Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Kobe's 81-point game is SEVERELY underrated

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    I think Jalen Rose had a part in this...looking back.

- It seemed after the 2000 Finals , Kobe and Jalen forged a competitive dislike for each other (basketball court only)...jalen in the Finals was a beast/veteran...and seemed to push Kobe to almost the brink of a physical confrontation a few times.

- Watching the game it seemed like Rose/ peterson were like " we aint gonna show Kobe no double teams...we will shut him down"...and I can totally se Rose going Machismo trying to shut down Kobe one on one....and thus Rose easily selling Sam Mitchell on this idea.

- Lakers were down big to Toronto...it seemed like Kobe was gonna score but Toronto was going to still be ahead....Rose could easily say " you scored some points but we won"....

- Then Kobe went to another level and Rose's /teams ego just took over and they never decided to take the ball away from Kobe....they wanted to prove a point...and it cost them dearly
    Jalen said on his podcast that Sam Mitchell refused to let them double kobe. He said during the game that he went against the strategy on one play and Sam Mitchell immediately subbed him out.

Jalen said that there were player/coach friction that whole season and Mitchell was trying to teach them a lesson.

It's not underrated.

It was one of the greatest single game performances of all-time. For those who like the advanced metric, game score, the 81 point performance is ranked 2nd all-time to only Michael Jordan's 69/18 game.

I give you props for proping that 05-06 Raptors, OP.

But yeah, people hating on the performance because of excuses like bad defense or whatever are idiots. I'm sorry, but 81 is 81. You don't let any player own your team like that.
    Last edited by Legends66NBA7; 08-23-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replay32
    Jalen said on his podcast that Sam Mitchell refused to let them double kobe. He said during the game that he went against the strategy on one play and Sam Mitchell immediately subbed him out.

Jalen said that there were player/coach friction that whole season and Mitchell was trying to teach them a lesson.
    Yeah, Mitchell had a lot of fights with his players. Almost made Rafear Alston retire because of how much he was trashing him. Apparently, even Mitchell and Vince Carter had a fight and Vince's mom got involved about it.

Rose wasn't stopping Kobe that night, either way. He was always a bad defender for us, even on help defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    It's not underrated.

It was one of the greatest single game performances of all-time. For those whole the advanced metric, game score, the 81 point performance is ranked 2nd all-time to only Michael Jordan's 69/18 game.

I give you props for proping that 05-06 Raptors, OP.

But yeah, people hating on the performance because of excuses like bad defense or whatever are idiots. I'm sorry, but 81 is 81. You don't let any player own your team like that.
    OP brings hate on himself by bringing up a bad game by LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by Replay32

yeah apart of me thinks Jalen at the start of the game got in Sam's ear and was all like..

" let Me and Mo check Kobe...we can guard his **** A**!"....." He may score but we will win by double digit's.....Kwame and Smuch can't do anything"....

then after Kobe went bananas.....

" hey coach..we need to start doubling Kobe"....

then coach Mitchell was like...

" **** NO!.....you want to call the defense and act like you can guard em'...then do it!"

then Jalen spun it around and blamed coach...

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Yeah, Mitchell had a lot of fights with his players. Almost made Rafear Alston retire because of how much he was trashing him. Apparently, even Mitchell and Vince Carter had a fight and Vince's mom got involved about it.

Rose wasn't stopping Kobe that night, either way. He was always a bad defender for us, even on help defense.
    You are probably right, but to not see an aggressive double when you have that many points is odd. Kobe was playing with Smush, luke walton, and kwame brown for crying out loud. lol

I still prefer lebron's 3ple doubles but it was an amazing scoring record.

It probably is somewhat underrated in that nobody talks about it anymore. I'm sure when Kobe retires we'll see this game in the spotlight once again.

Only thing that ruins it for me is that it happened in this era:

But even then there's no denying it's one of the most impressive individual performances ever.

It's underrated compared to Wilt's. I hope someone like Durant gets really hot like that again
    Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    OP brings hate on himself by bringing up a bad game by LeBron
    Stop being so uppity

[QUOTE=NoGunzJustSkillz]You guys remember that game Dallas was beating Lakers by like 20+ points (maybe like 30 points) at halftime and came back and won it? Maybe like 4-5 years ago? I just remember Mark Cuban at halftime saying how great it felt during a halftime interview.

n/m, found it: Bryant scores 21 of game-high 27 points in fourth

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_PgR66ehq0"]Kobe Bryant 2002-03

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Arguably the greatest regular season performance in NBA history, including every MJ game and including Wilts 100 pts.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Not airballing my layups anymore

The best individual scoring performance ever. Who wants to watch a center cherry pick an entire game?

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

DFish is such a f.aggot. Even in a thread about Kobes historic game, he rather talk about Lebron

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobr
    People like to try to minimize such an amazing game by Kobe by claiming the Raptors were terrible, but let's take a look at the guys on their 2005-06 roster.

[LIST=1][*]Chris Bosh - 1x NBA champion, 7x All-Star, Toronto's all-time leading scorer, he was putting up 22.5/9.2/2.6 on 50.5% in 2005-06. Had 18/8/2 during the game.[*]Jalen Rose - Led the Fab Five in scoring (19 PPG), a career-best 24/4/5 NBA player. 17/5/6 during the game.[*]Matt Bonner - 1x NBA champion, 1x NBA 3PT% Leader, a decent role playe for his limited minutes.[*]Jose Calderon - Toronto's all-time leader in assists, a career 10/2.5/7.2 player.[*]Charlie Villanueva - Averaged 13/6.4/1.1 in 2005-06.[*]Mike James - He was averaging 20.3/3.3/5.8 on 37 MPG and 79 games in 2005-06. He put up a nice double-double during the game. Led his team with 26 points, 10 assists, 2 steals on 66.7% FG, 75% 3PT.[/LIST]

Meanwhile Kobe had Odom and shit for teammates in 2006. Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Cook, George, Walton?

Other reasons Kobe's performance was so impressive:

[LIST][*]LA was down by 14 at the half (TOR 63 - LAL 49). Kobe's insane run in the 2nd half ended the game with LA up by 18 (TOR 104 - LAL 122).

[*]He put up those 81 points on incredible efficiency: 60.9% FG (28-46), 53.8% 3PT (7-13), 90% FT (18-20).

[*]He led all 4 quarters in scoring; 1st- 14 pts, 2nd- 12 pts, 3rd- 27 pts, 4th- 28 pts

[*]He put on this insane scoring show with only 3 turnovers in the game. In comparison, Odom had 4 turnovers on his 8 points in that game. Two days before Kobe's 81-point game, LeBron was losing to the Warriors and putting up 14 points on 6 turnovers and 5 for 22 shooting (22.7%) from the field.

[*]Kobe's advanced metrics during this game: 73.9 TS%, 23.0 AST%, 158 ORtg, 107 DRtg[/LIST]
    How can it be underrated if you f#gs never shut up about it?