Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Default Re: David Robinson or Kobe Bryant, the greater player

Kobe

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Piercethetruth
    Who was better?

David Robinson is 4th all time in efficiency behind Jordan, Shaq and Wilt and he was putting up 24 and 12 even as a rookie.
    its Kobe and it really isn't close.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    its Kobe and it really isn't close.
    Are you serious?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Are you serious?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    yes
    Okay just checking because it seems like people here find it hard to believe that a sane person could pick Kobe over Robinson, unless that person happens to be a "Kobe homer".

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    Okay just checking because it seems like people here find it hard to believe that a sane person could pick Kobe over Robinson, unless that person happens to be a "Kobe homer".
    personally I am not a Kobe fan. But this one is easy. Kobe is a couple of tiers ahead Robinson all time.

College superstar

You always take an elite big man over a two guard unless that two guard is named Michael Jordan. Even then...

As for "greatness" it's obviously Kobe. The same way Cousy is "greater" than, say, Mitch Richmond, even though we all understand who'd we actually take when making a team and we have the pick.
    Last edited by stephanieg; 10-12-2008 at 02:55 PM.

I usually hit open layups

why do people always start these stupid threads just to bash kobe bryant? god.

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I take Robinson. Very underrated and often has his career defined on ISH as the guy who got owned by Hakeem in his MVP year in the playoffs.

The guy was a brilliant center in the 90's, though never really had the stars that Tim Duncan his counterpart had in his prime. In my eyes David Robinson is a better player then Duncan, though Duncan has simply achieved more.
    There is NO SUCH THING as "so on so is better, but so and just achieved more!" Achievement is the proof that all-time great players are greater than lesser players.

Dominique Wilkins or Jordan? Easy. Both had the stats, jaw-dropping, athleticism- but one has has done it all in the game about 6 times or more, the other never advanced past the first round.

My point? Achievement is what separates great players from lesser ones. Duncan accomplished more than Robinson? He's greater. Jordan more than Wilkins? He's greater.

Put simply, don't get so smart that you're stupid.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TmacsRockets

How so? Kobe has never lead in PER.
    Who the f*ck cares about PER?

At least Kobe has gotten to a final without Shaq.

Robinson never got a sniff before Duncan came along.

This is a stupid comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by poeticism707
    There is NO SUCH THING as "so on so is better, but so and just achieved more!" Achievement is the proof that all-time great players are greater than lesser players.

Dominique Wilkins or Jordan? Easy. Both had the stats, jaw-dropping, athleticism- but one has has done it all in the game about 6 times or more, the other never advanced past the first round.

My point? Achievement is what separates great players from lesser ones. Duncan accomplished more than Robinson? He's greater. Jordan more than Wilkins? He's greater.

Put simply, don't get so smart that you're stupid.
    Great post. This thread is filled with some of the stupidest posts I think I've ever read on ISH. 15 year old kids wanting to bank on meaningless stats, and though they've probably never seen many of the players they want to opine on, they feel the need to talk out of their asses anyway.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by poeticism707
    Actually, yes there is. You see, teams win championships and advance deep into the playoffs, not players. You can put the best player on a terrible team and they're not going to do anything.

It's easy to make a case for Jordan > Wilkins without ever referencing what their teams did. It was generally understood that Jordan was much better even when Jordan was on .500 teams.

Actually...I agree. Rajon Rondo is greater than Gary Payton. Although we all understand who is actually a better player and who we would take as a PG of our fantasy team.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg
    Actually, yes there is. You see, teams win championships and advance deep into the playoffs, not players. You can put the best player on a terrible team and they're not going to do anything.

It's easy to make a case for Jordan > Wilkins without ever referencing what their teams did. It was generally understood that Jordan was much better even when Jordan was on .500 teams.

Actually...I agree. Rajon Rondo is greater than Gary Payton. Although we all understand who is actually a better player and who we would take as a PG of our fantasy team.
    I think it's safe to say you're splitting hairs here.

I mean, I know what you're saying, but achievements is what separates the very good players from the great players, and separates All-Star careers, and Hall-of-Fame careers.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by catzhernandez
    I think it's safe to say you're splitting hairs here.
    No. I'm just tired of people ranking players by what their teams do. Put Larry Bird on the 1980 Warriors or some other awful team and people would laugh at the idea that he's the best small forward ever...but he still would be.

Local High School Star poeticism707's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stephanieg

This is isn't football or baseblall, where one individual, even a pitcher or quaterback, aren't the end all and the be all.

THIS IS BASKETBALL. ONE GREAT PLAYER CAN COMPLETELY CHANGE A TEAM AND IT'S FORTUNES, BECAUSE A GREAT PLAYER WILL IMPACT BOTH OFFENSE AND DEFENSE.

Also, Jordan is Jordan BECAUSE OF WHAT HE ACCOMPLISHED- NOT IN SPITE OF IT!!!

This is like ABC's, very simple.