Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Default Re: Top 10 White NBA players of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Wow you get so defensive and condescending just because I said Bird over West.
    I an not upset with you thinking that Bird was better than West!!

You could not even comprehend what I wrote!

If I was starting a team and I had to choose between the two I would probably take Bird, but to dismiss West as you did indicates some major flaws in how you perceive things.

It is how you express yourself and defend your point, not necessarily the point you are trying to defend, which I take exception to.

You had no idea of the teams that West was up against, and as a 6'2"+ guard, you are not going to win a title on your own. Nobody wins a title without help, and that includes MJ, Bird, Magic, Russell, etc..

And by the way, the day I feel "insecure" when dealing with you, is the day when I really will consider myself to be "old."

Good High School Starter haji_d_robertas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 33 23
    My apologies for giving you all the wrong FG% for West that series. It was actually an even more pathetic 32.5 FG% (38-117 FG-FGA).

Some things to think about:

Despite chucking up 117 field goals, he shot a worse percentage than every player who attempted 8 or more field goals except Pat Riley, who only attempted 33 field goals.

The best player of the series and on his own team was Wilt, who took 52 fewer FGA despite shooting 60% and being the reason Jerry West has a championship ring (honestly, West should give his to Wilt for bailing him out like that).

Goodrich shot 46% and McMillian shot 37%. Neither of them attempted over 100 shots. What the hell gave West the right to take so many FGA? He was the worst starter on the floor.
    There are other ways to win basketball games. Averaging 8.9 APG in the playoffs is one of those ways. Just bringing up something you probably don't want to hear, you endlessly prattling child.

Certain posters have made it their life's mission to disparage and discredit the players from the past. Their only argument seems to be "if they played today they would be scrubs," and we all know that that is absolutely impossible to prove or disprove. I do not think players from the past are overrated on this board, I think most intelligent basketball fans are able to put things in perspective just fine without someone constantly barking out how they should rate, perceive or understand the players and the game that today's NBA is built upon. People just don't want to be told how to think and what opinion to have. They step up to defend players from previous eras because they don't want the history of the game to be warped to suit a small minority of posters. I think Bird/West is debatable, but it should not be taken too seriously, because the reality is, we'll never see a Jerry West or a Larry Bird ever again, they are two of the greatest ballers ever, white or black. And who you think is greater is all a matter of opinion and conjecture anyway, because those two guys forgot more about the game of basketball than we'll ever know.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin55

You had no idea of the teams that West was up against, and as a 6'2"+ guard, you are not going to win a title on your own. Nobody wins a title without help, and that includes MJ, Bird, Magic, Russell, etc..

And by the way, the day I feel "insecure" when dealing with you, is the day when I really will consider myself to be "old."

So why excues for West? Now suddenly because he's a 6'2 shoot first guard he should be excused? Bird is a superior player because he's not an undersized guard.

West went 1-8 in the finals. When he put up numbers they lost, the one year he won he didnt put up numbers.

What the hell are you two even arguing about ? All I'm saying is Bird is ranked higher than West on any list, EVER. And you two are saying beacuse he didn't have help or because he was a 6'2 shooting guard. wtf?

And you are old.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    You said ---> "Youtube allows us to catch up to basketball knowledge so old people like you start to feel insecure."

I think that says it all.
    Obviously, if someone wasn't born yet when the old timers play, the best thing they can do is go and dig up old footage and watch.

Only condescending fools on high horses like you and that Paladin clown believes you guys are superior because you guys actually saw them play live. All that means is you were born before us. It doesn't somehow make your basketball knowledge superior or make you smarter.

It's a dumbass logic that insecure cats like you apply.

Say for example, in 2020, an 18 year old claims Lebron was better than Jason Kidd. It'd be pretty dumb for me to say "you never seen Kidd play live, you only seen kidd on DVDs and video clips, what do you know?"

And I dunno if I buy the fact you're old too Chopchop, I can buy Paladin being old cause he's so ****, but you've always been known as a Kobe groupie here... you'r eprobably younger than I am. You're just defending West cause he's a Laker.
    Last edited by EricForman; 08-21-2008 at 03:48 AM.

HeartHustleHope

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    No way does Bird get #1 over Jerry West.
    Go and die.

Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

So why excues for West? Now suddenly because he's a 6'2 shoot first guard he should be excused? Bird is a superior player because he's not an undersized guard.

West went 1-8 in the finals. When he put up numbers they lost, the one year he won he didnt put up numbers.

What the hell are you two even arguing about ? All I'm saying is Bird is ranked higher than West on any list, EVER. And you two are saying beacuse he didn't have help or because he was a 6'2 shooting guard. wtf?

And you are old.

Why are you taking such a harsh tone towards Paladin55? I don't get the impression that he is talking to you without respect so why are you not giving him his proper respect?

Yeah, I

Obviously, if someone wasn't born yet when the old timers play, the best thing they can do is go and dig up old footage and watch.

Only condescending fools on high horses like you and that Paladin clown believes you guys are superior because you guys actually saw them play live. All that means is you were born before us. It doesn't somehow make your basketball knowledge superior or make you smarter.

Say for example, in 2020, an 18 year old claims Lebron was better than Jason Kidd. It'd be pretty dumb for me to say "you never seen Kidd play live, you only seen kidd on DVDs and video clips, what do you know?"

And I dunno if I buy the fact you're old too Chopchop, I can buy Paladin being old cause he's so ****, but you've always been known as a Kobe groupie here... you'r eprobably younger than I am. You're just defending West cause he's a Laker.
    What? Of course you

National High School Star

Don't hate technology. Youtube allows us to catch up to basketball knowledge so old people like you start to feel insecure.
    Youtube? There is maybe 1 full Jerry West game on Youtube and alot of footage from 1960s does not exist.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    That damned BULLS and his aliases has covered almost half my ignore list.

In the Finals? Oh, he "sucked":

1962: 30.9 ppg
    1963: 29.5 ppg
    1965: 33.8 ppg
    1966: 33.9 ppg
    1968: 31.3 ppg
    1969: 37.9 ppg
    1970: 31.3 ppg, 7.7 apg
    1972: 19.8 ppg, 8.8 apg
    1973: 21.4 ppg, 4.6 apg

As you see, he was a choker in the Finals and clearly the reason the Lakers lost so many championships...
    How is this showing he choked in the finals?
    I guess Russ Sam Jones and Hondo didnt have anything to do with the lakers losing

How is this showing he choked in the finals?
    I guess Russ Sam Jones and Hondo didnt have anything to do with the lakers losing
    I was clearly sarcastic, man. After all, if I wanted to make a point of someone choking, I wouldn't add his 1962-1970 Finals' stats at all. West holds the records for most 30+ ppg Finals series and most 40+ point Finals games.

By taking 52 more FGA than the best player on your team and shooting worse than all but one player who played a major role, you are hurting your team more than you are helping. Mr. Chuck was still bitter over losing the 1969 Finals in 7 games, so in 1972, he decided to come out chucking like no player had ever chucked before. Why did he decide to play this way only in 1972? Answer is simple: He knew Wilt would bail him out in case he failed miserably (which he did).

Bird/West isn't debatable at all. Bird was clearly better, never choked in a playoff series the way West did during the entire '72 playoffs, and won 3 rings without the help of the most dominant center of his generation. We probably won't see another Bird again, but we have already seen plenty of 6'3'' or shorter white players who were much better than West.
    Prattle on, child.

Certain posters have made it their life's mission to disparage and discredit the players from the past. Their only argument seems to be "if they played today they would be scrubs," and we all know that that is absolutely impossible to prove or disprove. I do not think players from the past are overrated on this board, I think most intelligent basketball fans are able to put things in perspective just fine without someone constantly barking out how they should rate, perceive or understand the players and the game that today's NBA is built upon. People just don't want to be told how to think and what opinion to have. They step up to defend players from previous eras because they don't want the history of the game to be warped to suit a small minority of posters. I think Bird/West is debatable, but it should not be taken too seriously, because the reality is, we'll never see a Jerry West or a Larry Bird ever again, they are two of the greatest ballers ever, white or black. And who you think is greater is all a matter of opinion and conjecture anyway, because those two guys forgot more about the game of basketball than we'll ever know.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    I was clearly sarcastic, man. After all, if I wanted to make a point of someone choking, I wouldn't add his 1962-1970 Finals' stats at all. West holds the records for most 30+ ppg Finals series and most 40+ point Finals games.

Well you sure had me man. i was like wow

Local High School Star

Watch some more Youtube, son.