Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mavs = Retarded for trading Devin Harris...

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    *facepalm* at the number of dumbasses with 20-20 hindsight that are always posting stuff like this.
    It wasn't hindsight. I thought the move was dumb when I first heard it.

I even remember saying the deal was bad partly because Harris's quickness was a big upside because of what it would mean for defending the young crop of guards the west has, like Chris Paul. I remember some fans blasting that comment. Well, Paul tore Kidd a new a-hole in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Showtime; 11-22-2008 at 01:48 AM.

The Mavs let go of Devin Harris one year too early, or maybe it was the change of scenery that helped. I have Harris as most improved player this season, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Undisputed
    The Mavs let go of Devin Harris one year too early, or maybe it was the change of scenery that helped. I have Harris as most improved player this season, so far.
    I think it's more the system and the way the offense if run. In Dallas was what, the 3rd or 4th option? In NJ he's 1 or 2 whenever he's on the court. He has the ball in his hands and he's a dangerous player because of it. He has turned up the heat after the first few games of the season and now he's shooting great percentages.

After I took some time to think about this trade after it first happen, and got over the initial shock of losing Jason Kidd, I saw how smart it was. The same can be said for just about every trade Rod Thorn makes concerning important players.

Local High School Star LiL Stevie's Avatar

Stupid trade, not because Harris is so great but more so that Kidd is not the right fit for the Mavs offense. Harris is decent but let's be real, he was not going to emerge as the Deron Williams/Chris Paul point guard for the Mavs. He was pretty much just a 3rd/4th option scorer. Does he have the talent? Possibly, but as long as Terry was there in the backcourt with him, he would not have gotten the freedom to play at point guard.

Blame the Mavs for not giving Harris more of a chance in his four years there over anything else. We never even knew if he could become a top point guard for them because they were so obsessed with Jason Terry. Instead of letting Harris play freely, they let Howard and Terry shoulder the burden and only allowed Harris to be a defender/change-of-pace scorer.

I like how people want to bash the Mavs but failed to mention how Devin Harris kept getting smashed by Deron Williams, Baron Davis and Dwayne Wade and the other big guards, Ok Devin Harris is young and quick but what else does he bring to the table?...the guy is not and will never be a leader, he plays more like a SG than a PG, half the time he's injured but people want to act like he's Chris Paul or something, eveybody on this forum is overrating Harris and it's starting to get crazy.

I miss the hell out of Harris. I think that if the Mavs were going to trade two 1sts, including one unprotected in 2010, that it should have been Jason Terry, not Harris, that was sent to the Nets.

We severely overpaid for Kidd. Now, Kidd has been fantastic so I cant ***** about his play. I just think this team would be unbelievable with Harris in Jets current role here in Dallas.

But, whats done is done, gotta move on. Kidd and Harris are both playing outstanding right now.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

I knew it was a bad trade the moment i saw it

   

some good points made on the second page- i tip my hat to those. but a couple things people rarely mention when slamming this trade:

- dirk is now on the downward slope of his career, the team is built around him, and the window of opportunity is closing. the team had stalled and the trade was a calculated risk to get back to the championship before it was too late. odds are it wasn't going to work, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a reasonable risk to take. (altho i agree that thorn fleeced nelson by getting the unprotected pick)

- kidd has played great and no question was an improvement over what harris was giving them. get over the fact that he doesn't take many shots and has trouble 1v1 against quicker guards, but he dominates everywhere else. from team defense, to being able to cover big scorers like tmac, to shooting efficiency to passing the ball, rebounding, and being a good captain... he does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by #1SportsFan86
    I like how people want to bash the Mavs but failed to mention how Devin Harris kept getting smashed by Deron Williams, Baron Davis and Dwayne Wade and the other big guards,
    First off, a PG shouldn't be guarding Wade to begin with. The goal at the time was to make a move to stay in contention. They wouldn't have beaten Utah in 7 no matter who was at point, and I don't think Davis was that serious of a factor for the following two or three years. They had come off a big upset from them, but I don't think Kidd would have made that much difference. I would be more worried about getting past Parker and the Spurs and Paul and the Hornets, two division opponents with quick PG's for years to come.

Ok Devin Harris is young and quick but what else does he bring to the table?...the guy is not and will never be a leader, he plays more like a SG than a PG, half the time he's injured but people want to act like he's Chris Paul or something, eveybody on this forum is overrating Harris and it's starting to get crazy.
    It's not so much about Harris playing like crazy recently, it's more of the combination of that, the humiliating defeat against the hornets in the playoffs, and the overall trade. They gave up way too much of their future banking on the short term, and they got nothing in the short term. It was an utter failure of a trade. Now, Harris might not turn into that leader, but for the future of a team, he can certainly be serviceable. Remember, the recent champions haven't had franchise point guards who were leaders. Oh, and the picks involved, yuck. Bad deal.
    Last edited by Showtime; 11-22-2008 at 02:49 AM.

High School Starter

The Mavs should have tried to move Howard if they were so hellbent on making a move. They also should have targetted someone other than Kidd, who is not at his best in the half court, grind it out system the Mavs were playing under Avery. Trading a young talented player and two 1st round picks for a year and a half of Kidd was not a good move then and it's not a good move now and it will be a horrible move in the future.

1999 St Matt BallTeam

Quote Originally Posted by rknine15
    2008 1st round protected pick- Nets draft Ryan Anderson
    2010 1st round unprotected pick

hahahaha omg

2010 UNPROTECTED? the way i see t his teh mavs will decline again next year and it's over

there is a chance they will NOT even make the playoffs next year if they don't make some improvements to their roster

not only that stackhouse wants to get traded as well ..... talk about losing their depth

i think howard is going to go smoke some pot now in games to try to get high and go play harder for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    First off, a PG shouldn't be guarding Wade to begin with. The goal at the time was to make a move to stay in contention. They wouldn't have beaten Utah in 7 no matter who was at point, and I don't think Davis was that serious of a factor for the following two or three years. They had come off a big upset from them, but I don't think Kidd would have made that much difference. I would be more worried about getting past Parker and the Spurs and Paul and the Hornets, two division opponents with quick PG's for years to come.

It's not so much about Harris playing like crazy recently, it's more of the combination of that, the humiliating defeat against the hornets in the playoffs, and the overall trade. They gave up way too much of their future banking on the short term, and they got nothing in the short term. It was an utter failure of a trade. Now, Harris might not turn into that leader, but for the future of a team, he can certainly be serviceable. Remember, the recent champions haven't had franchise point guards who were leaders. Oh, and the picks involved, yuck. Bad deal.

I see what your saying but the Mavs could easily trade for a PG like Raymond Felton who I heard was on the trading block to make up for Devin Harris, Harris can be replace it not like the Mavs traded away Chris Paul or something that's all I'm trying to say, the Mavs were trying to give them Jason Terry but the Nets wanted Devin and Dirk put a gun(not really) to Cuban's head and Cuban did the trade, Cuban shouldn't even be getting bashed the way he is becasue all he did was sign off on the trade when Dirk was the person that wanted Jason Kidd all along because he didn't think Devin could lead the Mavs to a title.

What the Mavs gave up to get Jason Kidd

Devin Harris
    Trenton Hassell (huge contract)
    Maurice Ager (bust)
    Keith Van Horn (Didn't even play)
    DeSagana Diop (resigned with the Mavs)
    2008 first-round draft
    2010 first-round draft

All the Mavs gave up was Devin Harris but the only thing that makes me mad about the trade is that we added thoes 1st first round draft picks that's the only thing I'm mad about.

Kidd has played well enough that I think it was a good move short and long term. With Kidd they a better chance of winning now and have a ton more flexibility money wise and he is just a flat out better overall PG even if he is 35.

I like how people want to bash the Mavs but failed to mention how Devin Harris kept getting smashed by Deron Williams, Baron Davis and Dwayne Wade and the other big guards, Ok Devin Harris is young and quick but what else does he bring to the table?...the guy is not and will never be a leader, he plays more like a SG than a PG, half the time he's injured but people want to act like he's Chris Paul or something, eveybody on this forum is overrating Harris and it's starting to get crazy.
    you clearly didnt watch last years Nets vs utah...

Quote Originally Posted by rknine15
    A Nets game last week vs the hawk
    60 points, 9 rebounds, 15 assist, 4 steals

-Devin Harris: 33 points, 10 assist, 3 rebounds, 2 steals

-Ryan Anderson: 17 points, 5 rebounds, 1 steal

-Keyon Dooling: 10 points, 5 assist, 1 rebound, 1 steal **acquired using the $3.3 million trade exception from the trade
    LMAO
    Devin is gonna be an all-star...
    I see what your saying but the Mavs could easily trade for a PG like Raymond Felton who I heard was on the trading block to make up for Devin Harris, Harris can be replace it not like the Mavs traded away Chris Paul or something that's all I'm trying to say, the Mavs were trying to give them Jason Terry but the Nets wanted Devin and Dirk put a gun(not really) to Cuban's head and Cuban did the trade, Cuban shouldn't even be getting bashed the way he is becasue all he did was sign off on the trade when Dirk was the person that wanted Jason Kidd all along because he didn't think Devin could lead the Mavs to a title.

What the Mavs gave up to get Jason Kidd

Devin Harris
    Trenton Hassell (huge contract)
    Maurice Ager (bust)
    Keith Van Horn (Didn't even play)
    DeSagana Diop (resigned with the Mavs)
    2008 first-round draft
    2010 first-round draft

All the Mavs gave up was Devin Harris but the only thing that makes me mad about the trade is that we added thoes 1st first round draft picks that's the only thing I'm mad about.
    Devin Harris= Beast
    KVH= expires in 2010 anyways
    Diop=garbage on the nets anyways,expirer good for the Nets and then the Mavs sign him for the Full MLE for 5 years
    3 mill dollars=Keyon Dooling who is >than Marcus
    Ager sux.. lol
    Hassell expires in 2010 I think
    Last edited by Nets fan 93; 11-22-2008 at 12:44 PM.