Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Is Pau Gasol the true MVP of the Lakers right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    All I know is that I have zero faith in Pau in any situation that has any bit of pressure involved. He also runs from shots at times

I think its more he's afraid of Kobe yelliing at him, or something along those lines. It just seems like that whole team is walking on eggshells trying to appease Kobe when i watch them, especially during crucial moments where its almost like they HAVE to defer to Kobe. Maybe i'm wrong but i get that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    You could trade Odom for a guard, but think about the playoffs. With their current play, I'd rather have Gasol and Bynum surrounded by shooters than Odom playing PF against some other West PF big names.
    I dont know about that. I think in the playoffs, you need a guy like kobe. You cant just rely on the jumpshooters to make their shots. You need a guy who can intiate the offense and to create his own shot. Kobe may have fallen short in the finals, buts its him who brought them there with his spectacular play.

NBA rookie of the year

I have no problem with anyone saying Pau has been the Lakers MVP.

Pau- 18.0 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 3.4 apg, 0.9 bpg, 57.1 FG%, 77.6 FT%, 12.0 FGA, 34.9 mpg

Kobe- 24.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.5 spg, 45.8 FG%, 27.7 3P%, 87.6 FT%, 19.2 FGA, 34.0 mpg

I believe that Kobe is their best player but Pau has arguably been more valuable this year.

Pau's only competition right now for the title of best low post player is Tim Duncan. Pau is the best passing big man in the league. He's extremely unselfish and he's very efficient. He's also an excellent rebounder and one of the best shooting 7 footers in the NBA.

The only problem I have with Pau being in the discussion for league MVP is that he's not even the first option on his team. He needs WAY more than 12 shots per game though.
    Last edited by VCMVP1551; 12-11-2008 at 06:13 PM.

shhhhhhh

Originally Posted by Younggrease
    Have you ever seen someone help on Gasol in the post...even once?wonder why..you ever wonder why he gets like 5-6 open 8 footers a game...its because no one is worried about him
    Pau gets plenty of atention.. not sure what game you are watching... there's a reason he is second behind kobe in going to the free throw line and it's not because "no one is worried about him" honestly do you really think teams are so stupid to not pay attention to the teams second leading scorer? and the go to man in the paint...

oh wait i suppose bynum is the go to man in the paint or would be if phil didn't have an agenda against bynum right?

as for the OP Pau has been the most consistent player this year and probably playing the best all around ball on the team...

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
    Kobe Bryant 24/5/4 on 46% shooting

Pau Gasol 18/9/3 on 57% shooting!

Pau stats would probably be much higher if they fed him more when he was hot and made more set plays for him. More importantly he has taken very few games off while Kobe has completely lost his shot lately and has been torched defensively. Pau has been like a rock for the Lakers and Bynum too for that matter after about the first 10 adjustment games coming off the injury. Kobe has been superstar brilliant in a lot, if not most games but he has lost the consistency you would expect from a 30 year old veteran. Am I wrong in thinking that right now Pau is playing like the Laker's MVP and he needs to get more touches, unless it's one of the games that Kobe has displayed that he has found his shot for that game?
    No, I think you are not wrong, I agree with your post, and Im going much farther by saying, IF he continue this, he should be considered atleast for the hall of fame. The guy is so consistent, scoring, rebounding, shot blocking with both weak and strong teams, held his own against Duncan in the playoffs.
    I can't believe so-called analysts and harsh fans branded him as soft after the finals. After playing so well agains't Denver, Utah and Spurs, all of a sudden he is soft, forget the fact that every other Lakers forgot to defend and shoot the ball, it's all about Pau being soft.
    If Pau is muscular and not slim, if yells/Growls/taunts other players, If he has 2 extra inches of vertical leap, if he market himself and be outspoken, he is a slam dunk for the hall of fame.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smokee
    I think its more he's afraid of Kobe yelliing at him, or something along those lines. It just seems like that whole team is walking on eggshells trying to appease Kobe when i watch them, especially during crucial moments where its almost like they HAVE to defer to Kobe. Maybe i'm wrong but i get that impression.
    is that why he has been called out by the spainish media and teamates in memphis for the ame thing?

is that why he has been called out by the spainish media and teamates in memphis for the ame thing?
    The Spanish media NEVER calls out any Spanish NBA player. NEVER.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease AllNBAArenas's Avatar

Be honest dog. The real reason you don't like Pau is because he is a euro, or he is white, he takes attention away from your man-crushed Kobe, or some combination of those. How can anyone take so many sniper shots at a player who is ballin for your team the way Pau is?

till today pau has been the most efficient and consistent laker. True MVP? debatable.

Banned

People saying Pau is the MVP over Kobe; do you watch the defensive side of the ball?

LMAO here comes Younggrease with his unrelenting hate for Pau...never gets old
    Anyway I don't see the point of this discussion. I mean, I understand the trolls who will jump into any conversation to put down Kobe. But if you're a Laker fan...both guys play on your team, why does it matter who is the MVP? We really have more important issues to worry about right now.

I'll give Pau credit for carrying the Lakers on the offensive end, especially when Kobe's been struggling. He sure looked like the Laker's best player last night, no way we could've won that game without him. He needs to play better D though, we have enough players on this team who can score. If we're going to beat Boston and the Spurs with Gasol as our MVP, he needs to be more assertive and not get pushed around.

I said Gasol was LA's MVP last year for saving the season and helping them get the top spot after Bynum goes down, and I get slammed. People say the exact same thing about him this year with Kobe struggling, and it's not farfetched.

Very good NBA starter

at this thread. Kobe has been playing like garbage and he STILL has a higher PER then Gasol, he still has better defensive numbers. Kobe is the Lakers' MVP unarguably. He's the guy who other teams game-plan to stop. He draws the doubles and triples. Kobe is a top 5 player, Pau isn't even top 10. No surprise that the Kobe haters all of a sudden became big Pau fans .

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    Pau should have been MVP last season. He saved the Lakers year.
    If Kobe wasn't there last season, there wouldn't be a team to save

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1
    Pau should have been MVP last season. He saved the Lakers year.
    I pray to god you are being sarcastic.