Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

Default Re: Phil Jackson: Rodman is the greatest athlete I've ever coached

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I'm so proud of each and every one of you morons for living up to my expectations and debating Rodman's physical gifts when the point I was making is this:

Rodman was the most gifted rebounder and defender of his era for one simple reason. He worked harder at it than anyone else and put more mental focus into it than anyone else.

If he had devoted that kind of work ethic and mental focus into offense, he'd have given MJ a run for his money. But Rodman didn't give a damn about offense.

How funny is that moron who said that Rodman wasn't coordinated.

Right. That's why he had such great body control on defense to guard anyone from Kevin Johnson on the weak side to Shaquille O'Neal on the strong side.

It's sad what this new generation of basketball fans find relevant. Basketball IQ's are falling into the toilet at an alarming rate. You don't see someone throw down a 360 or knock down a 3 pointer, and you assume they just can't do it, EVER.

Nevermind the fact that Rodman didn't WANT to play offense.

Mathius
    \

Can anyone at ISH confirm that this was actually typed by Mathius?

Until I have proof I must assume this was a fraudulent post by someone by someone other than the intended author.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
    \

Can anyone at ISH confirm that this was actually typed by Mathius?

Until I have proof I must assume this was a fraudulent post by someone by someone other than the intended author.
    i agree with mathius. ive seen rodman guarding greats that range anywhere from jordan and magic and to shaq and malone and olajuwan in spurts..

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Carter has a case. Rodman, however, is nowhere near as athletic as Jordan. Nowhere near. I'm not sure how anyone can even say this with a straight face. How the hell are you measuring athleticism?

And there were certainly not a "lot" of people more athletically gifted than Jordan. Maybe 6-7 guys all time if you include all positions, and those are all arguable.
    whats up loki. i think rodman is every bit as good an ATHLETE as jordan. but no where near the basketball player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    whats up loki. i think rodman is every bit as good an ATHLETE as jordan. but no where near the basketball player.
    Again, how are you measuring athleticism? He didn't jump nearly as well, wasn't as fast/quick, and didn't have nearly the body control or coordination in general. Strength, sure.

Like I said, I entirely disagree. It's a position that can't really be defended.

See, you f*cking idiots think you know everything. When I say something you guys give me sh*t and call me a moron.

I said a LOOONG time ago that if Dennis Rodman had put as much effort into his offensive game as he did his defensive game, he'd have been as good as Michael Jordan, if not better.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    interesting yahoo tidbid:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,103886

the guy was a freak- since 1977-78 season, he has 4 of the top 5 seasons for rebounds per game: 18.7 (1st), 18.3 (2nd) , 17.3 (4th) , 16.8 (5th)- moses malone is 3rd with 17.6 and led the NBA in rebounding from 1991-92 to 1997-1998. hard to argue with phil there.

who is comparable today to rodman? reggie evans? dwight howard? tyson chandler? david lee?

and who do you think is the most athletic player phil has ever coached?
    Shaq is... So what if Rodman averaged those rebounding numbers; tell Shaq to do nothing but rebound and he would have easily trumped those numbers...

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Again, how are you measuring athleticism? He didn't jump nearly as well, wasn't as fast/quick, and didn't have nearly the body control or coordination in general. Strength, sure.

Like I said, I entirely disagree. It's a position that can't really be defended.
    I'm with Loki here. How are you guys measuring athleticism? MJ jumped higher, ran faster, had better body control and coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Jackson
    Rodman could probably play a 48-minute game and play the 48th minute stronger than the first minute of the game
    It looks like Phil is only using stamina to support his argument. Even if Rodman had more stamina, it wasn't by much. Isiah Thomas, Rodman's teammate, said of MJ, "He kept coming and coming and coming. And just when you think that he was wearing down physically and mentally, he would go to another level..." (here at 1:06).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Mathius - is shining a parallel on mental toughness.
    (We need to clarify our posts abit , so we all understand and that includes me)

Yep - Jordan , Pippen , and Rodman were excelent basketball players , but when I watched them and specially that 72 win season - it was the mental toughness that was on display of how to win.
    IMO they put on a clinic the whole season.

How many guys do you know would ride a stationary bike for a ton of minutes while a game was in process , so he could stay loose , so when he was called in to play he would be the opponent to a board ?

Phil had the greatest team of NBA history - and he knows where the credit goes.

-----------

Very good NBA starter

phil jackson is still hitting the bong.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Jeff Foster's the closest comparison to Rodman.

But I'm a bit biased.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    Shaq is... So what if Rodman averaged those rebounding numbers; tell Shaq to do nothing but rebound and he would have easily trumped those numbers...
    I was browsing the Suns roster - new article's on Tucker etc ...
    and realized that Shaq is in his final contract year (correct me if I am wrong)
    Wouldn't Porter just lov to tell Shaq board like no board man has done since Wilt ?

And Shaq would say ...

I'm just wondering where Shaq will end his career after this current contract is up .

Banned

See, you f*cking idiots think you know everything. When I say something you guys give me sh*t and call me a moron.

I said a LOOONG time ago that if Dennis Rodman had put as much effort into his offensive game as he did his defensive game, he'd have been as good as Michael Jordan, if not better. The guy was as mentally focused as they come, and was just as athletically gifted as any other guy.

Do you know how much more physical (muscle) effort it takes to keep tipping the ball and jumping up and down continuously like Rodman did, then it does to just glide in and dunk the ball?

Mathius
    spoken like someone who is out of touch with bball and skill development...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    So being atheletic makes you the GOAT?

GTFO.

Rodman was freakishly atheletic and probably the best rebounder of all time, but that doesn't mean he could have been a great scorer. Shooting the ball is different than playing defense, it requires coordination. I'm a great defensive player and rebounder as well (also good at attacking the rim), but I don't have great coordination, and hence will never be a GREAT shooter.
    NO retard. Again, I keep talking about Rodman's work ethic and mentality and you retards keep bringing up physicality.

Rodman was a ****ing Adonis in the weight room, I'll give him that, but my point is, irregardless of the fact that he didn't WANT to play offense, Rodman had one of the greatest understandings of the game of basketball of any player in his era.

He knew where he needed to be, where the ball was going to go, etc. and used those gifts on defense, because he had a great understanding of plays, fundementals, etc.

You morons see him jumping around tiping a rebound and then wearing a dress on the weekend, and you ignore the fact that the guy plain KNEW the game of basketball better than 85% of the league, if not more.

Mathius

Banned

NO retard. Again, I keep talking about Rodman's work ethic and mentality and you retards keep bringing up physicality.

Rodman was a ****ing Adonis in the weight room, I'll give him that, but my point is, irregardless of the fact that he didn't WANT to play offense, Rodman had one of the greatest understandings of the game of basketball of any player in his era.

He knew where he needed to be, where the ball was going to go, etc. and used those gifts on defense, because he had a great understanding of plays, fundementals, etc.

You morons see him jumping around tiping a rebound and then wearing a dress on the weekend, and you ignore the fact that the guy plain KNEW the game of basketball better than 85% of the league, if not more.

Mathius
    Why do you assume work ethic + athletism = automatic great skills...Sorry but if you spendt time around ball players you will see it doesnt work like that. Some people just have a knack for certain things and some just are bad at certain things.

Carter has a case. Rodman, however, is nowhere near as athletic as Jordan. Nowhere near. I'm not sure how anyone can even say this with a straight face. How the hell are you measuring athleticism?

And there were certainly not a "lot" of people more athletically gifted than Jordan. Maybe 6-7 guys all time if you include all positions, and those are all arguable.
    lol how does he get all those rebounds? He sure as hell not have a great basketball IQ. Jordan was very strong for his position, that helps him a lot but a lot of guys are more athletic than him. But you're Jordan hardcore fanatic so I understand.