "boy" in this day and age

Ok well STFU and stay the f uck out of it. If really want to know, go sit down and have a straight talk with a black person, and stay the f uck out of here with your pompous attitude, boy.

NBA rookie of the year 04mzwach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Ok well STFU and stay the f uck out of it. If really want to know, go sit down and have a straight talk with a black person, and stay the f uck out of here with your pompous attitude, boy.
    ignorance at its best