Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

Default Phil Jackson: Rodman is the greatest athlete I've ever coached

interesting yahoo tidbid:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,103886

the guy was a freak- since 1977-78 season, he has 4 of the top 5 seasons for rebounds per game: 18.7 (1st), 18.3 (2nd) , 17.3 (4th) , 16.8 (5th)- moses malone is 3rd with 17.6 and led the NBA in rebounding from 1991-92 to 1997-1998. hard to argue with phil there.

who is comparable today to rodman? reggie evans? dwight howard? tyson chandler? david lee?

and who do you think is the most athletic player phil has ever coached?

Default Re: Phil Jackson: Rodman is the greatest athlete I've ever coached

This is going to start trouble.

NBA lottery pick

See, you f*cking idiots think you know everything. When I say something you guys give me sh*t and call me a moron.

I said a LOOONG time ago that if Dennis Rodman had put as much effort into his offensive game as he did his defensive game, he'd have been as good as Michael Jordan, if not better. The guy was as mentally focused as they come, and was just as athletically gifted as any other guy.

Do you know how much more physical (muscle) effort it takes to keep tipping the ball and jumping up and down continuously like Rodman did, then it does to just glide in and dunk the ball?

Mathius

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I said a LOOONG time ago that if Dennis Rodman had put as much effort into his offensive game as he did his defensive game, he'd have been as good as Michael Jordan, if not better. The guy was as mentally focused as they come, and was just as athletically gifted as any other guy.
    All that means is that you were wrong...a LOOOONG time ago.

Decent college freshman gotbacon23's Avatar

See, you f*cking idiots think you know everything. When I say something you guys give me sh*t and call me a moron.

Do you know how much more physical (muscle) effort it takes to keep tipping the ball and jumping up and down continuously like Rodman did, then it does to just glide in and dunk the ball?

Mathius
    i don't know if he would have been a better offensive player just because he was more athletic. by that assumption usain bolt, michael phelps, or lance armstrong could become a great offensive basketball players just because they are 3 of the most athletic people in the history of the world. athleticism (in terms of running, jumping, strength, etc) doesn't always translate to a specific skill set.

having said that- if you were to choose 1 player ever and his job was to "get the ball" rodman would have to be the guy- diving on the floor, rebounding, steals, etc- if their was a loose ball, it was his more times than not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    i don't know if he would have been a better offensive player just because he was more athletic. by that assumption usain bolt, michael phelps, or lance armstrong could become a great offensive basketball players just because they are 3 of the most athletic people in the history of the world. athleticism (in terms of running, jumping, strength, etc) doesn't always translate to a specific skill set.
    To say nothing of the fact that Rodman wasn't nearly as athletic as Jordan (or Kobe or Pippen or Shaq). Jackson's off his rocker on this one.

Myrrh

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Jackson's off his rocker on this one.
    He often is. He just says things to be in the media again, and it's offseason at the moment. So what's an attention whore to do?

So now its great to coach a player who left his sneakers for practice?

Not airballing my layups anymore Young Money's Avatar

Saying someone is the greatest athlete they've been around is a far cry from saying someone is the greatest basketball player they've been around or seen. saying someone is a great athlete is just another way to me of saying that this person had the athletic ability to do anything they wanted if they put their mind to it and developed their skill in that particular matter. He might be speaking honestly in his opinion. The guy was the best rebounder for his time because he chose to focus on that.

Rodman, even though at SEOklahoma College, put up 25ppg and 15rpg for his career.

NBA lottery pick

Mathius

Myrrh

Mathius

Did you forget Rodman was not coordinated at all? He looked like a girl out there trying to shoot or pass the ball.

You're a crack head

Quote Originally Posted by gotbacon23
    interesting yahoo tidbid:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,103886

the guy was a freak- since 1977-78 season, he has 4 of the top 5 seasons for rebounds per game: 18.7 (1st), 18.3 (2nd) , 17.3 (4th) , 16.8 (5th)- moses malone is 3rd with 17.6 and led the NBA in rebounding from 1991-92 to 1997-1998. hard to argue with phil there.

who is comparable today to rodman? reggie evans? dwight howard? tyson chandler? david lee?

and who do you think is the most athletic player phil has ever coached?
    ????????????????????????????

I don't know that Rodman would've fared well as an offensive player. Playing at that 4 spot, alot of what he accomplished was due to his tenacity. I doubt that in his era of big, muscular power forwards, that he could've posted people up and what not. He wasn't a very imposing figure. Active, yeah, but physically dominating enough to play the interior on offense? Not sure.

Fitness Made Simple ManlyStanley69's Avatar

Mathius
    [COLOR="Magenta"]Somebody needs a hug.[/COLOR]