3-time NBA All-Star

Default Why did the Hawks trade Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning in 1994?

I've always wondered what was up with this trade, and if someone knows the details, please let me know. Atlanta had one of the best records at the time of the trade, and tied for the best record in the East with the Knicks by the end of the year, but midway through the year, they traded their best player, Dominique Wilkins, to the Clippers for Danny Manning.

Nique was the Hawks best player, had been for 12 years, but then they trade him while the Hawks were having their best season since he arrived? And this was the first season of Nique's career, that neither Bird's Celtics, the Bad Boy Pistons, or Jordan's Bulls were standing in the way. And to top it off, Danny Manning was nowhere near as good as Nique. He was a guy that put up good stats on a bad team, the Clippers. With the Hawks, he was a 16 ppg/6.5 rpg/3.3 apg player, while Nique was averaging 24.4 ppg/6.2 rpg/2.3 apg before he got traded. Before the all-star break that year, the Hawks were 34-13 with Nique, while after the all-star break, they were 23-12 with Manning. They still ended up tying for the best record in the East, and only 6 games behind the best record in the league. With Nique instead of Manning, its not far-fetched to think they could've had the best record in the league, and they definitely would have had the best record in the East and no ties. I really don't see them losing to the 4th seeded Pacers in the 2nd round with Nique, and would've had a great chance at making the Finals.

Default Re: Why did the Hawks trade Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning in 1994?

wow tried doing some research to solve your question, but i found this bit that i did not know.

However, Wilkins would not fit in and after one year with the Celts went abroad to play for the Panathinkaikos Athens of the Greek League for the 95-96 season. In the land of cool mythology and olive oil, Nique put up numbers like he was a Hawk still, averaging 20.9 points and 7 rebounds for the season. Even though Dom was named as the MVP of the European Final Four, he desired to return to the NBA.

Default Re: Why did the Hawks trade Dominique Wilkins for Danny Manning in 1994?

Danny Manning was looking like the next big star. He had all the talent in the wolrd and wanted out of LA. Wilkins liked LA too, the Hawks got a 1st round pick along with Manning. The Hawks thought Wilkins, although very popular in ATL, was a more one dimensional player than Manning. Lenny Wilkens loved Manning's game and looked for him to be a player like Grant Hill during their run later that season. Turned out Manning wouldnt stay in ATL for long either.

Things turned out not so good for the Hawks. Manning signed with Phoenix after only half a season in ATL, and their first round pick would become Greg Minor who lived up to his last name.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    Danny Manning was looking like the next big star. He had all the talent in the wolrd and wanted out of LA. Wilkins liked LA too, the Hawks got a 1st round pick along with Manning. The Hawks thought Wilkins, although very popular in ATL, was a more one dimensional player than Manning. Lenny Wilkens loved Manning's game and looked for him to be a player like Grant Hill during their run later that season. Turned out Manning wouldnt stay in ATL for long either.

Things turned out not so good for the Hawks. Manning signed with Phoenix after only half a season in ATL, and their first round pick would become Greg Minor who lived up to his last name.
    i thought the clippers got the 1st rd pick in that deal? Minor was drafted by the clipps

3-time NBA All-Star

Thanks for the info. It still sounds like a dumb move to me. Why mess with what was working so well at the time half-way through the season, especially when its not like Nique was demanding a trade, and the fans loved him?

You're aboslutely right. And rightfuly so, since Danny Manning was about to become the goat.

This is pretty much on the mark.

Also Dominique was on the downside of his career, and the Hawks wanted to get something in return, rather than watch his game completely deteriorate.

And there the issue of a contract extension and his age.

And Dominique's game didn't mesh with Lenny Wilkens's game.

He also tore his acl the year before right? Since thos einjuries often were career ending I feel like the Hawks might not be comfortable with Wilkins. Not sure, but it could have been a part of it.

National High School Star

He also tore his acl the year before right? Since thos einjuries often were career ending I feel like the Hawks might not be comfortable with Wilkins. Not sure, but it could have been a part of it.
    Tore his achilles tendon.

"Strictly by the numbers" I don't think the Hawks made a bad trade. Considering the talented Hawks never got beyond the second round in 11 years of so with NIQUE.

Manning was 27 & Nique was 34 & wasn't happy with his contract situation.. I only find fault with doing it mid season & not having Manining signed long term since he simply walked away at the end of the season. The Hawks essentially got "nothing" for their most popular player ever

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Tore his achilles tendon.

"Strictly by the numbers" I don't think the Hawks made a bad trade. Considering the talented Hawks never got beyond the second round in 11 years of so with NIQUE.

Manning was 27 & Nique was 34 & wasn't happy with his contract situation.. I only find fault with doing it mid season & not having Manining signed long term since he simply walked away at the end of the season. The Hawks essentially got "nothing" for their most popular player ever
    Its not just that they did it midseason, but they were also having their most successful season in the Nique era with no Eastern Conference powerhouses in their way for once.

I remember reading about how Dominique was driving in his car and heard on the radio that he had been traded to the Clippers. Didn't even hear the news from his agent or the team first.

They were both unrestricted free agents and I believe that Manning had expressed that he was not interested in re-signing with the Clippers

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Its not just that they did it midseason, but they were also having their most successful season in the Nique era with no Eastern Conference powerhouses in their way for once.
    They were having a good season with Nique(36-16 according to hoopsanalyst) & 21-9 without. So there wasn't much fall off with Manning instead of the 34 year old Nique. I thik Nique was pressing hard for big money which the Hawks did not want to pay a 34 year old player.

I feel the Pacers & Knicks were the two best teams in the East & the Hawks would have struggled with either one & maybe even the Magic with a young Shaq & Penny.

"PR wise" I feel like they could have handled the situation better ,but Nique's best teams & seasons were behind him. "Strategy wise" it would have been a good trade had they(Hawks)agreed on something long term with Manning before trading for him. Nique never made it of the 2nd round in 10 or 11 years & Manning equalled that in one season.

Too much is made of this trade & the Hawks fans(if there are any true Hawk fans left) are still angry about it.