Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011
    Saw a basketball once Lebron James23's Avatar

Default Re: LeBron rips Barkley, says 'he's stupid'

Charles is just mad Lebron is already better thean Barkley ever was.

Lebron ought to keep in mind that he has a high school level education, and let his agent do the talking for him.

Decent playground baller power works's Avatar

LBJ didn't exactly put a stop to all of the hype surrounding his possible Knick signing. In fact, it looks like he's really enjoying all of the extra attention.

Cavs are fucked. He's gone.

Decent playground baller power works's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ramoer
    Lebron ought to keep in mind that he has a high school level education, and let his agent do the talking for him.
    I think his agents are 3 close friends from high school.

Cavs are really fucked.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J_Rock3ts
    People need to realize the only reason LeBron is bringing it up in the first place is the media itself. As soon as the 2 NY trades went down, ESPN went on a roll talking about how the Knicks were clearing up space for 2010. Of course the media is going to want LeBron's opinion about it. And they'll ask about it. Again. And again. And again. It's what they do....it's their job to do so. I VERY HIGHLY doubt that LeBron walked into a press conference and wanted to talk about the Knicks trades. I'm not a LeBron supporter or denouncer. But maybe it's the media that needs to "shut the hell up," and stop bringing it up to James.

LeBron hasn't said a word that hasn't been asked for. He's not trying to send messages about his free agent status...he's trying to be the consumate professional and give reporters their quotes to run off and distort. I think all LeBron needs to do is just state "next question" every time the media brings it up.
    He could easily quell all of the chatter by saying something to the effect of...

"I don't want to talk about something that is so far off... My only focus is bringing a championship to Cleveland. Anything past that is pure speculation."

That is really ALL he has to say... Not this cryptic non-sense about him being 'happy' that New York thinks it has a shot to get him and droning on and on about how great it is to play at MSG. He is clearly intentionally stoking the fire and it really is a slap in the face to fans in a city that adores him and a franchise that has done everything in an attempt to win a championship.

If this were a superstar on a team that continually misses the playoffs, switches coaches every year, plays in front of a half-empty arena, and management that refuses to spend money to bring in the help that is needed, I could understand a player mulling over this kind of situation in front of the media. Even then, I still think discussing something that is two years away is insane, especially considering how quickly dynamics change in the NBA. None of us really know where either the Cavs or the Knicks will be in two years and what situations may arise between now and then. But, if the Cavs and LeBron were facing the kind of problems that I listed above, I could sort of see this kind of thing being a valid discussion for a player.

But, these are not the circumstances that surround LeBron in Cleveland. The Cavs have one of the highest attendance numbers, both at home and on the road. They have been one of the best teams in the conference for years, going to the Finals two years ago and taking the eventual champs to the brink of elimination last season. The franchise has become one of the highest spenders in the league and money is no object when it comes to providing a supporting cast for LeBron. The Cavs have started the season red-hot and are one of the early season favorites to win the championship (according to Vegas).

LeBron should be content with where he is right now and not even be thinking about a possible move TWO YEARS AWAY. It is just entirely unnecessary and a slap in the face to everyone involved in Cleveland.

Sure... the media (especially in New York) are pushing this issue and making it front page stuff. They are clearly bored and desperate. If the Knicks had an organization that was worthy of discussion (in terms of actual basketball), this would not even be a story. Because they are so absolutely pathetic, their sportswriters must find SOMETHING to fill their weekly column and it sure as hell isn't going to be about the best player on their team, David Lee.

Hopefully, this situation with Marbury will take some of these vultures' attention away from LeBron for a minute or two and we can go a couple of weeks without having to hear about this nonsense, but I doubt it.

That said, LeBron's cryptic responses to questions regarding 2010 have absolutely fueled the fire and it almost seems as though it is intentional on his part. As I stated earlier in this thread, LeBron seems like a pretty mature person when it comes to some things. However, at times, it is revealed that he still has some growing up to do. He seems to love the attention and it is really unbecoming. He and his management have handled this situation horribly and, although he brushed off Chuck's comments, I hope that he does think about what Barkley said.

Otherwise, he may end up alienating Cavalier fans for no good reason. They have been absolutely, 100-percent loyal to him and the favor should be returned in kind. The same goes for the Cavalier organization... they deserve better for the way that they've pushed all of their chips onto the center of the table in an attempt to build a real championship team in Cleveland.

That is my two cents.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 11-30-2008 at 09:44 PM.

Banned

It is a great marketing ploy for LeBron.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    He could easily quell all of the chatter by saying something to the effect of...

"I don't want to talk about something that is so far off... My only focus is bringing a championship to Cleveland. Anything past that is pure speculation."

That is really ALL he has to say... Not this cryptic non-sense about him being 'happy' that New York thinks it has a shot to get him and droning on and on about how great it is to play at MSG. He is clearly intentionally stoking the fire and it really is a slap in the face to fans in a city that adores him and a franchise that has done everything in an attempt to win a championship.

If this were a superstar on a team that continually misses the playoffs, switches coaches every year, plays in front of a half-empty arena, and management that refuses to spend money to bring in the help that is needed, I could understand a player mulling over this kind of situation in front of the media. Even then, I still think discussing something that is two years away is insane, especially considering how quickly dynamics change in the NBA. None of us really know where either the Cavs or the Knicks will be in two years and what situations may arise between now and then. But, if the Cavs and LeBron were facing the kind of problems that I listed above, I could sort of see this kind of thing being a valid discussion for a player.

But, these are not the circumstances that surround LeBron in Cleveland. The Cavs have one of the highest attendance numbers, both at home and on the road. They have been one of the best teams in the conference for years, going to the Finals two years ago and taking the eventual champs to the brink of elimination last season. The franchise has become one of the highest spenders in the league and money is no object when it comes to providing a supporting cast for LeBron. The Cavs have started the season red-hot and are one of the early season favorites to win the championship (according to Vegas).

LeBron should be content with where he is right now and not even be thinking about a possible move TWO YEARS AWAY. It is just entirely unnecessary and a slap in the face to everyone involved in Cleveland.

Sure... the media (especially in New York) are pushing this issue and making it front page stuff. They are clearly bored and desperate. If the Knicks had an organization that was worthy of discussion (in terms of actual basketball), this would not even be a story. Because they are so absolutely pathetic, their sportswriters must find SOMETHING to fill their weekly column and it sure as hell isn't going to be about the best player on their team, David Lee.

Hopefully, this situation with Marbury will take some of these vultures' attention away from LeBron for a minute or two and we can go a couple of weeks without having to hear about this nonsense, but I doubt it.

That said, LeBron's cryptic responses to questions regarding 2010 have absolutely fueled the fire and it almost seems as though it is intentional on his part. As I stated earlier in this thread, LeBron seems like a pretty mature person when it comes to some things. However, at times, it is revealed that he still has some growing up to do. He seems to love the attention and it is really unbecoming. He and his management have handled this situation horribly and, although he brushed off Chuck's comments, I hope that he does think about what Barkley said.

Otherwise, he may end up alienating Cavalier fans for no good reason. They have been absolutely, 100-percent loyal to him and the favor should be returned in kind. The same goes for the Cavalier organization... they deserve better for the way that they've pushed all of their chips onto the center of the table in an attempt to build a real championship team in Cleveland.

That is my two cents.
    Nice rant and all, but the bottom line is, he just enjoys the attention, and there isn't anything wrong with that, IMO. He clearly works hard for his success. Dude has 5% body fat, and is one of the first people to practice, and one of the last to leave. He takes an hour before every game to talk to the media, and he hardly ever takes the summer off.

He's been amusing himself with this stuff since before he joined the league. (he didn't choose a contract with Adidas, Reebok, etc. until the last minute, and didn't he wear Nike's to the Adidas camp, or vice versus?) He's always been seen smoozing with the celebrities in Madison Square Garden since he entered the league.

If you're gonna let stuff like this miff you, you're in for a long two years. I get way more irritated by the media bringing it up and the fans here, insisting they know what he's going to do, way more than the little jabs he puts in now and then.

Kid grew up pretty without a Dad (or at least a dead beat one) and only had his mom to raise him. Then comes out straight out of high school and has to make huge decisions and deal with all kinds of pressure. I think he's done pretty damn well for himself and deserves whatever he gets at this point.

Mathius

Serious playground baller

I think a lot of things barkley said been right. If you have any respect for ur own team/organization, you should be acting like barry bonds when someone ask you where u going to go when 2010 comes.

On Lebron's side, he does what he's gotta do for him and his family; yes. Its no big secret. I blame the media.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    Nice rant and all, but the bottom line is, he just enjoys the attention, and there isn't anything wrong with that, IMO. He clearly works hard for his success. Dude has 5% body fat, and is one of the first people to practice, and one of the last to leave. He takes an hour before every game to talk to the media, and he hardly ever takes the summer off.

He's been amusing himself with this stuff since before he joined the league. (he didn't choose a contract with Adidas, Reebok, etc. until the last minute, and didn't he wear Nike's to the Adidas camp, or vice versus?) He's always been seen smoozing with the celebrities in Madison Square Garden since he entered the league.

If you're gonna let stuff like this miff you, you're in for a long two years. I get way more irritated by the media bringing it up and the fans here, insisting they know what he's going to do, way more than the little jabs he puts in now and then.

Kid grew up pretty without a Dad (or at least a dead beat one) and only had his mom to raise him. Then comes out straight out of high school and has to make huge decisions and deal with all kinds of pressure. I think he's done pretty damn well for himself and deserves whatever he gets at this point.

Mathius
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying attention and wanting to be in the lime light. LeBron deserves all of the accolades and media attention that he gets. You certainly won't get an argument from me on that one.

I just don't particularly like the way he is handling this situation. I have worked pretty hard for the things that I have in my life, too. I'm sure my employer would be none too happy if I let it be known, publicly, that I might leave when my contract is up. Now... no one can predict the future and I may get a better offer from someone else, but that is something that I will deal with if and when the time comes.

Speculating about leaving would likely translate as me not being happy with my current position. Obviously, LeBron wields a lot more power at his job than I do at mine, but I think that a certain amount of respect is due to your employer, regardless of position.

I don't let LeBron's cryptic speculation 'bother me'... I just don't think it is the correct way to approach this situation.

As for his childhood... His mom actually gave him up when he was in grade school. He was taken care of by a family that lived outside of the bad area in Akron that he was born into. I believe she came back into his life during his teen years, after taking care of some drug problems that she was having.

Sure... he has pressure on him, but it sort of feels like he is adding to that pressure and making the media spotlight more intense by baiting the media on this matter. If it is a matter of him toying with the media and just having fun, so be it... But, he should probably know that, in the long run, that might be a mistake. They will turn on you in a second. I should know...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    There is nothing wrong with enjoying attention and wanting to be in the lime light. LeBron deserves all of the accolades and media attention that he gets. You certainly won't get an argument from me on that one.

I just don't particularly like the way he is handling this situation. I have worked pretty hard for the things that I have in my life, too. I'm sure my employer would be none too happy if I let it be known, publicly, that I might leave when my contract is up. Now... no one can predict the future and I may get a better offer from someone else, but that is something that I will deal with if and when the time comes.

Speculating about leaving would likely translate as me not being happy with my current position. Obviously, LeBron wields a lot more power at his job than I do at mine, but I think that a certain amount of respect is due to your employer, regardless of position.
    But then you don't have 22 other companies begging you to come do whatever you do for them when your current contract is up.

You guys keep missing the point that Lebron's not exactly running around talking about this crap. The media keeps bringing it up with every little thing that happens from just walking around with Wade and Bosch in China, to some stupid trades the Knicks made.

I don't let LeBron's cryptic speculation 'bother me'... I just don't think it is the correct way to approach this situation.

As for his childhood... His mom actually gave him up when he was in grade school. He was taken care of by a family that lived outside of the bad area in Akron that he was born into. I believe she came back into his life during his teen years, after taking care of some drug problems that she was having.
    That makes me have all the more respect for him. On one hand, sure, you know your mom is saying she's trying to make a better life for you, but on the other hand, she's separated from you, and as a young kid, you don't always understand that what's best for you might not be what you want.

Sure... he has pressure on him, but it sort of feels like he is adding to that pressure and making the media spotlight more intense by baiting the media on this matter. If it is a matter of him toying with the media and just having fun, so be it... But, he should probably know that, in the long run, that might be a mistake. They will turn on you in a second. I should know...
    <shrug> They already do. He's trying to handle the situation as neutrally as possible, and still be able to have fun and enjoy what he's doing. It's not an easy balance by any means.

Jordan was never perfect from his gambling habits and his criticism of teammates to his decision to drop everything and play baseball, but his legacy is untouchable.

Barkley was 100X worse than Jordan or Lebron, but there are kids in this thread today defending him. Barkley incited a whole media, AND parental outrage with his "I am not a role model" campaign with Nike. His on the court behavior wasn't exactly saintly either, and he had just as big a gambling problem as Jordan from what's coming out now.

Mathius
    Last edited by Mathius; 12-01-2008 at 11:48 AM.