Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Possible that a Young, Healthy Arvydas Sabonis the GOAT center?

at 7'3 and 290 pounds he was leader of the Amazing USSR squad of the 1980's, this force came to prominence when he led the USSR to a world championship win in 1982, then he absolutely DOMINATED David Robinson in both the 1986 World Championships and in the 1988 Olympics, leading the Soviets to Gold medals in the Olympic Games. He was considered the best Big Man in the world in the 80's..including players in the NBA

Here is a video of Sabonis treating Robinson and the US team like plebians in the World Championship in 1986..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwuNWNSgeQ

That 1988 USA Olympics team featured a 23 year old David Robinson (Sabonis was 24), Danny Manning, Dan Majerle, and Mitch Richmond amongst others. There loss prompted the USA to go with the dream team in 92..and by then the Soviets had dissolved and Arvydas joined Lithuania.

Unfortunately injury would always plague Arvydas who already ruptured two achilles tendons by the mid 80's. Including a devastating one in 1985, and he was never the same, not even during his torching of Robinson and USA in 86...

He is considered the greatest passing center of all time. Even Bill Walton says this. He was also a better three point shooter than Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan and Allen Iverson. When he came into the NBA he shot 37% from behind the arc his first two seasons...while taking over 250 3 pointers. Jordan is a career 32% 3pt shooter, Kobe 33% and AI 31%.

Vid of him shooting threes ..unreal..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdlB8tX75Mc

Let's just dwell on that for a sec...7'3"..290 pounds.. better three point shooter than Jordan and Kobe...WOW... ..but he wasn't a EURO softy big man like Dirk..Arvydas in his younger days was a monster..with a couple of KO's during fights..and he took it to the rim with FORCE.

Here is a video of Sabonis Smashing the backboard with a ONE HAND dunk..Has that ever been done by anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9AJ-Yclo4I

Because he lived under communist rule..Arvydas would not be allowed to enter the NBA during his prime. It wasn't a matter of not wanting to..he was even drafted by Portland in 1986...the Soviets wouldn't let him. He finally made his way over to the NBA at the age of 31, plagued with injuries and just a shell of his former self..yet he still put up AWESOME NUMBERS.

From the ages of 31-35 he had an average PER of 21.5. To put that in perspective lets compare that with the other NBA all time great centers and their PER's from ages 31-35. His NBA stats are on Par with the legends of the sport.

1. DRobinson 26.2
    2. Kareem 24.6
    3. Dream 24.0
    4. Wilt 22.0
    5.Ewing 22.0
    6. Sabonis 21.5
    7.Moses Malone 20.9
    8.B.Russell 17.0

Arvydas didn't slow down after that either...at the age of 38 ..he still put up 14pts and 10rbs per game. The next year at 39 he went back to Europe and was the euroleague player of the year!!

Now listen, I'm not going to say Arvydas Sabonis would have or was the greatest center of all time. How great was he in the 80's all I can say is what I've heard from other people. I've only seen a game or two of his from this era. Definitly not enough evidence available for me to make a decision. But I think he has to be in the discussion.

What a shame we rarely got to see him at his best.

(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^) big baller's Avatar

Default Re: Possible that a Young, Healthy Arvydas Sabonis the GOAT center?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by big baller
    what is so funny?

If Sabonis had been a couple years younger when he was with the 99-00 Blazers, he probably would have stopped Shaq from getting his first ring.

RP 4 lyfe

I don't know about GOAT. but he could of been a top 10 center of all time.

Banned

No matter how good he was no way he was at the peak of his powers EVER better than prime Shaq no one ever was and no one ever will be

Very good NBA starter

sabonis was great while he did play in the NBA. shame we couldnt see him during his younger days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed

Here is a video of Sabonis Smashing the backboard with a ONE HAND dunk..Has that ever been done by anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9AJ-Yclo4I

Ummm... yes. In one of the most famous B-ball clips of all time.

Send it IN Jerome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgQlaAUMo8

No, he wouldn't be the GOAT center or, even if he was in the mix, most people wouldn't pick him. Why?

1) He was a good, but not overpowering, Shaq-like scorer. Much like a guy like Bill Walton, he cared more about a good pass or a good screen than scoring 30 ppg. These non-PG players usually get wins, but don’t dominate in a way definite enough to get them to the GOAT discussions.

2) Even if he cared about scoring, I don't think he'd be successful for long, because that would require more energy from his part, increasing the risk of an injury. Sabonis might be a natural wonder from the waist on, but his feet were pretty Waltonian/Zidrunian.

3) Among all the greatest centers, Sabonis was, maybe tied with Moses Malone, the worst defender, and defense for his position is more important than in any other.

BTW, Jinxed, you’ve calculated PER wrong in some cases (you added them all and devided with the number of seasons). PER is a “per minute”, not a “per season” metric.

Also, you can't use PER to compare a 25-30 mpg player to players who averaged 38-40 (or even more) minutes

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

he certainly should be in the conversation. Its too bad that the US exposure was limited to smoking D Rob and his twilight after serious injury. Still one of my favorite players on the best incarnation of portland, the original jailblazers (pre miles, etc). that whole team went 10 deep and was insane. too bad, a better coach could have taken them all the way.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Not a chance. Couldn't do anything going to his left.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

he was a formidable player and would have been up there in the top 5 ever... GOAT? probably not, but close to it. it is a shame he did not play in the NBA during his prime. Dude could pass like no other center!

Good High School Starter

[QUOTE=Psileas]No, he wouldn't be the GOAT center or, even if he was in the mix, most people wouldn't pick him. Why?

1) He was a good, but not overpowering, Shaq-like scorer. Much like a guy like Bill Walton, he cared more about a good pass or a good screen than scoring 30 ppg. These non-PG players usually get wins, but don

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    Not a chance. Couldn't do anything going to his left.
    Who do you consider the GOAT center?

Good High School Starter

Euroleague Final 1986

Sabonis Vs. Drazen ****ing awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUNlU7zFZ5Q

Tell me Sabonis isn't a dominate scorer after watching that..dudes slamming on people, hitting threes, fade away jump shots, blocking shots, getting steals and throwing no look passes..and that's jst the first 9 minutes.. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Jinxed; 12-10-2008 at 10:50 PM.