Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: 5 most overrated players ever

[QUOTE=BULLS][LIST=1][*]Jerry West

Quote Originally Posted by TmacsRockets
    1. Kobe Bryant (compared to all time greats but hasn't shown he is on there level)

2. Wilt Chamberlain (a good player, but his numbers drop dramatically from the season to the playoffs)

3. Bill Russell (Dude shot under 44% for his career as a center)

4. Steve Nash (Has only been good for like 2-3 years in his career)

5. Elton Brand (only made the playoffs one time in his career)
    U get a double for the Bill Russell diss. Considering that Bill never cared about offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLS
    You are right that Ruth would be useless in today’s MLB. That’s why I find it hilarious when people try to argue that he’s the GOAT. It’s also why I’ve been saying for the last few years that Barry Bonds is indisputably the greatest baseball player to ever live. He makes Ruth look like a AAA bum.
    are u kidding me?? barry bonds?? HGH?????

a-rod and pujols will be considered the best players ever when they retire. its still willie mays for now though. f*ck bonds.

1. Why is anyone replying to BULLS? Are you just as stupid as he is?
    2. Hit the report icon and send the message to Jeff. Get him off this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Niquesports
    1 Stefon Mulburry Star ego with a average players game.Everytime he leaves a team that team gets better.
    He was at one time in the discussion for best PG in the league, but his talent wasn't the question. His mind, however, was the problem. I don't consider him overrated because he isn't really rated that high to begin with now. He really could have been that good, because he was that talented.

2 Bill Walton Only 3 great years and he's a TOP 50 player and HOF
    That is mainly due to him not being able to stay healthy, but that doesn't mean he didn't have HOF talent. His college career was one of the best ever, and when he was healthy, he was a MVP and NBA champion, which says something IMO.

3 Vince Carter Great dunker gifted player and it all adds up he good not great.
    I think he was overrated a few years ago when people were talking about him as being one of the top 5 players in the game, and him getting all star spots that he didn't deserve IMO (like starting despite only playing a few games due to injury). He could have been one of the best players of all time because he was probably one of the 3 or 4 most physically gifted players to ever step on a court. So in that sense, I think it's more of not reaching his potential than being overrated now.

4 Shawn Kemp had a few years with some good numbers but for the most part he was better at making babies than basketball
    I don't think people overrate him. They think about him pretty accurately IMO. He was a freakishly athletic PF who helped the Sonics rise to the top, but there were limitations in his game and he isn't considered one of the best PFs ever, so where is the overrating?

5 A Sabonis One of the first of the big soft Euro players he was so soft he makes Dirk look like KImbo Slice
    Did you even see any of his career?

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    1. Why is anyone replying to BULLS? Are you just as stupid as he is?
    2. Hit the report icon and send the message to Jeff. Get him off this site.
    jeff wants bulls here.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    He was at one time in the discussion for best PG in the league, but his talent wasn't the question. His mind, however, was the problem. I don't consider him overrated because he isn't really rated that high to begin with now. He really could have been that good, because he was that talented.

I never thought of him being a TOp PG he may have the talent but he did lead his team after trades other players came in and did what he couldnt do Kidds Nash

That is mainly due to him not being able to stay healthy, but that doesn't mean he didn't have HOF talent. His college career was one of the best ever, and when he was healthy, he was a MVP and NBA champion, which says something IMO.

Having HOF talent and a TOp 50 of all time production is two different things.I will agree because of his UCLA time he gets in the HOF

I think he was overrated a few years ago when people were talking about him as being one of the top 5 players in the game, and him getting all star spots that he didn't deserve IMO (like starting despite only playing a few games due to injury). He could have been one of the best players of all time because he was probably one of the 3 or 4 most physically gifted players to ever step on a court. So in that sense, I think it's more of not reaching his potential than being overrated now.

This is the problem he had LBJ talent and he just doesnt get it done night in night out.

I don't think people overrate him. They think about him pretty accurately IMO. He was a freakishly athletic PF who helped the Sonics rise to the top, but there were limitations in his game and he isn't considered one of the best PFs ever, so where is the overrating?

Did you even see any of his career?
    You make some very valid points many of my picks were just that players that didnt play up to the level of there potential.With the exception of walton

The "most overrated ever" thing is clearly a matter of personal taste. A player who gets a lot of love but you don't believe he was that great, that should be an "overrated" one for you. "All-overrated" lists have to be controversial, they have to include popular players. A player who enters the "all-overrated" lists a lot of times can't be called overrated, but controversial. Therefore,

1) I can't call guys like Kobe or Pippen overrated, because for every guy who claims Kobe to be the GOAT or Pippen to have been a top-2 player in the league for the early-mid 90's, there's another guy who believes that Pippen would be just another player without Jordan or just Knoe for Kobe.

2) I can't understand the choices of 60's-70's players, as long as only few internet posters care to talk about them, very few know much about them, few consider them really great and there are a lot of negative myths circled about them around the internet. With all this, I don't see the logic behind calling any of these "overrated", at least among forum members. I could justify this if forums were spread with 50-60 year-olds, trying to relive their days and glorify their generation. Find me a forum where 8-9 of the top 10 players ever are considered to be pre-80's ones and I'll agree that in that forum, they're getting overrated. But as long as this is far from the truth, old-timers nowadays are anything but overrated. By dads and grandads, maybe. By kids and teens, not even close.

That said, I'll pick certain players popular enough today to consider them overrated. Funny thing is, I don't dislike any of these players overall:

1) Hakeem--He's a top-10 player ever in my book. He's a top playoff performer. He's one of the greatest 2-way players ever. But, no, he's NOT the best center ever. Not in front of Wilt, Kareem and tough to put in front of

2) Sabonis--My all-time favorite European big man ever. Yet, he's getting too much credit at times. Beating Robinson, for example, in the '88 Olympics was a fine moment for him, but people make it seem like he totally dominated him for a whole series of game, ala '95 Hakeem.

3) Maravich--The most celebrated old-timer nowadays. To be fair, there are quite a few who also find his career overrated, but still, a lot of mentions for the #1 position among NCAA GOAT's. For a guy who never led his teams to the elite-8? Please.
    Maravich with Jerry West's fundamentals and way of playing would draw no-one's attention today, and that overrates him even more.

4) Grant Hill--The guy who, like someone once said, seemed to have no haters. He came as the next big thing. He beat Jordan and anyone else in All-Star voting some year in the late 90's. He is still considered by many to have been at least as good as prime Kobe or TMac. And yet, he never came even close to winning squat with his team. He played in 22 playoff games, including 7 past his prime.

5) MJ--Yikes, I can sense the wrath of a lot of you right now, but, like I said, all-overrated lists have to be controversial. Best playoff performer ever? I think so. GOAT? Possibly. Top-3 player ever? Sure. 5 times better than anyone else to have ever played the game? Hell, no. But while viewing a poll of an average forum, you get the impression that he doesn't have even close GOAT competitors. I can't pretend that it doesn't happen, because it does. Maybe if it's not correct to say that fans overrate him, then it is correct to say that they underrate all the others.

BTW, if we were living in about 2000-04, I'd agree on Kemp. Back then I'd hear a lot of guys be like "oh man, mid-90's, prime Kemp was as good as Malone and Barkley", which he wasn't.

Banned

This is easy:

#1 and #2 should be on everyone' lists

1) Bill Russell: A one-dimensional defensive player similar to modern day Ben Wallace who won 11 rings in a watered down weak pathetic era.
    2) Larry Bird: Defensive liability, slow, weak, poor shooting mechanics, very overrated. 3 Straigh MVPs?? What a joke. He wouldn't even win one in this era.
    3) Wilt Chamberlain: Inflated stats, exaggerations, a myth if you will. 50/27 ?? he would be lucky to get 30/13 in todays game. He lied about everything -saying he had 50 inch vert and he slept with 20k women. He was the biggest volume shooter ever. Often taking upwards of 60+ FGA to score massive points.
    4) Lamar Odom: Completely Worthless, very low skill level, worst work ethic all time arguably.
    5) Toss up between Dominique Wilkins, Jerry West or Dr. J
    Last edited by KB42PAH; 11-15-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    The "most overrated ever" thing is clearly a matter of personal taste. A player who gets a lot of love but you don't believe he was that great, that should be an "overrated" one for you. "All-overrated" lists have to be controversial, they have to include popular players. A player who enters the "all-overrated" lists a lot of times can't be called overrated, but controversial. Therefore,

1) I can't call guys like Kobe or Pippen overrated, because for every guy who claims Kobe to be the GOAT or Pippen to have been a top-2 player in the league for the early-mid 90's, there's another guy who believes that Pippen would be just another player without Jordan or just Knoe for Kobe.

2) I can't understand the choices of 60's-70's players, as long as only few internet posters care to talk about them, very few know much about them, few consider them really great and there are a lot of negative myths circled about them around the internet. With all this, I don't see the logic behind calling any of these "overrated", at least among forum members. I could justify this if forums were spread with 50-60 year-olds, trying to relive their days and glorify their generation. Find me a forum where 8-9 of the top 10 players ever are considered to be pre-80's ones and I'll agree that in that forum, they're getting overrated. But as long as this is far from the truth, old-timers nowadays are anything but overrated. By dads and grandads, maybe. By kids and teens, not even close.

That said, I'll pick certain players popular enough today to consider them overrated. Funny thing is, I don't dislike any of these players overall:

1) Hakeem--He's a top-10 player ever in my book. He's a top playoff performer. He's one of the greatest 2-way players ever. But, no, he's NOT the best center ever. Not in front of Wilt, Kareem and tough to put in front of
    I cant agree with you on Hakeem few rank him ahead of Willt or jabbar and its can easliy be argued that hes somewhere between 3 and 5 so I think he's right where he belongs

2) Sabonis--My all-time favorite European big man ever. Yet, he's getting too much credit at times. Beating Robinson, for example, in the '88 Olympics was a fine moment for him, but people make it seem like he totally dominated him for a whole series of game, ala '95 Hakeem.

3) Maravich--The most celebrated old-timer nowadays. To be fair, there are quite a few who also find his career overrated, but still, a lot of mentions for the #1 position among NCAA GOAT's. For a guy who never led his teams to the elite-8? Please.
    Maravich with Jerry West's fundamentals and way of playing would draw no-one's attention today, and that overrates him even more.

Im not sure if Pistol is overrated he was a great scorer and exciting passer and thats all hes really know for.

4) Grant Hill--The guy who, like someone once said, seemed to have no haters. He came as the next big thing. He beat Jordan and anyone else in All-Star voting some year in the late 90's. He is still considered by many to have been at least as good as prime Kobe or TMac. And yet, he never came even close to winning squat with his team. He played in 22 playoff games, including 7 past his prime.

I think its more of media love with Duke players than Hill not living up to his hype. Injuries killed a very promising career.

5) MJ--Yikes, I can sense the wrath of a lot of you right now, but, like I said, all-overrated lists have to be controversial. Best playoff performer ever? I think so. GOAT? Possibly. Top-3 player ever? Sure. 5 times better than anyone else to have ever played the game? Hell, no. But while viewing a poll of an average forum, you get the impression that he doesn't have even close GOAT competitors. I can't pretend that it doesn't happen, because it does. Maybe if it's not correct to say that fans overrate him, then it is correct to say that they underrate all the others.
    I really have to agree with you on this people want to act like Jordan is a 10 and everyone else is a 7

Quote Originally Posted by KB42PAH
    1) Bill Russell: A one-dimensional defensive player similar to modern day Ben Wallace who won 11 rings in a watered down weak pathetic era.
    He wasn't one dimensional, because he didn't just do one thing. Not only was he a fantastic rebounder, but he was a great defender and shot blocker. He was also a great passer, and he was able to score points at a higher rate than most people think. He just didn't need to score. That's the difference between your Ben Wallace example, because he didn't even have the capability to be the second leading scorer. Oh, and Bill won a championship as a player/coach. How one dimensional can he be if he could do all that?

2) Larry Bird: Defensive liability, slow, weak, poor shooting mechanics, very overrated. 3 Straigh MVPs?? What a joke. He wouldn't even win one in this era.
    lol and before MJ, was considered the best in the league and in the GOAT discussion. If Dirk can take a team to the finals, Bird would win several.

3) Wilt Chamberlain: Inflated stats, exaggerations, a myth if you will. 50/27 ?? he would be lucky to get 30/13 in todays game. He lied about everything -saying he had 50 inch vert and he slept with 20k women. He was the biggest volume shooter ever. Often taking upwards of 60+ FGA to score massive points.
    It's not his fault who he played against, just like it wasn't Shaq's fault that he was able to win championships only when the centers were weak/old. If you are going to hold his competition against him, then that counts for everybody.

4) Lamar Odom: Completely Worthless, very low skill level, worst work ethic all time arguably.
    Odom has never been an all star. Yet, he has been key to LA's success in the past. Nobody considers him a top 5 forward, so how is he overrated?

lol

This is easy:

#1 and #2 should be on everyone' lists

You should be in everyone's ignore lists, like you will in mine. Let's make a case for Kobe as well:

-Massive ego, who still never dominated his competition as the absolute best ones did in their time.
    -Horrible decision-maker, has no problem taking 40+ shots regardless of whether he is hot or not or take 3-pt fade-aways in front of double teamming. Kobe playing for the 80's Celtics would get murdered by his teammates.
    -Blew up the series against the Pistons, refusing to pass to Shaq, with the Lakers losing to the outsider.
    -Won only 1 MVP.
    -Missed the playoffs completely in 2005, with Odom and Butler in his team.
    -He failed to lead the Lakers in any serious playoff runs during his 35 & 32 ppg seasons. Actually, he altered his game in 2005 in order for the Lakers to be competitive.
    -He tried to get into Shaq's head even at the time when he was still on the rise, while
    -He has yet to produce a historic Finals' series and win a Finals MVP.

GOAT? Not while considering all this stuff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    He wasn't one dimensional, because he didn't just do one thing. Not only was he a fantastic rebounder, but he was a great defender and shot blocker. He was also a great passer, and he was able to score points at a higher rate than most people think. He just didn't need to score. That's the difference between your Ben Wallace example, because he didn't even have the capability to be the second leading scorer. Oh, and Bill won a championship as a player/coach. How one dimensional can he be if he could do all that?
    Fact is he wasn't' a dominant scorer or great player on the offensive end. He lacked the versatiliy of today's big men.

Rasheed Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Dwight, Tim Duncan, Amare, Shaq all blow him out of the water.

lol and before MJ, was considered the best in the league and in the GOAT discussion. If Dirk can take a team to the finals, Bird would win several.
    Ya by a bunch of people from kansas and indiana. Big deal. We know race was a factor in his 3 consecutive MVPs - theyve even talked about this on ESPN. Lebron and Pippen are both way better than bird, I guess they must also be the best players of all time before MJ. Shows how weak the 80s were. Go watch full games from the 80s , its pathetic basketball really.

It's not his fault who he played against, just like it wasn't Shaq's fault that he was able to win championships only when the centers were weak/old. If you are going to hold his competition against him, then that counts for everybody.
    His stats were inflated BIG TIME. He was the most selfish player ever, biggest volume shooter ever - yet no one talks about it. It took him 63 FGA and 28 FTA to score 100 points, kobe did it on 46 FGA and 20 FTA. Kobe takes 30 shots and people go crazy , imagine what they would do with Wilt who regularalyt between 40-60 shots per game.

Odom has never been an all star. Yet, he has been key to LA's success in the past. Nobody considers him a top 5 forward, so how is he overrated?
    They media says he is most versatile player in nba, the next magic johnson and that he is so valuable and that he is high iq . None of that is true.

He is only good at getting charges, missing and 1 continuations, clanking long jumpshots, and going 1 direction.

Oh, and something I forgot about Sabonis' case. Even if he was healthy, he would not be a GOAT center candidate. Among all the valid or even a little weaker candidates (Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Hakeem), he'd easily be the worst defender. In order to close the gap, he'd have to be better offensively, and I could only see him overtake Russell in that field.