Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Rajon Rondo has become so Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    His limitations -- and they are enormous -- will cost Boston the title this year. You can go to any rec center or Y in the country and pick out half a dozen guys who can shoot better than Rondo. That's sad.
    And somehow they not only managed to win the Championship last season. But have won almost 80% of their regular season games in the last year and a half

His limitations -- and they are enormous -- will cost Boston the title this year. You can go to any rec center or Y in the country and pick out half a dozen guys who can shoot better than Rondo. That's sad.
    same limitation he had last year. same limitation avery johnson had. same limitation "_Ason Kidd" had leading the Nets to the Finals.

seewhati'msayin'?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Celts34
    And somehow they not only managed to win the Championship last season. But have won almost 80% of their regular season games in the last year and a half
    The truth of what I said will be borne out in the months to come. They will not be able to beat LA with Rondo, because LA will just play their gimmick defense on him and it'll be 4-on-5 all day.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    same limitation he had last year. same limitation avery johnson had. same limitation "_Ason Kidd" had leading the Nets to the Finals.

seewhati'msayin'?
    Avery Johnson was a MUCH better shooter than Rondo. Kidd was better than Rondo as well, though still sub-par.

We'll just wait and see who's right about this liability.

The truth of what I said will be borne out in the months to come. They will not be able to beat LA with Rondo, because LA will just play their gimmick defense on him and it'll be 4-on-5 all day.

Because they played him so differently six months ago?? That defense was not really all that unique to the Lakers, everyone outside of the Hawks played him that way last year in the playoffs. Nobody more blatant than the Cavs. I mean the Cavs used Rondo' guy basically to double Paul and Ray every trip down

Avery Johnson was a MUCH better shooter than Rondo. Kidd was better than Rondo as well, though still sub-par.

We'll just wait and see who's right about this liability.
    you know, the best 3% avery johnson had during his years with San Antonio is .231. we've seen that number in this very same thread. it's the 3% rondo is shooting right now. his general fg% throughout his time there never got as high as Rondo's is right now, and he peaked as a 13ppg scorer.

now... going beyond the numbers, i can tell you that Avery was a better jump shooter than Rondo--out to about 12 or 15 feet. past that, it's a wash. Rondo gets to the basket a LOT better than Avery ever did, and Avery was only a few % higher than Rondo from the foul line most seasons.

ball handling? assist-to-turnovers weren't much different. both of them manage a game well, have a good knack for when to push and when to slow it up, etc. they also both know their roles on the team quite well.

defensively? Rondo all the way.

i will give it to you that jason kidd was a lethal 3 point shooter compared to Rondo and AJ, and he killed them both from the line. still, his overall fg% during his tenure with New Jersey was at or BELOW .414 every season.

my point stands--all of those guys brought a lot more to the table than they gave away due to their shooting woes.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    you know, the best 3% avery johnson had during his years with San Antonio is .231. we've seen that number in this very same thread. it's the 3% rondo is shooting right now. his general fg% throughout his time there never got as high as Rondo's is right now, and he peaked as a 13ppg scorer.

now... going beyond the numbers, i can tell you that Avery was a better jump shooter than Rondo--out to about 12 or 15 feet. past that, it's a wash. Rondo gets to the basket a LOT better than Avery ever did, and Avery was only a few % higher than Rondo from the foul line most seasons.

ball handling? assist-to-turnovers weren't much different. both of them manage a game well, have a good knack for when to push and when to slow it up, etc. they also both know their roles on the team quite well.

defensively? Rondo all the way.

i will give it to you that jason kidd was a lethal 3 point shooter compared to Rondo and AJ, and he killed them both from the line. still, his overall fg% during his tenure with New Jersey was at or BELOW .414 every season.

my point stands--all of those guys brought a lot more to the table than they gave away due to their shooting woes.
    For what it's worth, I was talking about midrange shooting for Johnson (and Rondo, for that matter). Rondo can't hit the side of a barn from 12-20 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Celts34
    Because they played him so differently six months ago??
    No, but LA is a much better team, and will be a much better team in June, than they were in last year's Finals. That will make the difference.

Why does every Celtics-related thread turn into a Lakers thread?

Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

I didn't mean for that to happen. I just don't think he is an all star.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    I didn't mean for that to happen. I just don't think he is an all star.
    He's not. Mo Williams and Devin Harris are both playing better ball than him.

Which of course is the whole point of this thread. Some people act like he should be an all star. Bill Walton even said so. Which equates to the fact that he's ridiculously overrated.

It's like Dennis Scott playing in Orlando. Was Dennis Scott really worth 10-15ppg? No, but he played with Shaquille O'Neal. The defense had to double Shaq, but they couldn't leave Scott open as well... but with Nick Anderson on the team to shoot threes as well... and then later Penny Hardaway, and then Horace Grant who was good out to 20ft almost... You can't cover everyone.

Mathius