Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Who is the best defensive shooting guard of all time?

Phil would never ask Jordan to guard Rajon Rondo in the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa

That's because Jordan would be guarding either Ray Allen or Paul Pierce. What made him and Scottie Pippen so good was because they were both very athletic players that could guard just about any shooting guard or small forward. Jordan and Pippen could switch and still limit the opposing player to a certain number of points.

Jordan is the best defensive shooting guard in terms of statistics. He was a 6'5" shooting guard that could average 3 SPG and 1.5 BPG. If you're talking about putting up intangibles, Joe Dumars would win that in my opinion. Dumars was an excellent defender that often gave Jordan trouble and Jordan even admitted this. Dumars provided many intangibles which did not appear on the scoresheet. Dumars made quite a number of All-Defensive teams and rightfully so. He was quite underrated because he played with Isiah Thomas.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    wow. dumbass.

anyways, i think the best defensive shooting guard of all time would have to be scottie pippen. he consistently brought it at the defensive end and the same can't be said about jordan. michael played great defense, don't get me wrong, but there were times near the end of his career where michael only played defense in the 4th quarters.

however, if michael jordan had played a lesser role on the offensive end during his years with the bulls, he would probably be considered the best defensive shooting guard ever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers (KB24)
    wow. dumbass.

anyways, i think the best defensive shooting guard of all time would have to be scottie pippen. he consistently brought it at the defensive end and the same can't be said about jordan. michael played great defense, don't get me wrong, but there were times near the end of his career where michael only played defense in the 4th quarters.

however, if michael jordan had played a lesser role on the offensive end during his years with the bulls, he would probably be considered the best defensive shooting guard ever.
    Scottie was a SF, not a SG, and he almost exclusively guarded SF's during his career with Chicago. So no, Scottie is not the best defensive SG ever because he was never a SG.

Jordan, even in 1998 at age 35, had more defensive impact on games than almost any wing player today has. Go watch the Indiana series from '98 for evidence. Clamping down on lightning quick Travis Best when he was burning Kerr/Harper; stopping 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 breaks repeatedly; denying Jalen Rose time and time again in isos and post ups; disrupting post play from the weak and strong side; making game saving blocks on perimeter rotations. You're crazy.
    Last edited by Loki; 10-04-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Scottie was a SF, not a SG, and he almost exclusively guarded SF's during his career with Chicago. So no, Scottie is not the best defensive SG ever because he was never a SG.

Jordan, even in 1998 at age 35, had more defensive impact on games than almost any wing player today has. Go watch the Indiana series from '98 for evidence. Clamping down on lightning quick Jamal Tinsley when he was burning Kerr/Harper; stopping 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 breaks repeatedly; denying Jalen Rose time and time again in isos and post ups; disrupting post play from the weak and strong side. You're crazy.

Jordan's defense was huge in that series. When the Pacers won games 3 and 4, Jordan stepped up his game and provided excellent all-around defense, in addition to his scoring. With the exception of their series against the Bulls in 1992, this series was the Bulls' toughest one during any of their three-peats.

Learning to shoot layups

Jordan, even in 1998 at age 35, had more defensive impact on games than almost any wing player today has. Go watch the Indiana series from '98 for evidence. Clamping down on lightning quick Jamal Tinsley when he was burning Kerr/Harper; stopping 2-on-1 and 3-on-1 breaks repeatedly; denying Jalen Rose time and time again in isos and post ups; disrupting post play from the weak and strong side; making game saving blocks on perimeter rotations. You're crazy.
    jamaal tinsley wasn't even in the nba during the 1998 season. so i guess you're the crazy one lol.

Banned

jamaal tinsley wasn't even in the nba during the 1998 season. so i guess you're the crazy one lol.
    Wrong name. I meant Travis Best. My bad - had my Indy PG's confused.

Local High School Star

Travis Best he means.

Learning to shoot layups

Wrong name. I meant Travis Best. My bad - had my Indy PG's confused.
    lol yeah i figured that's who you meant. i'm pretty sure i could guard jamaal tinsley. it's too bad he's been injury prone and suffered from a disease called dumbassism, he looked good his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Name a SG that is better than Kobe defensively that I didn't nominate.
    Don't feel bad, people just really do't like Kobe here so even if you rank him amog all-time greats they feel offended. I wish people would grow up, nobody has listed him as there pick for best all-time and hes clearly no higher than #4 but can be argued as high as that.

Doug Christie easily should be mentioned in this thread right?