Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Default Rajon Rondo has become so Overrated

Not saying he's a bad player or anything, but he's definitely not what he's hyped up to be. I've been hearing people saying that he's an allstar this year and I think that is ridiculous. Hell I think Sebastian Telfair, Delonte West and Allen Ray would look like allstars next to Garnett, Pierce and Allen. At least those three guards can actually shoot the ball. Rondo passes up on so many open looks which he should be taken. Maybe I haven't seen enough to really say, but from what I've seen he's nowhere near an allstar caliber guard just yet.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Rajon Rondo has become so Overrated

All-star? No. But Rondo beat out Telfair for a reason. Allan Ray, not even going to go there.

Delonte West may just look like an All-Star in the half court, though Rondo is the better PG.

3-time NBA All-Star

He's playing great, much better then last year, but I agree with you. He's averaging 11/7/5. He's playing great all-around, but thats nothing to go crazy about. Devin Harris is clearly better. Derrick Rose is clearly better. Jose Calderon is third in the league in assists right now and he gets absolutely no mention. Now I know everyone is going to say "they're not winning", but does anybody honestly think the Celtics wouldn't do just as well, if not better, with one of the PGs I mentioned instead of Rondo?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

He is a product of the veteran team members around him, but he is indeed playing very well and contributing significantly toward the success of that team.

I would not take anything away from him, IMO. He has over exceeded my expectations from what I thought he could be.

He deserves props for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    Not saying he's a bad player or anything, but he's definitely not what he's hyped up to be. I've been hearing people saying that he's an allstar this year and I think that is ridiculous. Hell I think Sebastian Telfair, Delonte West and Allen Ray would look like allstars next to Garnett, Pierce and Allen. At least those three guards can actually shoot the ball. Rondo passes up on so many open looks which he should be taken. Maybe I haven't seen enough to really say, but from what I've seen he's nowhere near an allstar caliber guard just yet.
    Yes thank you. I'm at school, and I start hearing that Rondo is better than Devin Harris and Deron Williams at that point i knew things were getting out of hand. Rondo has stepped up his scoring game this season but is not among the top 10 point guards in the league ATM. When your with All stars it always gives you advantages over the other point guards in the league.

McCants is Available!!

Rondo is quicker than any of the mentioned players, a better defender, and a better playmaker. He may not be an All-Star just yet, but he will be in the future. I bet you think Gabe Pruitt>>>Rondo just because he can shoot. LMAO

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

uif you saw rondo in college, you saw what he could do. One of the best rebounding guards I can recall in recent memory. solid passer, long arms and quick. Solid handle. All hes missing is a jumper and that is fine.

I usually hit open layups

He's been very good this year, but not great. He's probably going to make the all-star team, but i'm not sure if that's because of his production, the Celtics record, or because there are not a lot of great point guards in the East. With that said, he's got a ton of potential and with the solid foundation in Boston he'll probably reach it. Can you imagine how good he'll be once he develops a consistent jumpshot?

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    uif you saw rondo in college, you saw what he could do. One of the best rebounding guards I can recall in recent memory. solid passer, long arms and quick. Solid handle. All hes missing is a jumper and that is fine.
    Rajon Rondo was worse in college. The college game never really suited his style of play.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 LAL
    Rajon Rondo was worse in college. The college game never really suited his style of play.
    That said, he still led the SEC in assists, while playing for Tubby Smith. Smith micromanaged him and really slowed it down, but Rajon was still able to drop dimes.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by #1 LAL
    sure, he had some rough times in college but he had some brilliant flashes. As far as late round picks thats what you gotta look for

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

His college career had me wanting Marcus Williams more, haha. Tubby put him at SG so I personally saw a 6foot combo guard that couldn't shoot, thought he was worthless. Glad to be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by guy
    He's playing great, much better then last year, but I agree with you. He's averaging 11/7/5. He's playing great all-around, but thats nothing to go crazy about. Devin Harris is clearly better. Derrick Rose is clearly better. Jose Calderon is third in the league in assists right now and he gets absolutely no mention. Now I know everyone is going to say "they're not winning", but does anybody honestly think the Celtics wouldn't do just as well, if not better, with one of the PGs I mentioned instead of Rondo?
    Rose, with experience, would definitely be an improvement and right now may be better for the team, altrhough I'm not sure if he defends on par with Rondo. Calderon and Harris are definite offensive improvements, but on d Calderon is a downgrade, whereas Harris may be able to defend like Rondo but doesn't. And D is the Cs trademark. They are all better players than Rondo but may not be better for the Celtics.
    Last edited by Real Men Wear Green; 12-19-2008 at 03:47 PM.

He's not an All-Star, so anyone claiming that is overrating.

Rondo is not an all-star yet, but he's damn good, especially on D. If he's overrated, its only a reflection of playing on the best team.

Local High School Star

Ive watched plenty of celtic games this year. who is overrating rondo? Hes not better then any of the big 3.. so who is saying he is? nobody... hes an amazing role player he makes really good choices and plays great with the team he has. dude is a baller im lovin his play this season. he does get ALOT of open looks though in the paint and outside. im sure alot of point guards wish they were in his position with the big 3 getting him so many open looks.