Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Learning to shoot layups F.Sanford's Avatar

Default Re: 5 most overrated players ever

Quote Originally Posted by KB42PAH
    This is easy:

#1 and #2 should be on everyone' lists

1) Bill Russell: A one-dimensional defensive player similar to modern day Ben Wallace who won 11 rings in a watered down weak pathetic era.
    2) Larry Bird: Defensive liability, slow, weak, poor shooting mechanics, very overrated. 3 Straigh MVPs?? What a joke. He wouldn't even win one in this era.
    3) Wilt Chamberlain: Inflated stats, exaggerations, a myth if you will. 50/27 ?? he would be lucky to get 30/13 in todays game. He lied about everything -saying he had 50 inch vert and he slept with 20k women. He was the biggest volume shooter ever. Often taking upwards of 60+ FGA to score massive points.
    4) Lamar Odom: Completely Worthless, very low skill level, worst work ethic all time arguably.
    5) Toss up between Dominique Wilkins, Jerry West or Dr. J
    There should be some kind of penalty for anyone who mentions Larry Bird and "poor shooting mechanics" in the same sentence. And then to claim his era was weak!

Edit: Upon further examination I notice he named Dominique and Dr J. Case closed.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by F.Sanford
    There should be some kind of penalty for anyone who mentions Larry Bird and "poor shooting mechanics" in the same sentence. And then to claim his era was weak!

Edit: Upon further examination I notice he named Dominique and Dr J. Case closed.
    This is the same guy who said Kobe was the greatest jump shooter in the league and said that Michael Redd was a chucker with poor form

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KB42PAH
    Zone defense.

To bad other "greats' had it easy.
    So Billups and Parker is greater than Kobe than because evidently.

It's funny you mention the zone defense when it is the zone that Kobe kills in the regular season but then again he doesn't show up in the finals.

Was it the zone defense in 2000 against Indiana were he averaged 15.6 ppg and shot 37% as well?

Rational on Kobe ALlArOuNDPIaya's Avatar

This is easy:

#1 and #2 should be on everyone' lists

1) Bill Russell: A one-dimensional defensive player similar to modern day Ben Wallace who won 11 rings in a watered down weak pathetic era.
    2) Larry Bird: Defensive liability, slow, weak, poor shooting mechanics, very overrated. 3 Straigh MVPs?? What a joke. He wouldn't even win one in this era.
    3) Wilt Chamberlain: Inflated stats, exaggerations, a myth if you will. 50/27 ?? he would be lucky to get 30/13 in todays game. He lied about everything -saying he had 50 inch vert and he slept with 20k women. He was the biggest volume shooter ever. Often taking upwards of 60+ FGA to score massive points.
    4) Lamar Odom: Completely Worthless, very low skill level, worst work ethic all time arguably
    5) Toss up between Dominique Wilkins, Jerry West or Dr. J
    Idiot.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by TmacsRockets
    1. Kobe Bryant (compared to all time greats but hasn't shown he is on there level)

2. Wilt Chamberlain (a good player, but his numbers drop dramatically from the season to the playoffs)

3. Bill Russell (Dude shot under 44% for his career as a center)

4. Steve Nash (Has only been good for like 2-3 years in his career)

5. Elton Brand (only made the playoffs one time in his career)

Do you watch basketball or stats..you gotta be like 13 years old dude

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    I really have to agree with you on this people want to act like Jordan is a 10 and everyone else is a 7
    Actually, I think everyone else is a 9. It is just that MJ is a 15.

Side note to another poster: Dominique is not overrated on ISH, he is WAY underrated. Dude was sick.

IMO Underrated on ISH: Dumars, Wilkins, Karl Malone, Ruland, Oscar, Isiah, Worthy, Mullen, Ewing.

IMO Overrated on ISH: Kemp, Olajuwon, Kidd, KJ, Rodman, Mchale. (Olajuwon was a monster though)
    Last edited by BIZARRO; 11-17-2008 at 03:20 PM.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIZARRO

Side note to another poster: Dominique is not overrated on ISH, he is WAY underrated. Dude was sick.

IMO Underrated on ISH: Dumars, Wilkins, Karl Malone, Ruland, Oscar, Isiah, Worthy, Mullen, Ewing.

IMO Overrated on ISH: Kemp, Olajuwon, Kidd, KJ, Rodman, Mchale. (Olajuwon was a monster though)
    Who overrates Hakeem?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    5 A Sabonis One of the first of the big soft Euro players he was so soft he makes Dirk look like KImbo Slice
    I'm not sure what you're implication is here. Kimbo Slice is a bum that can't fight a lick. That has been proven now. So Sabonis was so soft that he makes Dirk look soft? Great reasoning.

James Worthy belongs at the top of this list. Very good player, but if he's top-50 all-time then I'm 7-foot-8 (I'm really 6-2).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BIZARRO

Oscar? I think you meant to put him in the "overrated" group of stat-stuffing phonies who never won jack sh!t without riding the coattails of a much better player. Oscar would be worse than Jason Kidd if he played today.

Overrated - Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Magic Johnson, Chauncey Billups

Underrated - Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Dominique Wilkins, Vince Carter, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Gilbert Arenas

Quote Originally Posted by Stiff #1
    Oscar? I think you meant to put him in the "overrated" group of stat-stuffing phonies who never won jack sh!t without riding the coattails of a much better player.
    And yet players like T-mac in their prime (and healthy) haven't won, Kobe hasn't won without that description of "riding the coattails of a much better player", KG didn't win until he matched up on a monster squad, Nash hasn't won a championship, etc etc. Does that mean they are "stat stuffing phonies"? While his success as a Royal was disappointing with Jerry Lucas, he was able to take the Celtics to a game 7, and almost interrupted their championship streak. They probably would have if Stokes was healthy at that time. Think about that. And people who played against him said he was one of the best ever, and some think he is the best ever. That's from people who saw that era. Why are you so quick to judge him considering some of the great talents in today's game who haven't won?

Oscar would be worse than Jason Kidd if he played today.
    Based upon what? Your own subjective opinion? Tell me: how much of Oscar's career and Jason's career have you seen?

Overrated - Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jerry West, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Reggie Miller, Magic Johnson, Chauncey Billups

Underrated - Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Dominique Wilkins, Vince Carter, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Gilbert Arenas
    Ok, now I'm starting to think you have made a sarcastic post...
    Last edited by Showtime; 12-16-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TmacsRockets
    1. Kobe Bryant (compared to all time greats but hasn't shown he is on there level)

2. Wilt Chamberlain (a good player, but his numbers drop dramatically from the season to the playoffs)

3. Bill Russell (Dude shot under 44% for his career as a center)

4. Steve Nash (Has only been good for like 2-3 years in his career)

5. Elton Brand (only made the playoffs one time in his career)
    T-mac - can't lead his team past the first round

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    And yet players like T-mac in their prime (and healthy) haven't won, Kobe hasn't won without that description of "riding the coattails of a much better player", KG didn't win until he matched up on a monster squad, Nash hasn't won a championship, etc etc. Does that mean they are "stat stuffing phonies"? While his success as a Royal was disappointing with Jerry Lucas, he was able to take the Celtics to a game 7, and almost interrupted their championship streak. They probably would have if Stokes was healthy at that time. Think about that. And people who played against him said he was one of the best ever, and some think he is the best ever. That's from people who saw that era. Why are you so quick to judge him considering some of the great talents in today's game who haven't won?

Couldn't have said it better myself. Many who watched Oscar do still consider him the best ever, even more in the top couple; voted "Player Of The Century" by NBA coaches in 2000, voted #3 by Slam in 2003, etc..

In fact, his post comparing Oscar to Jason "39%" Kidd is a better example of Oscar being underrated on here (and Kidd being overrated) than any other I could have thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash-tastic
    Who overrates Hakeem?
    You make my point for me. Just as Psileas had mentioned, Hakeem was incredible. A two way force, tremendous playoff performer, but........when you put him (as some on here do) as the greatest center over Kareem and Wilt, that = overrating, as IMO he wasn't.

I usually hit open layups

I've never really understood the concept that players who don't win aren't actually great players. Look at Kevin Garnett. People used to ***** and moan about KG's inability to lead his team. After he wins a championship, he gets praised for bringing another title to Bean Town.